• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever ditched your Starter?

I ditched my Venusaur in my very first playthrough of Red at one point because I thought I was relying on it too much, but I quickly changed my mind and put it back in my team. Other than that, never. Even if I don't train them, I use them as HM slaves.

Never, really. I mightn't train them as thoroughly as other Pokemon for periods of time, or not use them for a while, but I always go back to them somehow. I don't know why, really, I just have this weird bond with my starter, no matter what starter they are, I usually grow fond of them in a whole playthrough of a game. I mightn't use my starter in B/W 2; I'd like to do something different for once to challenge this little bond of mine.

I've boxed it occasionally (i.e when I was facing a gym challenge where there was a type disadvantage and I wanted to make room for another Pokemon that would fare better against the gym's type) but I've never released it.

Does trading away your starter to a different game and then resetting the file count? Cuz I did that a lot...true it was to get all the starters on my OTHER game but...

Aside from that I rarely ever ditch my starter, except in Black where I'm doing an electric-type only run. I traded Tepig for a Pichu-egg.

My first time playing a new generation of pokemon games I always use my starter, but once I've familiarized myself with the new pokemon available in that generation I tend to box my starter as soon as I catch the first permanent member of my team and never touch them again. Sometimes they manage to stay on as an HM slave though. For the remakes (fire red, leaf green, heart gold, soul silver) I don't really use the starters because I know the gen 1 and 2 pokemon very well from the originals anyway, and have already used al of the gen 1 and 2 starters in their debut games.

Occasionally I will use a starter when I feel they will well work on my team though (for example my sapphire team still uses my starter). But those cases are rare.

Depends of the game.

- In RBY/FRLG, I never ditched my starter, because I always chose Bulbasaur <3
- In GSC/HGSS, I tend to ditch the starter because I don't like any of them.
- Again, in RSE, I'm not very found in any of the starters, but I don't ditch them either.
- In DPP, I tend to train my starter, usually Piplup or Turtwig. Best.starters.ever.
- In BW, I train my Tepig until I have better Pokémon in my team. I really like the fire pig, but it isn't that fun to play with it.
- In Nobunaga's Ambition I ditched my Eevee. Eevee sucks. :eh:

I think the closest I've come to ditching a starter pokemon is replacing it with a different starter pokemon, but I always have a starter pokemon on my team, sometimes more than one.

I wasn't very fond of the Gen IV starters, so I usually just stuck my starter in a box and used Pokemon I caught. All the other generations, I've kept my starter.

I've ditched my starter some times.

Example: In my most recent playthrough of Black, I ditched the Emboar mainly because I had a Gurdurr that was performing better. I have also done this when I've had a Grass starter [exception being Serperior].

Ummm, yes. Serperior is the only one, though. It don't fit my style, and my Lilligant was actullay amazing, so i dropped it. Also, for you Gen III ditchers, ever try Torchic? I luv it.

Ummm, yes. Serperior is the only one, though. It don't fit my style, and my Lilligant was actullay amazing, so i dropped it. Also, for you Gen III ditchers, ever try Torchic? I luv it.

Yep. Not a bad Pokémon, but not my type of starter.
I'd rather have a Swampert in my team or a Sceptile, if it had a better look (Grovyle is cool, but Sceptile... eew)

I usually do because honestly I could see kids that get starter pokemon as the spoiled kids if we were actually pokemon trainers. Thus, I add the little challenge and personal effect of catching my main pokemon ^^. Usually try to get a Growlithe.

The only time I've ditched my starter was back in Pearl - Infernape to be exact. If I recall I had overtrained a Staraptor and ditched Infernape as it lagged behind in levels (if I recall correctly that is).

Never, don't even care if design wise or battle wise they are less than later Pokemon, if never feels right at all going through the games without the starter. I just care too much about them to ever ditch them, and instead of choosing the lazy way out I just try my best to make them useful and the best they can be in game.

The only time I've ever ditched my starter was when I traded my first Pokémon, a lvl. 94 Blaziken, to my brother because he wanted an easy win against the Elite Four. After, he said I could take the game he was playing, and I stupidly saved over in a new game without trading it back.

In every Pokemon game I've ever played, I've never nor will I ever ditch my starter. I guess I just get attached to it? Like, man, this is my first bro, and we're starting this journey together, through thick and thin! ;_;

sames as ^^^
starters are FAMILY that you cant choose (except at the start lol)
and anything else are just FRIENDS...which are interchangeable
imo

I just went so far as to try finish LG with a Charmander (ie. NOT evolve it!!!)
...only got it to lvl 38 but!

I've never ditched a starter Pokemon (the eeveelutions from Colo./XD included). It never crossed my mind actually for many years. Why WOULDN'T you use such cool and unique pokes? Regardless of how lackluster they may be at times, they started a journey with you. They're, dare I say, your PARTNER, who held you up through the beginning of your travels, defending you against the world of Zubats and Bidoofs. I could never bring myself to drop a friend like that, laying their life down for me on a regular basis.

And while going through White I was tempted to drop my Snivy for an Oshawott my friend gave me, but I bonded with that useless smug snake and stuck it out with him, finding out what he was actually good at and trying to cope to his strengths.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom