• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Has collecting them all become difficult yet?

Cyborger

Reaction score
The last time I tried collecting them all was back in the Gold/Silver days and I haven't tried sense. I imagine it must be a tad difficult catching, training, trading, evolving etc. in order to get a full Pokedex.

Have you been successful so far with keeping up with new Pokemon? Have you given up? Did you ever try in the first place?

It was always difficult for me until gen V.
My boyfriend has the other game so I can get all the exclusives from him

Its always been a little difficult depending on your situation. Personally I always by every version anyways, so version exclusives never mattered for me. I just needed another gameboy from a friend. However, as of Gen 3 with the NUMEROUS event only pokemon thats when it became difficult and nigh impossible for a lot of people to complete the dex. As of Gen 5 i've stopped trying.

Its difficult, but it could be worse. Thank goodness its not. Especially when you have nice people on here to trade with and make it easier. The first time I ever completed a Pokedex was in Pearl, but since I had no one to trade with, most of it was using an AR. But now on White, I'm trying my best to complete the whole Pokedex legitimately as possible.

Eh, not so difficult really. More like time consuming. I completed the dex twice in Gen IV and doing good progress in Black too.

Difficult? No. Time consuming? Yes.

Back before we had wifi trading, it was difficult. Now, it's just a matter of do you have wifi and the time?

I think Gen IV made it easier than it was in Gen III, despite the Pokedex expanding. Being able to trade online has made a huge difference, plus by the time HG/SS came out, it was as though GF just said "sod it," and made it easy to catch Pokemon from the GBA games, such as the starters and legendaries.

I can imagine it being extremely difficult in Gen III (never tried it, just played the main story) - the Johto starters were only available on completion of the Hoenn dex, for example, and then you only get to pick one - so you'd have to play the game through multiple times or know at least two other people that happened to pick different ones (and play it as extensively as you). That, and only one of the legendary dogs was available in FR/LF, depending on the starter you chose. Ho-Oh and Lugia were event only.

Generation I was awkward, too, given that you couldn't breed and effectively replicate evolution lines to trade over.

But yeah, Gen IV is just a bit fiddly and time consuming, but it's perfectly doable. Did help that I had multiple versions and my boyfriend's DS to hand, though - plus you can use the GBA cartridges to import Pokemon over directly. I don't have all the event Pokemon, but it doesn't matter - the game says I did it and gave me my 4th trainer star!

It wasn't difficult for me. D: My sisters and I share 3 DS, and we have all three Shinnoh games. With the assistance of migration and AR, I was able to complete the Pokedex easy in Platinum.

With a living Pokedex in Platinum, you can see that it was child's play to get 649 seen & caught in White once I had access to PokeTransfer. D8 It is sure time-consuming, but with Gen IV and V bringing Wi-Fi trading, it is no longer difficult!

I collected all kanto pokemon and then I thought I collected them all. Until, that is, Jhoto and Hoenn jumped in. I manged to get them all. when Sinnoh arrived, and now Unova, I'm like, forget it. So, it was difficult at a point where new pokemon get released.

Not really "difficult", but it take some time to evolve certain Pokémon. And if you got Wi-Fi, it's kinda easy. I've a friend that I trade trade-evolved Pokémon and Pokémon that I had, but she didn't etc. - so it went quite easy.

I'm not planning to do it in Gen V though, since I got them all in Platinum. I'm just getting all of the Unova Pokémon I guess. ^.-

It's hard for me, since I only own SS and nothing else, so some of the legendaries and others are hard to get. But it's not impossible. :D

I never completed any Pokédex, altough I almost completed the Johto one in SoulSilver. Now I'll try to complete the Unova Pokédex, since 3 of my friends has a Generation V game. That should be easy. Maybe I'll try the national one after, but that would be very long.

No, if anything it's gotten easier now that there is wifi and the GTS. The only ones difficult to get are the event only pokemon, and even then you just need to make a good friend that will lend them to you.

I never actually tried as I always used to reset my games once I get bored with them. At this point, I doubt I'll be able to catch them all now.

the Johto starters were only available on completion of the Hoenn dex, for example, and then you only get to pick one - -
That, and only one of the legendary dogs was available in FR/LF, depending on the starter you chose. Ho-Oh and Lugia were event only.

I guess you never played the GameCube main series games Colosseum and XD? Col has second stages of Johto starter lines, the cats trio, and Ho-Oh as a prize for a side task. XD's plot revolves around a Lugia.

Last edited:
I think collecting them all becomes difficult, but I am saying this because we have the Event Pokemon that you cannot normally collect, and require special means to collect. Worst of all is that they are Legendaries, so if there is no way to legally clone the Pokemon, it's going to be hard to get them. While the downloadable service is handy at doing this, I will have to point out that it's not everyday that you encounter this. Besides, from where I live, I doubt I could easily get the Event Pokemon.

Thanks for reading.

I suppose it would be difficult, with so many species, if you have to rely on Wi-Fi and other forms of trading for those Pokemon that can't be found in the wild in your own game.

Fortunately, I went through a lot of effort to complete my Pokedexes on all three Gen III games I owned; and breeding from those helped me complete my Gen IV Pokedexes without having to do a lot of trading over Wi-Fi. Similarly, with collected Gen III/IV games to breed from, the only Pokemon I'll need to worry about with Gen V are those few new Pokemon that are exclusive to Black. I'll probably Pokeshift the vast majority of other species, and then just gradually level them up 'til they're all fully evolved.

I dont find it that hard but it takes a very,very,very long time to catch 'em all now.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom