• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hardest Pokemon to Build Around

Speaking of Tyrantrum, do you guys think Tyrantrum will be better once its HA is released? STAB Head Smash with no recoil sounds awesome to me.

@snowlioness87;
Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Strong Jaws
Careful
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp Def
~Poison Fang
~Dragon Tail
~Stone Edge/Ice Fang/Fire Fang
~Earthquake/Ice Fang/Fire Fang

This Tyrantrum abuses Strong Jaw Poison Fang (which has a staggering 50% chance to inflict Toxic this gen) and Dragon Tail to spread status and rack up hazard damage. It bolsters its lower Sp Def with full investment and the Assault Vest. It enjoys Sand and Wish support.
This set is the better of the two. The other set is a worse version of better dragons. You definitely want to take advantage of his great ability.

Thanks mate, that's actually my custom set while the other is the standard. I designed it for RU but thought I'd throw it out there of anyone wanted to try it in higher tiers.

I agree. Great staying potential. I'd pair it with a bulky Wish user along the line of Vaporeon or Sylveon. I'd probably run Earthquake and Fire Fang in the final two slots. Gives Tyrantrum the chance to deal with both Ferrothorn and Air Balloon Excadrill. I'm sure that Tyrantrum would love a partner who could throw up Rocks early on.
Not super confident on Dragon Tail though. I'd rather use Crunch there.

Dragon Tail is the other staple of the set along with Poison Fang. The point is toxic-shuffling.
Does he have the staying power to utilize the set well? Based off of your experiences? Moving back to the topic, what team do you use him in?

He does in RU, that's the only place I've playtested him.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Poison Fang
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Flamethrower

Golurk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off
- Recover

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

@Norzan Undoubtedly

Does he have the staying power to utilize the set well? Based off of your experiences? Moving back to the topic, what team do you use him in?

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Poison Fang
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Naughty Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Flamethrower

Golurk @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off
- Recover

Steelix @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

@Norzan Undoubtedly

Standard phazing. The only Pokemon that steer from the rest are Slurpuff and Golurk, but I'm sure they were on cleaning duty.

Another Pokemon I've had a hard time integrating into my team has been Salamence. I was running a mixed set early on in my BBL run and it wasn't really doing much help for me so I ditched it.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Poison Fang
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Naughty Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Flamethrower

Golurk @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off
- Recover

Steelix @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

@Norzan Undoubtedly

Standard phazing. The only Pokemon that steer from the rest are Slurpuff and Golurk, but I'm sure they were on cleaning duty.

Another Pokemon I've had a hard time integrating into my team has been Salamence. I was running a mixed set early on in my BBL run and it wasn't really doing much help for me so I ditched it.

Golurk actually spinblocks and alleviates the Fight weakness shared by Cryogonal, Steelix, and Tyrantrum. Slurpuff also alleviates the Fight weakness and cleans like you mentioned.

I desperately want to find a way to use Magician Delphox, but can't ever seem to find or think of one.

I desperately want to find a way to use Magician Delphox, but can't ever seem to find or think of one.
I've been using Power Herb+Solar Beam on mine...it's gimmicky so it's hard to recommend but it's a good surprise against Water switches. Focus Sash is a possible option if you can play around priority. Pinch berries or Weakness Policy might work but you'd have to be careful as Delphox is prone to getting OHKO'd.

Blaziken. I tried to use it but it is too frail and too powerful which results in it killing itself with Flare Blitz or atleast do too much damage to itself.

Gengar was hard too. Those pokes everyone uses in a good way is the ones I suck with :lol:

I've heard of people having a lot of fun with Contrary Malamar but I just can't seem to get it to work. I wanna know if anybody here ever had any success with him.

I've heard of people having a lot of fun with Contrary Malamar but I just can't seem to get it to work. I wanna know if anybody here ever had any success with him.

He was on my Dark Gym team until I finished breeding my Mandibuzz - I never looked back. He was thoroughly mediocre.

I heard the Banded Superpower set is ok. Otherwise its a pretty bad Pokemon. Not too good of stats. Probably a decent Intimidate sponge.

I heard the Banded Superpower set is ok. Otherwise its a pretty bad Pokemon. Not too good of stats. Probably a decent Intimidate sponge.

Band and Scarf unfortuantely stink due to ghost being immune to Superpower and Malamar's cruddy unboosted SDef. Assault Vest is typically the way to go, as it gives you freedom to switch to Night Slash when necessary.

Band and Scarf unfortuantely stink due to ghost being immune to Superpower and Malamar's cruddy unboosted SDef. Assault Vest is typically the way to go, as it gives you freedom to switch to Night Slash when necessary.

I'm sure it would be semi-decent after a Speed Buff pass.

Glory Blaze, I just wanted to thank you for your positive activity in these battle pages. You are always helpful and respond 24/7. So, really thank you for all your time and support. And if I knew how to link your name/profile etc, I would.

I'm sure it would be semi-decent after a Speed Buff pass.

Yeah he was also pretty good when Sticky Web was trendy. If something good gets SW in like Gen VII or by a move tutor in Z/X^2/Y^2/whatever, Malamar might jump a few tiers - he can boost his Speed by coming in on it and he can boost his Evasion if he gets a Defog, reducing foe's moves to Stone Miss-like accuracy levels.

Glory Blaze, I just wanted to thank you for your positive activity in these battle pages. You are always helpful and respond 24/7. So, really thank you for all your time and support. And if I knew how to link your name/profile etc, I would.

Thanks mate, it's my pleasure. I felt like it would help out the BBL's activity if one of it's founding members was seen as active and helpful, and now that I'm staff it's a responsibility - one that I'm happy to carry out. :)

If you want to know how to mention, what you do is wrap their user number in MENTION tags, like so: @-Glory Blaze- should you change the braces to brackets. It then links to my page and gives me a notification..######/">username[ /MENTION]. To mention me, you would do: {MENTION=48846}-Glory Blaze-{/MENTION}, which would look like this: @-Glory Blaze- should you change the braces to brackets. It then links to my page and gives me a notification.

Last edited:

Thanks mate, it's my pleasure. I felt like it would help out the BBL's activity if one of it's founding members was seen as active and helpful, and now that I'm staff it's a responsibility - one that I'm happy to carry out. :)

If you want to know how to mention, what you do is wrap their user number in MENTION tags, like so: @-Glory Blaze- should you change the braces to brackets. It then links to my page and gives me a notification..######/">username[ /MENTION]. To mention me, you would do: {MENTION=48846}-Glory Blaze-{/MENTION}, which would look like this: @-Glory Blaze- should you change the braces to brackets. It then links to my page and gives me a notification.
@

One of the main reason's I opened this thread up was so other could offer suggestions for a Pokemon players find tough to use. Glad to see someone is taking advantage.

@

One of the main reason's I opened this thread up was so other could offer suggestions for a Pokemon players find tough to use. Glad to see someone is taking advantage.
@.######/">

The same to you Terra! You are just as equally helpful :)

He was on my Dark Gym team until I finished breeding my Mandibuzz - I never looked back. He was thoroughly mediocre.

OK So guyz I've been playing him on PS! past couple hours and it seems like so far he's somewhat usable in RU, I say not great, but I've gotten much better hang on him now than before. The set I've been using is:

Malamar@Assault Vest
Contrary
Adamant
252HP / 252Atk /4Spdef
Superpower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Hypnosis

I've won some RU matches with him on my team, but tbh I've found he needs wayyy too much support for him to work right. Those stats are a real letdown too. Earlier I was considering using Trick Room on him, but he's not quite slow for that either. O well. I guess I'll keep using him until I get bored of him. Thanks guyz!

OK So guyz I've been playing him on PS! past couple hours and it seems like so far he's somewhat usable in RU, I say not great, but I've gotten much better hang on him now than before. The set I've been using is:

Malamar@Assault Vest
Contrary
Adamant
252HP / 252Atk /4Spdef
Superpower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Hypnosis

I've won some RU matches with him on my team, but tbh I've found he needs wayyy too much support for him to work right. Those stats are a real letdown too. Earlier I was considering using Trick Room on him, but he's not quite slow for that either. O well. I guess I'll keep using him until I get bored of him. Thanks guyz!

Er, why are you using Hypnosis when you have the Assult vest, which prevents non-attacking moves?

Malamar@Assault Vest
Contrary
Adamant
252HP / 252Atk /4Spdef
Superpower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Hypnosis

Er, why are you using Hypnosis when you have the Assult vest, which prevents non-attacking moves?

O damn, now I look like a fool lulz. I've been using both lefties and av on him and Hypnosis is for when I'm using lefties. When going AV I used Aerial ace/Rock slide instead

Also, would choice scarf be a viable option?

Malamar@Assault Vest
Contrary
Adamant
252HP / 252Atk /4Spdef
Superpower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Hypnosis

O damn, now I look like a fool lulz. I've been using both lefties and av on him and Hypnosis is for when I'm using lefties. When going AV I used Aerial ace/Rock slide instead.

I'd go either Payback to take advantage of Malamar's low speed or Rock Slide as you said just for coverage. Better hope some of the lower tier Fairies don't wall the shit out of Malamar. Regular Mawile will be tough to deal with.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom