• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Handheld gaming - what systems/devices do you use?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
I'm really into handheld gaming and play my devices primarily handheld, if I can. Other than the Switch I also plan on purchasing the ROG Ally and play games on my phone as well as 3DS too. What devices do you use for your handheld gaming? Is anyone else preordering a ROG Ally too, or do you maybe have a Steam Deck? Do you use your phone for handheld mobile gaming too?

I used to be a bit more into handhelds than I currently am now, but I do still adore the GBA, DS, and 3DS lines for many reasons. I'm getting back into the habit of bringing my New 3DS XL along with me when I go out (StreetPass isn't dead yet!) — but if I'm playing a DS or GBA game at home, I almost always use my DS Lite since the screen resolution is much nicer. I do have a Switch but I've pretty much always preferred docked mode for it.

Never reeeally got into playing anything on my phone, at least not as much as others have. The only things I play actively right now are Pokémon GO, and occasionally checking in on Masters EX (and sometimes a few minutes of Bejeweled Classic or Bloons TD5 if I'm bored on the train. :p) Once LLSIF2 gets a global release, I'll probably play it on a tablet instead since that's how I played SIF1. Also really looking forward to Pokémon Sleep, though... does that even count as a game? lol

Steam Deck-type handhelds are also not my thing. I can see the appeal for sure, but for the same reason I prefer my Switch docked, I'd much rather just play my PC games from the comfort of my PC. ^^;

The ROG Ally intrigues me, but its supposed problems with Windows integration and its short battery life unfortunately don’t. (That, and the fact that I have zero chance of affording one right now, haha.) Still, as far as at least raw specs go, it looks like what the Steam Deck should’ve been, and it makes me salivate at how powerful the inevitable Switch successor will likely be (and kind of has to be; that along with the current Switch still being a money-printing machine is probably why we’re still waiting for one; Nintendo’s not stupid).

As for handhelds that I’ve owned, I’ve had a lot of them! And I’ve been “collecting” for quite a long time, haha. A little while ago, for instance, I came into possession into an original Game Boy. As in the one with only four colors and that (in)famous green dox-matrix screen, haha. My grandmother actually had one of her own back when it first came out, as well as a copy of Tetris. I ended up inheriting the latter, which I’ve had the pleasure of playing on my various other Game Boy family systems including this one. It’s pretty easy to see how the Game Boy became so popular with a game like that, even with its low-end specs; it’s so fun and addictive to play even to this day!

Besides that, the first game system that I ever owned actually happened to be a Game Boy Color in its iconic purple color. Pokémon Yellow was the first game that I played with it, and was by extension the first game that I ever owned (but not played, my parents’ Pentium MMX PC was my gaming home, of sorts, before then). I still have both, although I play neither much nowadays due to the GBC’s audio circuits not being the greatest after all of these years (lots of static that probably shouldn’t be there, haha) and Pokémon Yellow being perhaps my least favorite of the classic-era Pokémon games (on account of it being too damn hard for young me; I never finished it).

Other handhelds that I own, or owned, include an original Game Boy Advance (which I no longer have), and a Game Boy Advance SP (which I still do). Fun fact about the latter: I nearly lost it for good almost practically the day that I got it, when I left it unattended in a store at a mall that me and my parents visited (handhelds were a constant companion for me during such visits). A keen eye and perhaps a little bit of luck led to realize what happened just in time, but there was a real possibility that things could’ve ended up very differently that day and I’d be telling a much sadder story now, oof.

I also owned a DS, although I ended up barely playing it. Its main use ended up being my go-to for playing GBA games with its headphone jack (which Nintendo, in their courage, of course omitted on the GBA SP) and slightly superior screen. That said, when I got back into Pokémon around 2014 or so and picked up Pokémon White 2, I spent more time on there than I ever did, and it basically became the Pokémon machine then, haha. The New 3DS XL that I purchased for myself many years later would end up seeing much more love and use from me, and I would spend many more dozens of hours there playing Pokémon Sun especially.

I suppose that mentioning the Switch would be too easy here, haha. I got mine a little under five years ago, and I think that one of the most magical things I remember about it was seeing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and its super-sharp graphics on that screen, looking oh-so-beautiful, haha. Few other games would inspire such awe due to the Switch’s technical limitations that became all the more problematic as the years went on, but Nintendo’s games usually tended to be among the “awe-inspiring” number. Not too much Pokémon activity here, actually; I stalled in the middle of Shield and I passed on Scarlet & Violet for various reasons, although I’m slowly getting into Legends: Arceus and New Pokémon Snap, both of which have been some of the more promising-looking (graphically and gameplay-wise) Pokémon entires on the Switch so far.

As for mobile gaming, none of that for me, haha. I’ve just never seen the appeal of it; my mind is typically elsewhere when I’m on the go. That’s not to say that I’m completely averse to the idea of it, though. I just might have to find the right game…

The Switch is the only one I play right now. I'd play my 3DS as well, maybe, but its batteries are dead and I've misplaced the charge cable. The Switch really is ideal as a handheld system for me. It's just so comfortable, the 3DS was very cramped (note: I have only the original 3DS, so not any of the larger versions) and was kinda strenuous to play on, but it has a lot of great games, that's one thing for sure!

I'd love to get a SteamDeck, but it's very expensive. I get why it's expensive, but I just can't afford that in my life right now. Not when moving (to a more expensive state, too) is a priority.

Currently, I am most comfortable playing games at my desk on my PC, so it works out. The Switch is great, too, though.

Got a Switch Lite to play Switch games and a New 3DS XL to play all the DS and 3DS games i have.

I actually started only on home consoles with the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast (i know, i was on the losing team). But then bought a Gameboy Advance in 2004 and been primarly an handheld player since then, even if i did get a Gamecube and a Wii as well but i have nowhere near the amount of games in those two compared to the amount of handheld games i have.

I think the transition from home console to handheld happened because i kind of got tired of having to play only in front of my TV. Also having to hook up the console in the first place even if i only need it to do once, with an handheld i only need to turn it on with one button and play.

I primarily just play on the New 3DS XL. I also have a 2DS but with both screens cracked. I still use it to trade and create battles via the Vs. Recorder sometimes (yes I am still able to navigate through it without seeing anything). Aside from that, there are also some games on my phone.

I bought a Nintendo Switch on Legends Arceus release day just to play Legends Arceus. I eventually bought some other games for the Nintendo Switch as well but ended up selling the console with all those games entirely 2 months before Scarlet and Violet were released, as I realized I made a personal mistake by buying a Nintendo Switch for Pokemon games.

90% of my gaming consists of handhelds, starting from the GameBoy Color all the way to the Switch. I even own all of Nintendo's handheld consoles, and have owned them since they first came out, though I had to replace some of them because they were starting to die. I just recently got a Switch OLED today and am steadily redownloading my games and their associated downloadable content since my original Switch's right speaker blew out, and I'm not tech-savvy enough to fix it on my own. I generally prefer playing my games handheld because I tend to get restless when I sit in one place for too long, and it's convenient for when I need to get up and do something, or rest in certain positions like lying on my stomach.

Last edited:
In the past, I used to game handheld far more than I gamed on console, but that split has gone further and further down until it was about 50/50 a couple of years ago. Now that I have my own place, with my own little office space to put all my consoles, I find myself gaming on handhelds far less than I used to. I'd say the split is about 65/35 console/handheld.

The interesting thing though, is of that split, I would say it's about 35% 3DS, 25% regular DS, 25% Switch, and 15% GameBoy/GameBoy Advance. The reason is, despite the Switch and PS5 taking up about 75% of my gaming time, there's still a whole bunch in my backlog on those legacy systems!

When I'm on 3DS, I'm mostly going to be playing either Picross or JRPGs, with a few Nintendo first party titles here and there. I mostly play on my launch edition red New 3DS XL, with the paint on the top clamshell almost all the way chipped off lol. I love that thing. But, I also have a backup (hardware and software modded) red 3DS XL that I use occasionally as well. I have a couple other 3DS systems as well (an orange/white New 2DS XL I found cheap on Reddit, a Galaxy edition N3DSXL that I've lent to my girlfriend, a Majora's Mask Special edition N3DSXL that exists solely for collection purposes, and my launch edition 3DS phat that I use to lend out to friends every now and then), but I mostly play on my original console.

When I'm on DS, I'm mostly playing older Pokemon games or "hidden gem" first/third party games that are built for the dual-screen system. I typically use my bronze DSi XL, but occasionally I'll play on a red/black DS Lite if I'm travelling and am also playing a GBA game. I also still have my childhood silver DS Lite, but it's in pretty poor condition at this point.

When I'm on Switch, it's really a mix, though I do try to play most NSO or "games meant for handheld" in handheld rather than on the big screen. Most 2D games I think work better in handheld where the buttons feel snappier, whereas I try to do most if not all of my 3D gaming docked. I have a Switch OLED, so playing games with great pixelart or bright color palettes really make the games pop.

And, when I'm on GameBoy, it's either on the aforementioned DS Lite if I need the brighter screen, though I try to use an old Blue GBA SP I got a few years back whenever I can, just to get "the purist experience." I'm mostly using it to grind up Pokemon for my streams, so I don't really feel particular about the hardware I play on most of the time.

I kind of wish I originally got a 3DS XL instead of a 2DS XL but a 2DS XL is not at all bad. I mainly go to 3DS for exclusive games and the old virtual console ones.

Maybe this is just a bias but I think Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Happy Home Designer are still games on the 3DS worth picking up along with the Pokémon games.

On Nintendo Switch, I mainly just play handheld because I’m too lazy to mess around with the TV. (Even though it’s pretty simple)

I can’t really imagine not being able to take my game console anywhere and playing it anywhere. It’s the one of two “productive things” I can do anywhere and everywhere. (The other being reading a book though a book may not last you as long as a video game will without repeating anything.)

My first handheld game system, besides virtual pets, if those count....was actually a Tiger Electronics LCD handheld of Aladdin. I might've played others, but I believe that was the only one I owned. Basically, most of my handheld gaming has been through almost every iteration of Nintendo handheld systems.

My first Nintendo handheld system was a clear-purple Gameboy Color that I got in early 2000. After many years of use, it started to wear out, and being used to playing later Nintendo handheld systems with built-in lights made it hard to for me to play that system anymore - though I did get bright light accessory for it at one point. I think it basically just stopped working altogether, and so I tossed it for good.

A few years later in 2003, I also got an original Game Boy Advance system for several years before I lost it. I don't remember exactly what happened to it, but I think I did get rid of that, too, for some reason; likely because, like my older GBC, it started to not work as well as it did before. The battery cover on the bottom back of the handheld also broke and could no longer snap in place, either. I did get a GBA SP sometime before that happened and still have that system that I could use to play GBA and GBC games that I have

In 2007, I got a black Nintendo DS, and then later also bought a light blue Nintendo DSi. The touchscreen of the original DS must've gotten a bit damaged after a time, because it wasn't quite working accurately. Just a short time ago, I decided to take that in to a Retro Game Trader, since I was just using the DSi, anyway.

Then I got a Nintendo 3DS system that I still own and occasionally use today. Never did own a 2DS, though.

The Wii U could technically count, but I hardly ended up using that at all, let alone in handheld mode. Finally, there's my Nintendo Switch, even though I generally use it only in docked mode.

I guess I could also mention that I have used my phone for gaming, too, but not that much.

let’s see, (colors included and some minor details) GBA sp in red that I got for m birthday this year, Switch Lite in yellow probably my main console, a blue old 2ds I had for a long time, my beloved Wii U, and my phone which I use for some Pokémon games, a rhythm game and Honkai Starrail.

I have a 3DS, a New 3DS, and a Switch Lite, not that I'm one to play on any of them while on the go. Major trips warranted the 3DS, but I got burned once for bringing a DSi with me regularly so I don't do that. I can use my phone instead, which has more than a few games to fire up. (Sometimes I stow my New 3DS in my bag in vain hope of getting a Streetpass.)

• Switch (i don't really bring this anywhere but it is technically a handheld)
  • N3DS XL (that i don't really play anymore at all)

kind of a shame how much i've drifted from the both of these due to other interests taking over... i do want to get back into gaming on my switch once i have a properly working pro controller, though.

i use my DSI for all ds and gb/gbc/gba games, my 3DS of course for 3DS games, and then my switch... for switch games. those are basically the only handhelds i use. my DSI is the most common since it's easier for ... reasons ... to get games and play them on there, and the battery life is good. plus i just really like the games i can play on there. i use my switch the most after my DSI, and i rarely use my 3DS since there's not many games i want to play on it nowadays, and i've run out of storage to really play any new ones now. i don't really play any of them too often in general nowadays though due to having work to do for uni all the time.

usually i use my switch and 3ds
the switch has more of my favorite-favorite games where my 3ds is. definitely the more versatile one :)
i don't use my psp as often, but sometimes the mood hits to load it up!

Back
Top Bottom