• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hardest Pokemon to Build Around

TerraTF

Is Not A Moderator
Reaction score
We all have our fair share of battling and team building experience. So what is the hardest Pokemon for you to teambuild around. What Pokemon do you have trouble using no matter how good of a set it has.

For me it has to be Heliolisk. Great abilities, great movepool, terrible to use. My main usage for it has been in a non-weather Volt-Turn team, but it still lags behind compared to other Pokemon on my team.

I've been trying my best to use Hippowdon but for some reason I've always felt underwhelmed by him. I see a lot of discussion crediting him as a great defensive pokemon but he seems like a liability to me.

Megaskhan.

It's an amazing pain in the ass online, but whenever I use for Battle Maison it just sucks.

Maybe it's just a case of cheating AI.

MegaGar fit for singles, great Movesets, but bad defensively.

I'd say Scizor. No matter what, I just find it hard to use the big red Bug (probably because I didn't use it at all until recently.)

Golurk.

It's an interesting mon, with great looking design and unique typing, but I can't find a way to build a competitively viable team around it. For starters, Golurk's moveset is severely limited, with only a handful of useful moves in its arsenal. If you go Iron Fist for the ability, it isn't quite enough of a buff to the punch moves to boost the lower power of some of those punches. The no guard Dynamic Punch setup is probably the way to go, but even then the moveset is only one problem, and some mons can work with a limited moveset if they have the stats to back it up. The problem with Golurk is it doesn't have the stats. It's got the 124 base attack, and that's not too shabby at all, but that's all it has. Golurk has the sluggish base 55 speed we'd expect of bulky mons, but its defenses are only mediocre at best. Between 80 Defense, 80 Special Defense and 89 HP, Golurk can only barely take a few more hits than many of the 'fragile' sweepers, and is completely outclassed by so many better options.

I've made a number of attempts to get Avalugg to pull some work, but all of them have been pretty unsuccessful. In theory it has everything it needs, it's got bulk, recovery and it even hits back pretty hard. But it just doesn't contribute much in practice, and I have to dedicate several team slots to covering for its shortcomings, since to my knowledge it doesn't form a noteworthy core with any other Pokemon in particular. Accommodating it is just more trouble than it's worth.

I've made a number of attempts to get Avalugg to pull some work, but all of them have been pretty unsuccessful. In theory it has everything it needs, it's got bulk, recovery and it even hits back pretty hard. But it just doesn't contribute much in practice, and I have to dedicate several team slots to covering for its shortcomings, since to my knowledge it doesn't form a noteworthy core with any other Pokemon in particular. Accommodating it is just more trouble than it's worth.

I had a lot of success with Avalugg on this full-stall team, he forms a great hazard-removal core with Tentacruel. If you want to try him, feel free to c/p this team, play it a bit, and make any modifications you feel like :)
The Blob (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Theodosius (Aggron) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Titanic (Avalugg) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Tinkerbell (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish

Juggernaut (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

Naughty (Tentacruel) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 SDef / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Giga Drain

I've used an Avalugg in-game before and it was alright. Didn't really do much. Just looking at its stats I'd probably switch it with Skarmary just for the larger attacking power.

As much as I prefer Skarmory as my physical defensive 'mon, Avalugg just recently worked for me as well in conjunction with Jellicent. The spinblocker resists the spinners' weaknesses pretty well. Sturdy + Mirror Coat and a strong STAB in Avalanche also works well seeing as how everyone picks on his nasty SpDef while Skarmory can only use Brave Bird most of the time.

I actually had a lot of fun building a team around Heliolisk (well Heliolisk and Ludicolo, you can guess what kind of team it was). The hardest for me tend to be Eeveelutions (save for Sylveon and Espeon which I can always fit in my team one way or another) because I love them and want to have them on my teams as much as possible but my two favorites are hard to work with: Leafeon because he's a Baton Passer but he has to be under the sun to work best and his typing isn't the best defensively and Glaceon because of its typing and movepool when lacking move tutors, but he's still a Choice Specs wallbreaker so he can find a spot on a team that wants an Ice-type STAB.

I had a lot of success with Avalugg on this full-stall team, he forms a great hazard-removal core with Tentacruel. If you want to try him, feel free to c/p this team, play it a bit, and make any modifications you feel like :)
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Relaxed Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Impish Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish

Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

Modest Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Giga Drain

Oh, thank you! I'll have to give this a try.

A good majority of my favorites are bulky and have decent to great attacking stats, such as Larpas, Tyrantrum, and Pangoro. The problem is they are so slow. Lapras works wonders as a staller but is pretty much only useful in singles. Tyrantrum is a beast with high attack power but the fact its so slow makes it hard to use. Doesn't help that all of its counters can kill it with one hit thanks to its pathetic special defense. Pangoro is great because of his typing, but like Tyrantrum, he is slow and his decent HP can hardly make up for his crappy defenses. He also fears Fairy types like that plague. I have a hard time figuring out what to do with slow Pokemon even though I would love to use them. There's Trick Room, but a single Taunt can ruin whatever strategy you have. These are the guys that I have a lot of difficulty in using, and they are not bad Pokemon at all, I just have a hard time using them.

I also have a really hard time using Charizard X. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have him as a special attacker because I am limiting his ability. Guess I should trade that in for a Charizardite Y stone to bring out his highest potential.

Last edited:
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Relaxed Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Impish Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Avalanche
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish

Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

Modest Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Giga Drain

Oh, thank you! I'll have to give this a try.

Np mate :)

A good majority of my favorites are bulky and have decent to great attacking stats, such as Larpas, Tyrantrum, and Pangoro. The problem is they are so slow. Lapras works wonders as a staller but is pretty much only useful in singles. Tyrantrum is a beast with high attack power but the fact its so slow makes it hard to use. Doesn't help that all of its counters can kill it with one hit thanks to its pathetic special defense. Pangoro is great because of his typing, but like Tyrantrum, he is slow and his decent HP can hardly make up for his crappy defenses. He also fears Fairy types like that plague. I have a hard time figuring out what to do with slow Pokemon even though I would love to use them. There's Trick Room, but a single Taunt can ruin whatever strategy you have. These are the guys that I have a lot of difficulty in using, and they are not bad Pokemon at all, I just have a hard time using them.

I also have a really hard time using Charizard X. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have him as a special attacker because I am limiting his ability. Guess I should trade that in for a Charizardite Y stone to bring out his highest potential.

Lapras I can;t speak for, but I can give some ideas for Tyrantrum and Pangoro. Tyrantrum is hindered by his low Sp Def and Speed, so try these sets:

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Strong Jaws
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
~Dragon Dance/Rock Polish
~Earthquake/Stone Edge
~Dragon Claw/Stone Edge
~Fire Fang/Ice Fang/Hone Claws

This Tyrantrum boosts its Speed and can even afford a moveslot for a double-dance since it gets decent 2 move coverage with EdgeQuake. It enjoys Sticky Web or Paralysis support and requires hazard removal to preserve its Focus Sash.

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail
~Stone Edge/Ice Fang/Fire Fang
~Earthquake/Ice Fang/Fire Fang

This Tyrantrum abuses Strong Jaw Poison Fang (which has a staggering 50% chance to inflict Toxic this gen) and Dragon Tail to spread status and rack up hazard damage. It bolsters its lower Sp Def with full investment and the Assault Vest. It enjoys Sand and Wish support.

Pangoro has access to Parting Shot, a signature pivot move. To make good use of it while dealing with his low Speed, try a Scarf set:

Pangoro @ Choice Scarf
Mold Breaker/Iron Fist
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
~Parting Shot
~Sky Uppercut
~Crunch
~Taunt/Stone Edge/Poison Jab

Parting shot is a fantastic move for both scouting and bringing in frail sweepers. Sky Uppercut is your main STAB and is boosted by Iron Fist, which is chosen over Scrappy because Crunch hits all Ghosts besides Sableye and Spiritomb, neither of which are too common. If you don't feel the need for the Iron fist boost, use Mold Breaker and you can utterly shut down most Baton Pass teams (which have become increasingly common and annoying) with a Taunt that bypasses Magic Bounce. Otherwise go for coverage against Fliers (Stone Edge) or Fairies (Poison Jab), although you should switch out of those unless they are weakened or you manage to predict the switch - you're only 2HKOing common Fairies with Poison Jab and Stone Edge is inaccurate.

As for MCharX - indeed, if you're using him as a special attacker you're doing it wrong. He is arguably the best Dragon Dancer in the game and also pulls off a scary-effective tank set with ease.

@snowlioness87;
Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail

This Tyrantrum abuses Strong Jaw Poison Fang (which has a staggering 50% chance to inflict Toxic this gen) and Dragon Tail to spread status and rack up hazard damage. It bolsters its lower Sp Def with full investment and the Assault Vest. It enjoys Sand and Wish support.
This set is the better of the two. The other set is a worse version of better dragons. You definitely want to take advantage of his great ability.

@snowlioness87;
Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail

This set is the better of the two. The other set is a worse version of better dragons. You definitely want to take advantage of his great ability.

Thanks mate, that's actually my custom set while the other is the standard. I designed it for RU but thought I'd throw it out there of anyone wanted to try it in higher tiers.

@snowlioness87;
Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail

Thanks mate, that's actually my custom set while the other is the standard. I designed it for RU but thought I'd throw it out there of anyone wanted to try it in higher tiers.

I agree. Great staying potential. I'd pair it with a bulky Wish user along the line of Vaporeon or Sylveon. I'd probably run Earthquake and Fire Fang in the final two slots. Gives Tyrantrum the chance to deal with both Ferrothorn and Air Balloon Excadrill. I'm sure that Tyrantrum would love a partner who could throw up Rocks early on.

@snowlioness87;
Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail

I agree. Great staying potential. I'd pair it with a bulky Wish user along the line of Vaporeon or Sylveon. I'd probably run Earthquake and Fire Fang in the final two slots. Gives Tyrantrum the chance to deal with both Ferrothorn and Air Balloon Excadrill. I'm sure that Tyrantrum would love a partner who could throw up Rocks early on.
Not super confident on Dragon Tail though. I'd rather use Crunch there.

@snowlioness87;
Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail

Dragon Tail is the other staple of the set along with Poison Fang. The point is toxic-shuffling.

@snowlioness87;
Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail

Dragon Tail is the other staple of the set along with Poison Fang. The point is toxic-shuffling.
Does he have the staying power to utilize the set well? Based off of your experiences? Moving back to the topic, what team do you use him in?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom