• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hand-colored cel animation or digitally colored animation

Which one is your favorite?

• Hand-colored cel animation

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • Digital colored animation

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters
Hand-colored.
It just looked so much more... like someone had really put an effort into it;
like there was genuine human input. It looks less smooth and bright, but I honestly prefer it.
And, besides, Jessie's hair really should not be purple, if you ask me. Does anyone here know why her hair color got changed?

I guess one could say that they like the feel of hand colored cel animation better, but I think that digitally colored work just looks cleaner.

There is still a lot of effort put in digitally colored animation,in fact,the difficult part in animation is not coloring,the part that requires true effort is planing the scenes,drawing them and...you know...actually animatingthem. If the digital colored animation looks smoother and is faster and easier to produce (the ideal in animation works,where they have to draw tons and tons of frames)then I say yes to digitally colored animation and no to the obsolete hand-colored one.

Hand colored in my case. I actually quit watching not long into the digital era and after only about 20 or so episodes of it.

Digital coloring. I really like the Rocket-dan's and Satoshi's hair colors as they are now.

Aethetically, the only thing that is really effected by the change to digital animation are the colors. The abilities of the people animating the show didn't miraculously change during the switch, nor does it mean they can slack off. If anything, while the series still isn't spectacular, the animation has improved greatly compared to what it once was. They've basically traded in painstakingly painting cels in exchange for more fluid overall movement.

Apart from the fact that Jessie's hair is a different color, there's really nothing about digital animation I can find fault with. Everything is more or less the same and the background artwork is much nicer to look at. Strictly speaking about the animation itself, it is better, of that there is no doubt. So naturally, I prefer it as it is now if it benefits pretty much everything.

Last edited:
What's the one they're using now? Digital? Okay, I like that one better. I can hardly watch the older episodes now. The colouring is just ghastly.

What's the one they're using now? Digital? Okay, I like that one better. I can hardly watch the older episodes now. The colouring is just ghastly.

I know, I saw a re-run of the second movie on TV the other day and I was like... What is up with the animation ? It was good then, but compared to the DP movies, it's just not on par. Same thing for the show.

Last edited:
Hand-colored. Don't get me wrong, as digital looks awsome, but there is something in that human touch that just can't be matched by a computer. I think its just me beeing a old school fan boy though.

While the digital animation is great and gives us crispy colors and fluid animation, I must admit the 3D graphics used for some attacks look out of place in my opinion, and I redhaired Jessie used to look gorgeous. But since the aesthetical differences are so few I think in the overall both techniques would end in a tie.

Except tha digital animation is more practical, so my vote goes for that one.

Still I wonder, was it that difficult to animate red hair? Why did they changed Jessie's hair color when they switched from hand-drawn to digital?

This is a tough one for me.

I liked the cel-animation for the art-style, but now I like the digital coloring and overall animation...

...My only problem now are those tacky looking 3-D attack effects, some look awful.

Hand-colored. Don't get me wrong, as digital looks awsome, but there is something in that human touch that just can't be matched by a computer.

I agree, I prefer the hand-colored for the reason quoted above.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom