• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever completed a Pokémon game with all three starters in your party?

Have you ever completed a Pokémon game with all three starters in your party?

• Total voters

MizuTaipu

Reaction score
Mods: If there's a similar thread like this, please feel free to close it.

Have you ever completed a game with the other two starters traded to your party (not counting Yellow)? What are your thoughts on playing that way?

I experimented doing that with Emerald, actually, and it was an interesting experience. It makes the gameplay somewhat easier, but it also adds an interesting uniqueness to it. It was also kinda cool seeing Sceptile, Blaziken, and Swampert grow up together. :)

Last edited:
I did it with Pokémon Yellow. It was great at that time because of the anime.
I don't do it anymore because I think it's terribly cheap getting all the starters like that. For me, the fun of playing is getting different pokémon. The starters are kinda similar.

I believe I did so once when I replayed Pearl. To be honest, I didn't really like it. It was kinda weird and I almost felt like Ash so I'll probably never do that again. After all the main point of the starters is that you can only choose one, so I naturally prefer playing it that way.

I almost ALWAYS get all three starters, but I can only recall three times where I ever finished using all of them
They were a nasty force in Diamond, less so in Red and Yellow.

And once in Crystal I used all six starters. It was tough being so limited.

I've done it several times: three times in HeartGold, twice BW2 (planning to do a third soon), and now I'm doing this in Platinum. The only issue I have is that I also rotate, and usually there's a great Grass Pokemon to add to my team, so the Grass starter usually gets neglected.

I've done it once in Yellow, but never again. There are a bunch of other pokemons I want to use, and having all the starters in my team limit my choices when I may never actually need them.

I've sort of done it. I used a mixed of 3 in my team from the first 4 gen games in my diamond playthrough.

I also did a pure 6 eevee run ( hadto swop one out occassional for fly).

I have never used more than one starter in a playthrough, but I have a strong feeling that it will happen for the first time when I play Pokémon Y. That being said, I don't plan to use only the starters in my team, there are just too many awesome Pokémon in Kalos and I don't plant to ignore them. Well, maybe in a second or third playthrough, but that will depend a lot of the new starters' evolutions.

I was replaying diamond, and since I had just restarted heartgold also, I thought "Why don't I trade over all three Johto starters to diamond. So I kept restarting HG and sending them over. It was cool but also somewhat challenging as I only had two spaces left for other pokemon types, because I kept using my turtwig, even though I probably shouldn't have. So yes I have started with all three starters, but just not the region they're starters in.

In Yellow, yes, and it was awesome~

I've also done two playthroughs with mixed starters: Chimchar, Treecko, and Oshawott and then Totodile, Snivy, and Turtwig. Pretty hardcore, both times, but I think I prefer that Infernape-Samurott-Sceptile combo.

I haven't done one yet, but now with Gen 6 I might try to do an all grass/fire/water type starter team. :p

I did it during Black 2. It was fun, but I don't think I'll do it again in the future, at least now in the way I did it, which was trying to keep every member of my team the same level, with special emphasis on those three. Because of that, I was pretty underleveled the entire game, which sucked. But I guess that gave me a good challenge, which I liked and was a good breath of fresh air as opposed to beating Red on my 6th day of playing HeartGold.

No I haven't done that before, but I have used two starters from different generations in a play-through.

Although I really like the idea, so maybe I will do it in Pokemon X&Y.

No. DX. I probably would of liked to have done it in Leafgreen and Emerald, but I had no way of trading and such. DX. *sigh*
But I haven't in any other generations. My first starter means too much to me to put two other starters on my team. xD.
But that might change in X & Y, though...

I used the Action Replay in one of the Sinnoh games to capture Gardenia's Turtwig, but I got bored with it and swapped it out later on in the game.
Again in SoulSilver I used a cheat to allow me to take as many starters as I liked, I took Chikorita and Totodile, I made sure I took Chikorita first so that the rival would play with a Cyndaquil, and that ladies and gentleman is where the extra Poke ball in Elm's lab went in my headcannon (ignoring the fact it was still there for a while, even though I'd already taken them)

Also the team I used in HGSS Kanto had 2 starters in, just not from the same Gen/Game (Venusaur and Infernape)

Doing this on the current playthrough of Platinum. It's annoying at first because you have to trade them and they level up way too fast and suddenly they're disobedient. Although after the 4th gym I was able to use them without having to worry that much. Also since I use 2 pokemon for HMs (cause I'm lazy, that's why), I only got room for one other type. But since every last evolution of the 4th gen starters gains another type, the issue with different movetypes isn't that huge. Now at Iron Island and I'm going to get through the elite 4 and get all legendaries without switching the starters out.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom