• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Has Mienshao been down to NU?

Kool-aid man

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
With threats like fairys and gale wings talonflame looming, i was just wondering was our kung fu weasel knocked down from boarderline OU to Neverused tier?

I'm pretty he's not going to go down that far if you will ask me.
since he can u-turn with high speed

There is no such thing as NU. As of right now, the only 6th Gen tiers are OU and Ubers.

No. For starters, Mienshao is not OU, so OU threats like Talonflame are of no relevance to its viablity and usage. Second, UU and below don't exist (they will probably go with the same tiers as Gen V, but even that isn't certain), so whether or not Mienshao drops further is contingent on how much it is used in a metagame that doesn't exist yet.

Look! i just want to know if i go on wifi with my adment nature 252 attack 252 speed Mienshao is it likely to be knocked out alot?

Look! i just want to know if i go on wifi with my adment nature 252 attack 252 speed Mienshao is it likely to be knocked out alot?

There's no harm in trying it. The current format is for experimenting. To be honest I haven't seen as many Fairies as you'd think there would be.

i see it being mid- or top-tier uu but it's definitely not going to be ou or nu this generation imo

gale wings talon is either #1 or #2 in usage right now though so just be wary of that

I don't think you can judge every Pokemon's effectiveness based on how well it deals with Talonflame. In a one-on-one matchoff, a Golem could easily defeat a Talonflame, but that doesn't mean it's best suited for OU. And Blaziken, which is an Uber and will probably remain so, gets crushed by it. So as Glory Blaze said, try it, and if you run across Talonflame, have something to switch into.

well, yeah, you're right about that, enzap – it'd be silly to judge a pokemon's performance based on how well it deals with talonflame, even though it's close to the top in usage. reuniclus could do very little to deal with scizor short of tr hp fire last gen, but that didn't mean that it was an awful pokemon. tbh, what i'd be more worried about would be the new ghosts introduced this generation: mienshao can't really do anything to gourgeist or trevenant and it's absolute set-up bait for aegislash. it does serve a pretty solid function in fast u-turn + very strong stab + luring in gliscor with hp ice and generally breaking down the most important physically defensive pokemon in this meta, but idk if i would use it after pokebank is released since there will be better things to use in a week or so. i think you have to be very adroit in using mienshao in order to get the most out of it but it's not by any means a bad pokemon in ou or anything

(edit: granted, from what i can gather, mix shadow ball is the most common set on aegis now, but it still gives it a pretty easy opportunity to switch in. yea, ""predict and u-turn,"" i guess, but idk)

Last edited:
well, yeah, you're right about that, enzap – it'd be silly to judge a pokemon's performance based on how well it deals with talonflame, even though it's close to the top in usage. reuniclus could do very little to deal with scizor short of tr hp fire last gen, but that didn't mean that it was an awful pokemon. tbh, what i'd be more worried about would be the new ghosts introduced this generation: mienshao can't really do anything to gourgeist or trevenant and it's absolute set-up bait for aegislash. it does serve a pretty solid function in fast u-turn + very strong stab + luring in gliscor with hp ice and generally breaking down the most important physically defensive pokemon in this meta, but idk if i would use it after pokebank is released since there will be better things to use in a week or so. i think you have to be very adroit in using mienshao in order to get the most out of it but it's not by any means a bad pokemon in ou or anything

(edit: granted, from what i can gather, mix shadow ball is the most common set on aegis now, but it still gives it a pretty easy opportunity to switch in. yea, ""predict and u-turn,"" i guess, but idk)

Mienshao can maim or kill Ghosts with Knock Off, so if it hits a bulky Ghost on the switch it can then either finish the job with another Knock Off or U-Turn out, as appropriate.

was not aware of that, that actually changes a lot tbh, mien looks pretty good to me now!

I use Mienshaos all the time (they're one of my favorite Pokemon both design-wise and battle-wise), and I don't find them too underused.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom