• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Has joy-con drift affected your experience of SwSh and LGPE at all?

Reaction score
I bought a second-hand Switch last year and was having a blast with SwSh and LGPE, until a few months ago when my left joy-con started drifting. It's been gradually getting worse, to the point where it's now sometimes difficult to navigate menus and select the right move during battles. The direction of the drifting is always upwards, so when I fly to a new location my character often walks straight into the Pokemon Centre.

I've tried updating the joy-con, recalibrating it and cleaning away the dust around the control stick, but it doesn't seem to have made a lot of difference. An article I found suggested doing a more thorough clean using compressed air, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Hopefully I'll find a solution before The Crown Tundra comes out (I might be able to get it repaired by Nintendo if no proof of purchase is required), but in the meantime I've been going back to playing the older generations on my DS and 3DS instead.

I don't think I actually know what joy-con drift is so I guess it hasn't

Fortunately no. I know older Switch systems seem to suffer from this quite a bit. I bought mine sometime in 2019 so I suppose mine was manufactured late enough for that to be fixed (or I just got lucky haha). My partner gets it from time to time and I know some people who get it so bad they can't play =(

The Joycon drift is absolutely an awful problem and unforgiveable for a company such as Nintendo.

That said: I've had a (brand new) Switch with Sword since December, and never experienced any problems with drift whatsoever for 6 to 7 months. It wasn't until I bought Super Mario Odyssey last month and played that extensively, when my left Joycon started drifting upwards like crazy. This naturally also had an effect on Sword, where my character started walking upwards on its own. This was rather inconvenient and annoying but didn't really affect my enjoyment of the game much, not like it did with Odyssey anyway.

As for solutions, there's this stuff called WD40 that comes in spray canisters and is useful especially for electrical appliances and gaming systems. I bought that and used it on my left Joycon and while it didn't appear to work at first, I didn't experience drift anymore after a couple of days. I'd look into WD40 or similar products.

I don't think I actually know what joy-con drift is so I guess it hasn't
Same here.

Basically:

Joy-Con drift is an issue that Switch owners have been encountering over the last few months that causes the analog sticks on the controllers to randomly move around and input commands to the console, even when they’re not being physically moved.

So your character could, for example, be stuck moving continuously in a certain direction even if you're not actually making them move yourself. Really tedious problem for some people, and I notice those who got their Switch around release especially seem to suffer from it a lot.

Basically:
So your character could, for example, be stuck moving continuously in a certain direction even if you're not actually making them move yourself. Really tedious problem for some people, and I notice those who got their Switch around release especially seem to suffer from it a lot.
Oh okay. I think I experienced something similar on my Gamecube controller back in the day. But as for the Switch I've never had a problem with it.

joy-con drift has actually terrified me of ever using my joy-cons much. i usually play with a pro controller for most of my games so i try to avoid using my joy-cons if possible. :c

as a direct answer to the question: no, it hasn't (yet) because i don't play the games with joycons often.

I see. Well then, similar to your theory, maybe I haven't had the problem because I got my Switch in late 2018? Maybe it was "resolved" on a production level by then. Plus I've bought a new set of Joy-Cons since then (just to have a different look).

I thoroughly recommend looking at the Hori Split Pad as a replacement for handheld. I got a set a few months ago and haven’t gone back to the joy cons since. They don’t have amiibo support or gyros which is a little annoying but they do have additional buttons on the rear that you can map buttons onto (very useful for running in Animal Crossing) and a turbo which I found useful for stuff like digging bros/pa and cram O-Matic to save on repeated button bashing.

I would miss the gyros on games like Breath of the Wild or Let’s Go where they make aiming easier, so I’m hoping to get a good deal on a replacement set of newer joy cons (which are supposedly less likely to drift) before any games that I might want gyros on again releases (Metroid or Star Fox seem the most likely games to make me want them back)

At the moment, no, as I've only had my Switch for roughly a year, with my Switch Lite being a bit younger. However, I have noticed that the A Button on the main Switch has been wearing out a bit, as it's not as quick on the response as it used to be. Though, because of that, I got a Pro controller (feels a bit more natural to me), though the buttons are still a bit stiff. However, I'm aware of how the drift issue has been cropping up a lot lately. While I, myself, have yet to experience any drift, I know that it will happen eventually, as, sadly, the Switch wasn't built as well as past Nintendo consoles like the Gamecube. And, considering how expensive Joy-cons are on their own, I'm not looking forward to having to replace them.

However, a while back, I did hear that Nintendo is allowing people to get free replacement Joy-cons via customer support due to the fact that the threat of a lawsuit gave them a swift kick in the can, though I don't know if that's still available or not due to the pandemic complicating things (especially since I heard about this around March/April, so I might not be remembering all the details completely right). If they are still offering that, at least that might mitigate some issues, especially since you only really need to pay for shipping if memory serves. Again, I might not be remembering the report well enough and the pandemic has thrown a massive monkey wrench in the works so who knows if that's still available. But, either way, I haven't experienced any drift as of yet, but I know it might rear its head sooner or later. We shall see.

However, a while back, I did hear that Nintendo is allowing people to get free replacement Joy-cons via customer support due to the fact that the threat of a lawsuit gave them a swift kick in the can, though I don't know if that's still available or not due to the pandemic complicating things (especially since I heard about this around March/April, so I might not be remembering all the details completely right). If they are still offering that, at least that might mitigate some issues, especially since you only really need to pay for shipping if memory serves. Again, I might not be remembering the report well enough and the pandemic has thrown a massive monkey wrench in the works so who knows if that's still available. But, either way, I haven't experienced any drift as of yet, but I know it might rear its head sooner or later. We shall see.

I haven't heard anything about replacements, but they ARE repairing them for free (at least in some regions, like the US, as far as I know). However, I did hear that all of their repair services had been closed because of the pandemic, but they might be open now (don't quote me on that, someone will need to check).

As for me, I did have some light drift issues with my Joy Cons, but I've been using a third-party pro controller for a while (I did have to get a replacement one a few months ago, ironically due to left stick drift causing problems in Splatoon 2), and that's been working great for me.

Ugh, drift. Yeah, I got it and had to get a new pair of Joy-Cons. Like, the drift was so bad, I had to fight it to try and fly anywhere on the map. I also had to fight it choosing Balls during Raid Battles; at least three times I ended up tossing a Ball I had no intention of using and blowing the catch. My character would start moving on her own when I wasn't touching the controller. Seriously, mine was bad.

I'm being very careful with my new pair. I don't want to deal with this again.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom