• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Hail vs. Sandstorm

Ranger Jack Walker

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score
Hail.png
vs.
Sandstorm.png

The counterpart to the Rain Dance vs. Sunny Day thread.

Which do you prefer?

Which is more useful?

I like Hail more but it is easier to make a Sandstorm team due to there being much more variety to choose from compared to Hail Team. Walrein is frigging beast in Hail.

I like Hail more aesthetically (it's animation is prettier than Sandstorm's), but Sandstorm gets my vote for being more useful.

For one, Hail hinders all Pokemon that aren't part Ice. This means that Hail teams are incredibly one dimensional. Sandstorm lets you choose between Ground types, Rock types and Steel types (and at least one Grass type), effectively tripling your options.

Then there's the fact that Hail's only other advantage (aside from activating certain abilities) is 100% accurate Blizzards and nerfing Solarbeam and weather related healing moves (which Sandstorm also provides)

On the other hand, Sandstorm has the much better benefit of increasing the Sp. Def of all Rock type Pokemon by 50%. Also? More perma Sand Pokemon than perma Hail (or Rain) Pokemon.

Then there's the Pokemon that can abuse the weather. Ignoring tiers and battle performance, the only Hail abusers I like are Glaceon, Abomasnow and Walrein.

Sandstorm, on the other hand, has the always epic Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Cacturne, Garchomp and a ton of Steel and Ground types (Torterra, Scizor, Lucario, Rhyperior, etc).

Hail. While Sandstorm doesn't bother me, as I have 4 pokemon on my team that are immune to it, Hail ill always be the annoying little shitbag. but still, it's reallly useful.

I dont like either of them

I usually have a super cutie who's an Ice type and never used a rock, ground or steel type too often

I like Hail more aesthetically (it's animation is prettier than Sandstorm's), but Sandstorm gets my vote for being more useful.

For one, Hail hinders all Pokemon that aren't part Ice. This means that Hail teams are incredibly one dimensional. Sandstorm lets you choose between Ground types, Rock types and Steel types (and at least one Grass type), effectively tripling your options.

Then there's the fact that Hail's only other advantage (aside from activating certain abilities) is 100% accurate Blizzards and nerfing Solarbeam and weather related healing moves (which Sandstorm also provides)

On the other hand, Sandstorm has the much better benefit of increasing the Sp. Def of all Rock type Pokemon by 50%. Also? More perma Sand Pokemon than perma Hail (or Rain) Pokemon.

Then there's the Pokemon that can abuse the weather. Ignoring tiers and battle performance, the only Hail abusers I like are Glaceon, Abomasnow and Walrein.

Sandstorm, on the other hand, has the always epic Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Cacturne, Garchomp and a ton of Steel and Ground types (Torterra, Scizor, Lucario, Rhyperior, etc).

↑ This explains my opinion :B

Sandstorm. My favorite weather effect, and a majority of my pokemon are hardly affected by this.

Sandstorm's better, naturally. I just wish they could've have made at least Water type immune to Hail. Did Hail get any buffs in Gen 5?

This is a tough one for me personally because I love ice and ground types a lot. But I'm going to have to go with Sandstorm, its more useful and it provides that boost for Rock types.

Hail teams are limited. They have that ever-annoying Stallrein, but you know what Sandstrom teams have? Garchomp. Doryuuzu. Regirock with more Sp. Defense. And so much more.

Sandstorm clearly wins in game terms, no matter how boring flying sand is to me.

Which do you prefer?
Sand flying every-which-way.
Which is more useful?
Same as above.

Hail looks prettier, but Sandstorm is more useful. It doesn't effect 3 types, while Hail hits everything but Ice types (which I rarely use on my team.)

Alright, Hail definitely is the weather with the least support (still a little better than Fog, but still, that's not a true weather in battles).

One of the problems with Hail is yes, as mentioned a few times, not enough support or point. The only blessing besides immunity to damage for Ice is the 100% Blizzards, and Pokemon with Snow Cloak and Ice Body, which isn't a lot, that's for sure. It's a real pity, though, because even an Attack or Defence boost for Ice types would help them tremendously. But still, Hail has some star players that cannot be ignored. Walrein is a very sturdy wall in Hail, as recovery becomes second nature for him. Mamoswine is also a Hail player, but because he doesn't mind Sandstorm, he can also deal with the Sandstorm initiators as well. Froslass had great Speed along with Spikes. Glaceon is a beast in Hail with good Speed and high Special Attack. Not a bad selection, but too bad Ice is a cursed defensive type.

Alright, Sandstorm time. Sandstorm is shaping out to be not only one of the dominant weather, but also a dangerous one. The fact that Rock-types got a boost in Special Defence is a good thing, because it helps them differentiate from Ground and Steel Pokemon who are also immune to the weather. This is great news for any Rock type, and some that greatly benefit from the weather are: Tyranitar, Gigaiasu (now more defensive than Metagross), Regirock (now more defensive than Registeel), Cradily, Shuckle, Rhyperior and Aggron.

Perhaps the most dangerous characteristic of Sandstorm are the abilities. What are Sandstorm's abilities? Sand Veil, Sand Throw and Sand Power. If a Pokemon doesn't have the type to resist the sand damage, they automatically can. So, Muurando (Sand Throw) and Cacturne (Sand Veil) can play in Sand too. Garchomp is a threat because if you miss hitting him/her, he/she can wipe you. Landlos is a very fearsome powerhouse as well, because he is extremely powerful in Sand too. Perhaps Sandstorm's greatest monster is Doryuuzu. His Speed is not only ideal for outspeeding many Pokemon, he is also naturally powerful. This has made an impact on any team who are looking to win, because if you have no solution for Garchomp or Doryuuzu, you lose.

As I say, Sandstorm has officially become the more dangerous and useful weather. I think Hail is the more interesting one, though, because I believe the less powerful weather is the more interesting one.

Thanks for reading.

Sandstorm is better. It raises the Special Defense of Rock-types, and Rock, Ground, and Steel types are immune.

Sandstorm.

Like Green said, Rock Type's Special Defense is boosted.
And the only type that Hail doesn't hit is the Ice type, while Sandstorm has three. (This is on the 'annoyance factor' of the moves)

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom