• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Gyms Speculation Thread

Yeah, it disproves nothing. The gym leaders can very easily be coded to have different teams (or team levels) based on the number of badges you have when facing them.

It's something I don't understand why they haven't tried doing ever... I get it is slightly more challenging to open things up story-wise, but it's honestly not challenging to code in a couple different teams for each gym. I'm still holding out hope that the first three gyms can be challenged in any order, and then the next few gyms in any order, etc. The demo shows the animation of Nessa's badge being your first, even though her team is stronger than Milo's based on revealed screenshots/video. We'll see.

It's something I don't understand why they haven't tried doing ever... I get it is slightly more challenging to open things up story-wise, but it's honestly not challenging to code in a couple different teams for each gym. I'm still holding out hope that the first three gyms can be challenged in any order, and then the next few gyms in any order, etc. The demo shows the animation of Nessa's badge being your first, even though her team is stronger than Milo's based on revealed screenshots/video. We'll see.
That's probably just for the demo and nothing more.

Nessa's Drednaw was shown to be Level 24 in official screenshots.
The demo is official material as well, and all of it is for the same purpose: promotion. They contradict each other, meaning nothing is set in stone either way.

Nah, they could make it possible for you to skip Milo's gym and fight Nessa's Level 24 Drednaw before going back and fighting Milo's weaker Level 19 Eldegoss.
Considering that they've done a more linear structure in XY and SM, I highly doubt that this is happening.

they could do anything. knowing gf, they won't, and they'll make the game as boring and linear as possible. thats likely. but it isn't proven. thats all anyone is saying

I've never heard of this, and there's enough stadiums and other buildings on the map for 8 gyms.
And, I don't know if I'm misremembering things, but the ring-puzzle thing looks like it fits 8 badges if Nessa's badge size is any indication.
I thought I saw one before somewhere in a screenshot, but there could still be 8 gyms. We just can't see any obvious ones aside from the 6 we know of.

Im dissapointed in seeing Goldeen and Drednav only on the gym leaders side. Hoped for more pokemon. Wishiwashi and Golisopod in a gym would be nice.

I'm really thinking that her team will change for the final game, including her number of Pokémon. Drednaw will probably be her true Ace because her uniform matches it, and it is likely the reason they revealed it in this first batch of reveals instead of later on. However, she probably only has two Pokémon in order to keep the demo short, and Goldeen can easily be a random choice due to them not wanting to show her real team (which can include unrevealed Pokémon). I mean... One trainer in her gym had an Impidimp. The demo kind of means nothing in terms of how the final game will be.

I'm really thinking that her team will change for the final game, including her number of Pokémon. Drednaw will probably be her true Ace because her uniform matches it, and it is likely the reason they revealed it in this first batch of reveals instead of later on. However, she probably only has two Pokémon in order to keep the demo short, and Goldeen can easily be a random choice due to them not wanting to show her real team (which can include unrevealed Pokémon). I mean... One trainer in her gym had an Impidimp. The demo kind of means nothing in terms of how the final game will be.

I hope She and Milo get 3 pokemon , instead of gen 1 I would want to see unused pokemon and new ones. Maybe by rebatling Drednaw could evolve? This way in the anime a rematch would be more interesting.
Grass gym I would hope for Trevenant and Gorgeist. Really if not in Alola then now would perfectly fit in.

Last edited:
Some Gym Leaders can have just two Pokémon. Brock, Misty, Falkner, Whitney, Chuck, Roxanne, Brawly, Tate & Liza, Cilan, Chili, Cress, Lenora, Cheren, Roxie, Viola and Grant have used two Pokémon for their Gym Battles.

Some Gym Leaders can have just two Pokémon. Brock, Misty, Falkner, Whitney, Chuck, Roxanne, Brawly, Tate & Liza, Cilan, Chili, Cress, Lenora, Cheren, Roxie, Viola and Grant have used two Pokémon for their Gym Battles.

I know but I liked more those with 3 pokemon and more strategies.
How often do we get gym leaders using switching moves(withdraw, roar, u-turn-dragon tail), trapping moves, perish song and other interesting strategies?

Think we will ever get ‘relative levelling’ rather than ‘fixed levelling’ from Gym Leaders (and others)?

So I go into a gym, my highest level is 24, Gym Leader will be set at say 24 + x. Also, x could vary depending on difficulty level selected, e.g. Standard = 0, Hard = 5.

This opens up the game to be non linear, so if I ‘skip’ a gym, then it no longer under levelled when I return to it, letting you choose the order. Wouldn’t be completely open, story / plot would be messy, so it would be for example compulsory first gym, choose next three in whatever order, choose next three in whatever order, compulsory final gym.

Think we will ever get ‘relative levelling’ rather than ‘fixed levelling’ from Gym Leaders (and others)?

So I go into a gym, my highest level is 24, Gym Leader will be set at say 24 + x. Also, x could vary depending on difficulty level selected, e.g. Standard = 0, Hard = 5.

This opens up the game to be non linear, so if I ‘skip’ a gym, then it no longer under levelled when I return to it, letting you choose the order. Wouldn’t be completely open, story / plot would be messy, so it would be for example compulsory first gym, choose next three in whatever order, choose next three in whatever order, compulsory final gym.

I doubt this will ever happen, since they don't only need to change the lvls, but also the movesets.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom