• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gyms Speculation Thread

There is probably going to be a Steel gym considering the industrialization
I'm pretty sure the football stadiums aren't gyms, since there's only 5 of them. Like some people said earlier, it's probably a side competion of sorts. It looks like they are battling in the stadium in the trailer though, so it's probably a battle oriented side challenge.

There is one in the industrial city that can be vaguely seen in the trailer & direct, and the grass one in the trailer even had the standard gym sign. There will hopefully be more to them this time, like trials and unique features that set them apart from the past rather than just puzzles.

Maybe each stadium/gym have a different sport inside, like a theme... So the grass one -> soccer, ice -> hockey, ecc...

Nah According Galar Region about there Gyms are 6.
Actually The 3 big cities has Gyms 3.
The Total Gyms 9 except Elites in Big Tower.
The Big Tower has Elites.

I just hope that the Gym Leaders all have some sort of significance this time around outside of their Gyms. Gen V did a marvelous job there, which is why XY was a huge disappointment in that regard. Like maybe the Gym Leaders have "day jobs", or get integrated with the plot, or at least do SOMETHING outside of their Gyms (not counting a place like the Battle Chateau). I don't really care much about the types or themes, just as long as the Gym Leaders aren't glorified level bosses that you see once, maybe twice, in the game and then they lose all their significance after that.

I just hope that the Gym Leaders all have some sort of significance this time around outside of their Gyms. Gen V did a marvelous job there, which is why XY was a huge disappointment in that regard. Like maybe the Gym Leaders have "day jobs", or get integrated with the plot, or at least do SOMETHING outside of their Gyms (not counting a place like the Battle Chateau). I don't really care much about the types or themes, just as long as the Gym Leaders aren't glorified level bosses that you see once, maybe twice, in the game and then they lose all their significance after that.
Well, the jobs of the Gym Leaders were used in Gen VI:

Viola: Photography. She has photos in her gym that are displayed prominently.
Grant: Well, he likes sports like rock climbing.
Korrina: She's a skater and her Gym looks like a skate park.
Ramos: He's a gardener IIRC. His Gym is in a giant tree.
Clemont: He is an inventor and may be in charge of maintaining Prism Tower.
Valerie: She's a fashion designer that is a little loopy. Her gym fits her style.
Olympia: She seems like a fortune teller, and her Gym fits that theme.
Wulfric: Okay, you got me here. He doesn't seem to have another job aside from "Leader".

However, I do agree that they don't do much aside from being bosses.

Or Parliament. There's no Pokemon battle, you just have to fistfight Theresa May.

Well, that's a No Deal situation to be in no matter how you slice it.

Completely agree with you. That really adds to the lore and life of the world itself. I would have liked to see that expanded on, see them actually dong their occupations as well. Like Lenora excavating new artifacts, Burgh making artwork, or the day to day struggles of Drayden being a Mayor while wrestling Pokemon to take the stress off.

I feel like HGSS were actually the first set of games to have at least made an effort in the direction of giving Gym Leaders more characterization, as you saw them out and about more than in the past.

Not... really sure how I feel about Gyms coming back. Like, on one hand, it feels nice returning to the traditional formula of things, but on the other hand... Gym Leaders (with the exception of BW I believe) have historically been really unremarkable, usually having zero bearing on the plot whatsoever.

I just hope the Gym Leaders of Galar are memorable, at the very least.

Well, the jobs of the Gym Leaders were used in Gen VI:

Viola: Photography. She has photos in her gym that are displayed prominently.
Grant: Well, he likes sports like rock climbing.
Korrina: She's a skater and her Gym looks like a skate park.
Ramos: He's a gardener IIRC. His Gym is in a giant tree.
Clemont: He is an inventor and may be in charge of maintaining Prism Tower.
Valerie: She's a fashion designer that is a little loopy. Her gym fits her style.
Olympia: She seems like a fortune teller, and her Gym fits that theme.
Wulfric: Okay, you got me here. He doesn't seem to have another job aside from "Leader".

However, I do agree that they don't do much aside from being bosses.

Wulfric is secretly the santa claus.

kidding aside, while they did really well on gen 5, that doesn't mean gen 6 ain't all that bad. Some of them spent their time outside of gyms as well. It's the game directors' decision to make the story lighter since gen 5 got too heavy to the point it became too hard to finish/remember (i haven't really finished black/white2 and my friends don't recall them that much)

i think they need to strike a balance of story and interaction i guess

Not... really sure how I feel about Gyms coming back. Like, on one hand, it feels nice returning to the traditional formula of things, but on the other hand... Gym Leaders (with the exception of BW I believe) have historically been really unremarkable, usually having zero bearing on the plot whatsoever.
I guess that depends on your perspective of plot though. Plot as in whatever the villainous team cooks up? Or plot as in your personal journey to become the Champion of the region? :lapras:

Because while their interaction varies from region to region with the former, they're instrumental in the process for the latter.

I guess that depends on your perspective of plot though. Plot as in whatever the villainous team cooks up? Or plot as in your personal journey to become the Champion of the region? :lapras:

Because while their interaction varies from region to region with the former, they're instrumental in the process for the latter.

It's more the former I was referring to. =P

In SM, we at least get to see Hala spar with an Ultra Beast briefly in that arc, and I believe other Trial Captains/Island Kahunas (I think Nanu and Hapu come to mind pretty much) are seen more outside of their role.

Even if they don't get involved in the evil team's shenanigans, at the very least I'd like to see them do more things other than plant themselves inside the Gym forever.

I want a Dark gym.

If there's a Rock gym, don't make it first or second. Make it a second half gym.

This is my gym speculation.

it's really hard since there seems to be a very few major location yet they managed to do it well in Kalos.

Tho in Galar we got hint with the stadiums but there are only 6 that are obvious.

Since there's a quite big gap between the player's house ad the next major city, I thought there would be a "basic" gym like in gen5, where the player should familiarize and get briefed with the gym/stadiums in galar so I put the first gym near the player's town.

I really want a dark gym as well tho they dragon figure head make it very hard to believe :(

Attachments

• gymsgalar.jpg
    gymsgalar.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 48
Since there's a quite big gap between the player's house ad the next major city, I thought there would be a "basic" gym like in gen5, where the player should familiarize and get briefed with the gym/stadiums in galar so I put the first gym near the player's town.
I don't think that they would do that unless the games are a Gen 5-style semi-reboot, which has been confirmed to not happen.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom