• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gyms Speculation Thread

I just hope they mix in some gym numbering and E4 types. I am sick of Psychic, Dark, Fighting and Ghost E4 member since they are so freaking overused as E4 types so kudos to Sinnoh, Kalos and Alola to introduce new ones and I hope they at least use some types we haven't seen since generations except for the 4 named ones. We haven't got an Electric type E4 which still annoys me and that for the simple reason that there are 5 Gyms + 1 Trial using the Electric type.

For the gyms, change up the numbering for some types. Ice was mostly the 7th gym, Rock the 1st, Bug always one of the early gyms, Psychic 6th or 7th etc. What's the problem to have Ice as the third or fourth gym? I mean I wouldn't put them as the first but a bit later for sure. We haven't seen a real Fire-Type gym since Gen 3 (and no I doun't count the Striaton gym with Chili as the leader as one), also no Steel type gym since Gen 4 and no freaking Dark gym yet, but Gen 8 may change that.
Well, Psychic has only been repeated twice in the E4, so it's not that overused.

I've made a list of used types for Gyms and Elite 4 members in the past out of boredom. Feel free to use it for your future references.

Gyms

5 times

Electric
Water

4 times
Fighting
Grass
Ice
Normal
Rock

3 times
Fire
Flying
Bug
Psychic

2 times
Ground
Ghost
Steel
Dragon
Poison

1 time
Fairy

Yet to
Dark

Elite 4

4 times

Fight
Ghost

3 times
Dark
Dragon
Psychic

2 times
Fire
Ice
Steel

1 time
Flying
Bug
Ground
Rock
Poison
Water

Yet to
Electric
Fairy
Grass
Normal

I just realized today that the Elite Four have had 3 old ladies (Agatha, Bertha, and Drasna), but there's never been an old lady Gym Leader (like, you could maybe make an argument for Olympia or some of the other gym leaders who are probably not young, but they're still fairly young looking). I figure it probably wasn't a deliberate decision, so maybe Galar will finally get one?

I guess the only thing against this theory is that the Gyms are those big sports arenas, so maybe the Gym leaders this time will all be young athletic types... That would be kind of a bummer though, I feel like gym leaders are more interesting when they're all visually distinct from each other.

That being said, since Pokemon battling has been done by tons of older people in past games, the trainer's physical fitness might still not really matter when it comes to gym battles- not to mention that plenty of older people are physically fit, even if they aren't usually professional athletes anymore.

I don't think that they are going to go overboard with the sports theme.
I certainly hope so.

I am a big soccer fan myself, but I am an even bigger fan of Pokémon. And I don't think these two things (Pokémon and sports) mix too well together. Unless it's for some side activity like Pokeathlon (which is great). But not as a central concept of a Pokémon game.

I like to eat fish, and I like to eat chocolate. I just don't like to mix them ;)

Last edited:
I know a lot of people have been wondering if the stadium gym in the icy area will be ice or dark. It's got black coloring on it yeah, but I keep thinking to how LGE had Freezy Frost which utilized black ice instead of blue. I hope it ends up being dark, but for now I'm still thinking it'll be ice.

I know a lot of people have been wondering if the stadium gym in the icy area will be ice or dark. It's got black coloring on it yeah, but I keep thinking to how LGE had Freezy Frost which utilized black ice instead of blue. I hope it ends up being dark, but for now I'm still thinking it'll be ice.
I'm thinking that it is Ice too. Grass is pretty much confirmed, and I think that the other gym types are most likely Water, Steel, Rock, Fairy, Dragon, and Electric.

Dragon, ice, fire, grass, dark, water, fairy, electri. Have weird feeling all pokemon in them should be dual typed this generation and 3 or more pokemon used by gym leaders. A 3battle with use of 3 pokemon, a double battle, normal 3vs3 a new battle style with pokemon moving and changing positions on field even. Stadions? What if we race and battle at the same time.

3 vs 3 while changing positions has already been done in the game: they are Rotation Battles.

3vs3 but not that they face each other all 3 at once like in ordinary triple batle that one is next to other or one vs one and rest hidden in pokeballs.

Triple battle but would need to be called difrently. Maybe Triple Front battle?

But what if they are positioned not next to each other but in a line? With posibility of jumping,flying,digging and other stuff?(u-turn and switching moves like teleport used to change positions too and not only to switch out pokemon?
Imagine a line of defense. The sp. attacker in front of trainer before him a middle one and a defense oriented on the first position. Some attacks and moves would only be able to hit a poke depending on position and kind of move used by the attacker and position of the oponent.
Then pokemon with shielding moves and pokemon with abilities and moves like decidueye to would get totaly different purpose.
Only the front poke could use physical direct priority moves and physical moves. A bounce , rock slide,earthquake, earth power, fly or dig , vacuum wave from any position. Special moves all with exception of beam moves that would need to be used from the front line to not hit team mate accidently. Height of pokemon also could be then even used more. Immunities, healing, draining everything would change if they would be in a line directly before the trainers one after the other. Interesting would be using sound moves bc if your pokemon in front is soundproof they would not work. If it would be ghost and sound move hypervoice then it would go through it and hit 1 front oponent.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom