• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Harry Potter - Veron and Hagrid

Was Veron right to accuse Hagrid of breaking and entering?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Early last month (which was admittedly like only two days ago), I watched the first Harry Potter film. In his first appearance, Hagrid arrives to take Harry to Diagon Alley, so he can begin his time at Hogwarts. In the scene, he knocks on the door, accidentally knocking it off the hinges. He apologizes and puts the door back up. Veron accuses Hagrid of breaking and entering.

My question is this: Was Veron right to call Hagrid out for breaking and entering, even though he came through the door?

"Breaking and entering is defined as the entering of a building through force without authorization. The slightest force including pushing open a door is all that is necessary."
Cornell Law School website

So yeah it absolutely counts.

"Breaking and entering is defined as the entering of a building through force without authorization. The slightest force including pushing open a door is all that is necessary."
Cornell Law School website

So yeah it absolutely counts.
He didn't threaten anyone or do anything malicious while he was there, though (at least until Vernon insulted Dumbledore, at which point he gave Dudley that pig tail).

He didn't threaten anyone or do anything malicious while he was there, though (at least until Vernon insulted Dumbledore, at which point he gave Dudley that pig tail).
It doesn’t matter what Hagrid’s intentions were, he did commit an illegal act. Not that the Wizard community seems to give a damn about Muggle laws though.

Breaking and entering as a legal term on its own does not involve what happens next. He did break and enter.

It doesn’t matter what Hagrid’s intentions were, he did commit an illegal act. Not that the Wizard community seems to give a damn about Muggle laws though.

Breaking and entering as a legal term on its own does not involve what happens next. He did break and enter.
But the door fell on its own, not flung across the room. Yeah, it was because of Hagrid knocking on it with his (semi?) Super-Human strength (He is a Half-Giant if I recall correctly), but still. Sure, it was literally 11:00 PM when he showed up.

You both give fair points though.

"The slightest force including pushing open a door is all that is necessary."

I rest my case.

... Why does this thread feel like a courtroom now?

"The slightest force including pushing open a door is all that is necessary."

I rest my case.

... Why does this thread feel like a courtroom now?
Uh...no idea at this point. I really should just accept it at this point. Like, the evidence is there: Both you and @Emmy have stated that he committed a crime, even though he had good intentions (at least until Vernon insulted Dumbledore). Also, it was 11:00 at night when he showed up. Now if he showed up in the morning at like noon, then it would not be a problem, right.

Uh...no idea at this point. I really should just accept it at this point. Like, the evidence is there: Both you and @Emmy have stated that he committed a crime, even though he had good intentions (at least until Vernon insulted Dumbledore). Also, it was 11:00 at night when he showed up. Now if he showed up in the morning at like noon, then it would not be a problem, right.
Well it is not that major of a crime. I also do not think time really matters for it either.

Like, the main reason this exists is to prevent authorities barging in homes without a proper warrant. Else it is not that different from trespassing.

Well it is not that major of a crime. I also do not think time really matters for it either.

Like, the main reason this exists is to prevent authorities barging in homes without a proper warrant. Else it is not that different from trespassing.
Would it have made a difference if he should up at like noon? Sure, Vernon would have been suspicious of him. I have a feeling things would have still gone the same even if he did show up at noon.

Would it have made a difference if he should up at like noon? Sure, Vernon would have been suspicious of him. I have a feeling things would have still gone the same even if he did show up at noon.
In terms of the law, it absolutely wouldn't.

Wizards dont care about Muggle laws lol. He also gave Dudley a pig's tail which is also probably illegal not that Hagrid cares. So yeah ,Hagrid broke the law definately,but I mean,Harry needed to know he was accepted at Hogwarts and if he didnt do it than Dumbledore himself likely mightve eventually showed up,but probably only if Hagrid failed to deliver the letter.

@Zexy
Here's a thought I just had about this: Let's say everyone is just hanging out on the front lawn when Hagrid shows up. Would he still be trespassing then?
Disclaimer: I am not a laywer.

But I think trespassing is the crime of entering another's property uninvited/unwelcomed, even if you do not steal/break anything, regardless of where the owner is.
So whether they are inside the home, or on the lawn, or out at work/shopping/leisure acitivies, it should not matter all?

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom