• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have any video game companies disappointed you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media Molecule. Not only am I hearing complaints about how broken LittleBigPlanet 3 is, but I found out Japanese servers for the series are shutting down soon.

A recent one: I guess you can say Comcept has disappointed me. They're the indie company that was responsible for the game Mighty No. 9.

A lot of people were wanting MN9 to fail thanks to a lot of bad decisions made and, as much as I am not a fan of the final release of the game, it's really sad to see this happen. I'm not one of those people who wanted to see MN9 fail. I actually wanted to like this game and go against the naysayers. I am not the type of person to diss on something I have never played. Now that I have played it, it's impossible to play devil's advocate when the game managed to freeze my Wii U console twice. If it wasn't freezing, then it was the slowdown being a pain. I did manage to finish the game all the way to the end but it was a chore to get through. It wasn't fun, and if a game is not fun, then it fails as a game.

This game was fueled by people mad at Capcom for not releasing Mega Man Legends 3, and the person responsible for the Kickstarter, Keiji Inafune, was banking on that. Comcept had a team of people who had years of experience in making some of the greatest games in history, but after actually playing MN9, if I didn't know this was a Kickstarter project with that kind of talent, I would have thought it was a created by an amateur with no experience. Soulless is the perfect word to use to describe this game. It looked and played like something an AAA company would have pushed out in 1999 to meet the Christmas deadline. It's like Inafune forgot that he no longer works at Capcom anymore and treated Mighty No. 9 like it was a big budget game invested by those with deep pockets.

Comcept also has a notorious reputation of putting the cart before the horse. Before MN9 was even fully conceptualized, they had a cartoon and live-action movie planned out, along with a Mega Man Legends knockoff in the form of Red Ash. All that before people knew how mediocre at best MN9 was going to be.

I think what really did them in was porting to all these different consoles and platforms with vastly different engines. I know very little about developing a game, but even I know that porting to multiple platforms all across the board would have been a massive undertaking. Then again, it didn't have to be that bad. The company responsible for one of my favorite games, Yacht Club Games, managed to port Shovel Knight to different consoles over time instead of all at once. Porting didn't have to be such a daunting task, but it must have been if the game played like it was bugging out every 20 minutes on the Wii U.

I want to give mercy points because they are an indie company, but at the same time, they reap what they sow. They tried to be a big corporation like Capcom but couldn't, and it shows.

Disney Infinity, even more. Look at all these scrapped figures, including "Premium" 12-inch figures of Hulk and Jack Skellington!
13585029_601286353365935_9210479723786861998_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Capcom and not translating Phoenix Wright games. Am I wrong to want to play a AAI 2 without an emulator? Can non-Japanese people really not cope with DGS?

There is one company I am disappointed, but not in a disapproval sense that many examples here exude. The disappointment I am expressing here is more of "it would be nice if this company does this and that, but too bad they couldn't", because it would be wrong for me to feel the need of a company to cater to my desires.

With that said, that company is Popcap Games. As of now, their main output is Plants vs Zombies, which is probably the only thing they are doing going forward. Sure they have the odd Bejewel Stars, but it's a shame that instead of being experimental, they are now saddled with Plants vs Zombies. It's probably that EA needed them to concentrate on the popular game series where there is nothing like, as Bejeweled games is eclipsed by Candy Crush Saga.

To understand why I appreciated Popcap Games, they produced some fine games and was one of the pioneers for casual gaming on the PC in the early-to-mid 2000s. Bejeweled was the beginning, and their other games were really fun to play even if some of them took after previous concepts (Zuma from Puzzloop, Dynomite from Bust-a-Move). They even have original concepts thrown in, including an RPG battle game using words for attacks (Bookworm Adventures).

Thanks for reading.

Media Molecule. Not only am I hearing complaints about how broken LittleBigPlanet 3 is, but I found out Japanese servers for the series are shutting down soon.
thet wasn't byu media molocule
they sold the rights to tarsier studios as they where done with LBP
and LBP 3 is fun, if albiet still a little bit glitchy.
that being said, I am serverly mad at robomodo for ruining the tony hawk franchise. and neversoft for selling their claim to fame in the first place.

Popcap Games and EA for ruining PvZ2.
So we have this masterpiece of a tower defense game on one side called PvZ with tons of things like I, Zombie and stuff.
Then we have a piece of crap game where the difficulty spike is high and you basically HAVE to pay to have any sort of chance, either that or spam pinata party whenever you see it. Oh right, and most of the good stuff and things that would of made it a bit more worthy as a sequel to the original was locked behind China. That's right - in order to get what feels more like a full experience you must have the chinese version of the game All Stars. Then i'm kinda mad at them for closing PvZ Adventures (which was the only reason I was about to get a facebook account and to this day I still don't have one thanks to it.)
And then basically everything EA touches gets ruined. PVZ2? Have to pay to do anything. Sims Freeplay? Have to pay to do anything. Last time I checked, Assassin's Creed Unity wasn't really that good. Then all those games with microtransactions required...

Popcap Games and EA for ruining PvZ2.
So we have this masterpiece of a tower defense game on one side called PvZ with tons of things like I, Zombie and stuff.
Then we have a piece of crap game where the difficulty spike is high and you basically HAVE to pay to have any sort of chance, either that or spam pinata party whenever you see it. Oh right, and most of the good stuff and things that would of made it a bit more worthy as a sequel to the original was locked behind China. That's right - in order to get what feels more like a full experience you must have the chinese version of the game All Stars. Then i'm kinda mad at them for closing PvZ Adventures (which was the only reason I was about to get a facebook account and to this day I still don't have one thanks to it.)
And then basically everything EA touches gets ruined. PVZ2? Have to pay to do anything. Sims Freeplay? Have to pay to do anything. Last time I checked, Assassin's Creed Unity wasn't really that good. Then all those games with microtransactions required...

To add to the ruined experiences for Plants vs Zombies, I heard from some people that Garden Warfare 2's gameplay balance patch made the game less balanced, which in turned made the game less fun. Keep in mind that I never played this, so I cannot verify this for you.

I agree on the front that the Plants vs Zombies 2 experience is more limited than it should be because of its free-to-play focus. I played it on my cousin's iPad, and I had fun with it. It should be noted that he did not pay for anything in it, meaning that the things that you need to pay real money for aren't available (he mentioned that he wanted to wait for a sale where Diamonds are used to pay for stuff instead of real money). I think the idea with doing this is to balance the game being accessible to everybody with needing to pay money to support the company, but I would have preferred it if there is a one-time payment for everything, so that these hindrances won't be taken into consideration in the experience. Unfortunately, since Popcap is owned by EA, the game will have to be available on Origin since EA never publish their newer games on Steam, and Popcap is not in a spot to self-publish their games like they did before they were owned by EA.

One positive with Plants vs Zombies 2, I have to say, is that at least Popcap never barred players from playing all the levels, and took certain feedback into account when they did something undesirable (example: they once put a system where you have to pay coins to replace used lawnmowers, but removed it in a later update).

Personally, I feel that Popcap putting their entire focus on Plants vs Zombies is detrimental for a company who started out doing original games, so it would be great if Popcap could get back to doing small games that are enjoyable for all ages, especially puzzle games like Bejeweled. Bejeweled 3 might have been a sequel, but it has enough to differentiate between the last two games that made it the definitive experience.

Thanks for reading.

NCSoft
They shut down City of Heroes, my one and only MMO love

ArenaNet
Guild Wars 2 is good but honestly, I think they made the game way too soon since I think Guild Wars 1 still had maybe somewhere between three to five more games that they probably could of made just to expand the general lore, added some more features, and added a few more classes before they made GW2. As for Guild Wars Eye of the North, again, like GW2 is good and has decent story, its nothing more than a bridge between GW1 and GW2.

Nintendo.

FOR THE REGION CODES.

hopefully they're gone in the next hardware...

Especially when they were fine with region-free DSs, GBAs, and GBCs. Why is it only now that they have a problem with a region-free handheld? Why do they even have a hissy-fit against region-free 3DSs it in the first place?

Konami, full stop. I was pissed off that they aren't doing real games anymore and now they're just doing that mobile garbage. And that's not even getting into the way they treated Hideo Kojima...

Square-Enix disappointed me when they bought Tomb Raider and made the 2013 reboot. The game just...wasn't Tomb Raider. It didn't have the puzzle-solving atmosphere that I was used to, and it was gutloaded with cutscenes (a Square-Enix staple - though thankfully not to the extent of Final Fantasy). I've pretty much sworn off Square-Enix for good (not due to the Tomb Raider reboot, but due to the fact that I'm sick of their pretentiousness.)

EA's removal of many of the features in Sims 4 really pissed me off too.

Last edited:
Square Enix. Oh my God, what happened to you? I keep saying.

Unlike everyone else though, what I really disliked what Final Fantasy XII. That marked the point where they just began to shift away too much from what a Final Fantasy is, in my opinion, and I haven't really been able to connect with their games since with the exception of the still brilliant (gameplay wise, not really story so much) KH games. They've been disappointing me since 2005. I still keep track of them because I'm a hopeless dreamer who can't help but want the good old days again. Luckily, they are improving. However, this recent delay of Final Fantasy XV and how long its production has taken... it's quite disappointing. You'd think 10 years would be enough to polish the game, but they have to delay it two more months. Come on, just release it already!

Oh and Monolith Soft disappointed me with the Xenoblade series. Not that I was expecting anything to top Xenosaga in quality, which I absolutely loved. But just seeing the story degrade significantly in quality and the gameplay become very unwieldy for me to play was a disappointment. Even more so was Xenoblade X, which I thought was at least going to improve the story if not gameplay. Instead, it has ridiculously tiny text that gives me a headache just to watch someone else play, and is far too big and complex for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom