• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Has your favorite Pokémon changed over time?

cute patootie
Reaction score
  • Staff
is your first favorite Pokémon the same as now? how has/have your favorites changed over time?

pretty sure pikachu was a favorite of mine way long ago and even though I still like it a lot, there are others I like more. it's especially hard when each generation introduces new mons I like a lot! nowadays my top favorites are mareep, wooloo, cinccino, flareon, and poipole.

powerrrrr!
Reaction score
oh, definitely. before i really knew pokemon, i liked raichu because of it's design. then it was altaria for a while, then munchlax for a looong time, and now it's mimikyu.

Sulfuric Shell
Reaction score
I could've sworn there was a thread like this already, but I could be misremembering. Anyways...
Yes, my favorite Pokemon has changed over time. Flygon was really my first favorite Pokemon for a very long time (perhaps sharing this ranking with Hydreigon for a bit). However, early last year, I started paying attention to Turtonator (I saw cute gifs of it in Refresh), and began to like it, starting with setting my flair Pokemon on r/pokemon (you get the menu sprite of your chosen Pokemon in your flair), until it became my favorite Pokemon. Flygon is now my second favorite Pokemon while Turtonator is my favorite of all time.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Cubone was my top favorite Pokemon for a very long time, like since Gen I. But when Galarian Rapidash was revealed, I think it took the spot. I've always wanted a unicorn Pokemon that is a little less "mean" looking than the original Rapidash. Galarian Rapidash is simply gorgeous. I can't get enough of it.

*Mreow* "what did I do?"
Reaction score
Mine has quite a lot - for almost four generations, Persian was my top favorite Pokemon, to this day still love it, it isn't my number one favorite
Liepard took it's spot when I first saw it
for a while after watching the anime... for some reason Watchog was my most favorite of all Pokemon, today still love it
then I remember that Mienshao then took over as my favorite Pokemon, when I got my pet ferret, not to long after caught my first shiny which happened to be Mienfoo

started to love foxes, around the time that sixth gen was starting, once I saw Fennekin it became my most favorite Pokemon for a while, then Delphox took that spot

around the 7th gen, when the Eevees then became my most favorite of all Pokemon - at the time, Flareon was my most favorite Pokemon, today it is still on my top 5 favorites... at the moment cutie Sylveon is my most favorite Pokemon, for the love of foxes, pink, fairy, and cuteness

the other captain toad
Reaction score
Oddish has consistently been my favorite since I've first started playing, but I think my second favorites have always been changing with every gen. It's gone from Koffing > Metagross > Drifloon > Chandelure > Barbaracle.

I'm too attached to Oddish, but I really love a lot of other Pokemon too, I guess.

Reaction score
I was constantly umm-ing and ahh-ing in the late 90s over my precise favourites from the 150 (my books, stickers and other paraphernalia didn't even have Mew). I had a soft spot for Alakazam and Poliwhirl for significant periods, but I always kept coming back to that magnificent beetle from my first episode of the anime, Challenge of the Samurai - Pinsir. At the risk of coming across as a hipster, it's almost always had just enough of an absence of love to make me feel as though I'm the only fan in the world, and that this is my niche within the franchise; it's quite liberating to have your colours nailed very firmly to one mast.

The runners-up have shifted around considerably, though. In particular, I hated Exeggutor for years until the Gen 4 sprite. The strange walk became a more menacing squat, and a strong, vibrant yellow replaced the sickly pale colour of the heads. It also happens to complement Pinsir's silhouette very well; the range and diversity of body types within my theoretical top team often trumps my thoughts on individual Pokemon (for example, I love Primeape, but I'm not sure it has a place alongside another short, broad biped like Pinsir).

The flavor of coffee~
Reaction score
Before having ever watched the anime or played the games, I only knew of a few Pokémon from real-life friends. This was probably in the year 1999, when I was 8 years old. My favorite would have been either Wartortle or Raichu (something about their ears maybe, idk). After seeing the anime (probably in that same year), Starmie became my favorite and it hasn't really changed since, although there are a lot of Pokémon I like similarly well.

how we so, chasing gold
Reaction score
kinda. bulbasaur was my #1 all-time favourite pokemon and shaymin/skymin wasn't really... on the list at all until a couple of years back and i was like "huh, i wondered why this wasn't my favourite pokemon sooner?", and there you have it. it basically swapped places with bulbasaur and it became #1 while bulbasaur became #2

g-max smite
Reaction score
there are four pokemon that have held the honor of being my favorite pokemon at some point in time. Feraligatr, Sharpedo, Sableye, and Galarian Stunfisk.

my original favorite pokemon was feraligatr. Pokemon gold was my first pokemon game, and totodile was my starter. Which explains a lot of it. It held the position for quite some time, until about....2011 or 2012, iirc? It was then that I decided I preferred sharpedo. I don't think sharpedo held the position for very long before sableye usurped it.

Sableye was my favorite pokemon for years, until very recently. Stunfisk has always been a pokemon I've loved to death, ever since I first laid eyes on a leaked image of it prior to BW's release. It wasn't quite good enough to be my favorite pokemon, though. Then, during the sword and shield leaks, I saw that it had received a galarian form. An edgier version of stunfisk....? It was everything a goth girl like me could have wanted. It should go without saying, but I was incredibly excited to train one myself. The more I saw of the adorable metal flatfish, the more I loved it. I mulled over the possibility of giving it the title of favorite pokemon for months, largely to give new toy syndrome some time to wear off...I ultimately did conclude that I preferred it to sableye, and there you have it.

Sabae and sharky are still part of my top three, although I don't care about gatr nearly as much as I used to. I still quite like it and totodile, but they aren't even top 20 at this point.

Last edited:
Shaped Like a Friend
Reaction score
I didn't really have a consistent favorite when I was much younger.
...Well, actually, scratch that. Believe it or not, back in my late elementary school days, I had this weird obsession with... Celebi, of all things. I'm... honestly not sure how exactly did I get obsessed with it in the first place, but I remember drawing it a lot when I was a tween. It's especially odd since these days it's not even my favorite Mythical; Jirachi is.
I'm pretty sure it was around Gen V-ish that I realized my true affection lies within Sableye and Mawile; this oddball duo of humanoids based on the Hopkinsville Goblin and a goofy youkai, respectively.
To a lesser extent, Beheeyem was a Pokemon that I've always had a... strange fascination for, even before I got interested in aliens and stuff. My feelings for it are strong enough that it currently rests atop the third place on my mental list.