• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have anyone actually played a previous generation game after current?

henrymidfields

Prime Minister of Shoyo 昇陽国内閣総理大臣
Reaction score
Especially for those of you who did not play through all generations:

Did you get interested in playing a previous generation game after playing the current one? Either in the past or in the present? How did it feel? Were you able to get through the earlier game all right?

I actually did this twice:

- I played Silver as my very first Pokémon game in 2000, and started playing Red in 2001. It was weird trying to come to terms with the lack of Dark/Steel, and the earlier pixels look freaky too. They didn't really look like related games.
- I've done the same thing again with playing Pokémon Y in October last year, and then bought Pokémon Black in December, and I am now playing Pokémon Black 2 since August this year. This one I had less trouble transitioning between the new and the old.

Last edited:
My very first game was X, which I got for Christmas last year (I had already played through Red on emulators though) Now I've been playing through Platinum and White2 so that I can transfer some 'mons into X and complete the Pokedex easier. I've also been playing through FireRed on an emulator just for fun.

I went back and finally beat FireRed two months ago. There's a certain nostalgia for games of an older generation, sometimes you want something that just feels different.

If you mean started a new game and stuff, then no, not me. xD. I've gone back and played for a few minutes of my old game files on Emerald, Pearl, Platinum, HG/SS, BW/BW2, but never started a new journey. ^^ However, after OR/AS comes out, I'll probably go back and finish my X game that I never did quite finish after I wiped the old save file. ^^

I also started with Silver in Christmas 2000 and then went back to Red in 2002ish. It wasn't really that bad an adjustment for me, although the graphics and the gameplay mechanics did take some getting used to.

Played as in went back and replayed, yes. But if you mean that I played e.g. gen 3 before gen 2, nope, I didn't. All generations in order.

I've done so a few times. I was playing Colosseum not that long ago. And about a month or two ago I was playing one of my Platinum versions, but I've sorta stopped just before the league. And I was playing White not too long ago, either, but I just haven't really been in the mood to play much of anything as of late (I blame the weather for making me feel fatigued and unenthused to do much of anything).

Pearl was my first game which I got a few months after it came out. Then I got FireRed for Christmas that same year. I don't remember the transition being very difficult. Especially since I wasn't exactly an expert with Pearl's gameplay anyway:p I've also played some roms of Red, Yellow, and Crystal (none of which I've finished).

I've done that a few times. My first game was Platinum, then White, then I went back to Soulsilver, and then I played some of the gen. 3 games.

I play Gen IV and V from time to time for the fun of it and to get some trade fodder. I've also got a FireRed version and a Game Boy Advance, so I play that occasionally too. I find that playing back to the older games gives me a greater appreciation for the sharp graphics of Gen VI and a greater love for the franchise in general.

Played as in went back and replayed, yes. But if you mean that I played e.g. gen 3 before gen 2, nope, I didn't. All generations in order.

If you mean started a new game and stuff, then no, not me. xD. I've gone back and played for a few minutes of my old game files on Emerald, Pearl, Platinum, HG/SS, BW/BW2, but never started a new journey. ^^ However, after OR/AS comes out, I'll probably go back and finish my X game that I never did quite finish after I wiped the old save file. ^^

Foir clarity, I actually meant, for example, playing Gen 3 first, then (bought/borrowed a friend's copy of) Gen 2 later to start a new adventure. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Pearl was my first game which I got a few months after it came out. Then I got FireRed for Christmas that same year. I don't remember the transition being very difficult. Especially since I wasn't exactly an expert with Pearl's gameplay anyway:p I've also played some roms of Red, Yellow, and Crystal (none of which I've finished).

I gathered that you got through the pre-Physical/Special split? I did remember why some so-called "super-effective" moves against some opponents weren't that effective in my main adventure of Y, completely unaware/forgetting about the S-Ph split. (I didn't play DPPt nor HGSS, so...)

I also started with Silver in Christmas 2000 and then went back to Red in 2002ish. It wasn't really that bad an adjustment for me, although the graphics and the gameplay mechanics did take some getting used to.

Were you freaked out by Golbat's/Haunter's sprite in RBY? I had nightmares with that - thank goodness those two sprites were better in the remakes.

Last edited:
With all the news and leaks of ORAS, I wanted to dust off my copy of Ruby, and just play around. I was only going to play for a few minutes, but ended up playing for a few hours. Nostalgia took over at that point. Other than that, I really don't play the older games.

I have to go back to HGSS every once and a while because gamefreak likes cutting content. Same thing with B2W2. Why Pokeathlon and PWT aren't main stays is beyond any human comprehension.

I played SoulSilver and Platinum after White. White got me back into the franchise after 8 years, so I decided to check out what I had missed.

I played gen 3 first and played gen 1 and 2 later.

I have bought at least one of each series when they were new but never reall played them. Never really had time. Now I am playing Diamond through to the end and I have played SoulSilver through the end of the first part now I'm over half way through the Kanto region. I caught suicune but I can't seem to lock down on the other two

Dom

I gathered that you got through the pre-Physical/Special split? I did remember why some so-called "super-effective" moves against some opponents weren't that effective in my main adventure of Y, completely unaware/forgetting about the S-Ph split. (I didn't play DPPt nor HGSS, so...)

Lol, I probably wasn't even aware of how it was in Pearl. I really didn't pay attention to moves and what not. However, I did know of how the moves were categorized pre-gen 4 as I remember seeing it listed in PMD 1. I probably just didn't think about it that much. I do recall a time being confused as to why my Flareon's Flamethrower wasn't knocking out opponents I thought it would in FireRed, so I guess I figured it out eventually:)

I think it was around Platinum were I fully got everything down; moves, stats, etc.

I played Emerald during Gen V (a few months before XY's release) and I also played Red during that time.
I enjoyed Red as it was kinda fun to play with it being so different and seeing the origins of everything, but I just didn't like Emerald.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom