• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever ditched your Starter?

I stick with my starter most of the time. If anything, I'll at least hold on to them through the league. Then I'll box them, or just completely rebuild my team altogether.

The only case in which I almost always ditch my starter is in Yellow version. Once I get Eevee, I replace Pikachu with Jolteon.

No, it stays on my team always.
But in HG and Diamond, I kinda replaced him for one of my new faves, Lickilicky. But he stays as backup.

I've never replaced my starter in any of the games I've played but if the starters stay the same in B2W2 I'll be tempted to change. I'll still pick Oshawott though!

Ive never ditched my starter, but im planning to when i get white 2. i will trade it for a togetic that i have prepared

No I have never ditched my starter. I like to create my teams depending on which type my starter Pokémon is. In my teams I usually have one Water, one Fire and one Grass type Pokémon but one one of them is a starter Pokémon.

Within the first 2 hours of game time, I start aiming to have 3-4 even level pokemon. At some point one of the first few I catch gets first slot and before I know it, it's leveled far above the others. In my pokemon white game it was that dog, the one that evolves into dog w/biker moustache.
Aha many pokemon names, and their evolved states escape me when I nickname everything I catch.

Only when I would get bored and do a Mono Type Team challenge when I was younger. I did one for nearly every type and it was fun, but there's nothing like doing a mixed team and the starters are just too dang adorable to not want to keep on my team.

In my White version, I picked snivy but as soon as I got to castelia city I ditched it for my victini that is awesome. Thats the only time I ever have and ever will.

I ditched my tepig asap. Made Sawk my main man and didnt rlly had problems. was even more fun then the basic fire/water/grass starters..

Still hope for a day when I can start my journey with a Elekid

I haven't ever ditched my starter, but I plan to ditch my starter for a Torchic (traded in) in W2, Mainly because I already used Tsutarja, I don't like Tehpig, and I don't use water type starters. (And yes, I lack the ability to type the Unova starters' real names.)

Nope, never done it. It sounds like an interesting thing to try though.

Not really. I have some teams that don't include my starter, but I always train them to high, desirable level regardless.

My first time ditching a starter was pokemon Platinum, where I swapped my starter with a Charmander. More recently, I just beat Ghetsis with a no-starter team. I replaced Oshawott with the Pansear you are given at the Dreamyard. I don't know if I played to the E4 on my attempts in Platinum, but my Black team worked pretty well, especially because I demolished Ghetsis's Hydreigon in one hit :p

I think the only starters that are decent are Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Sceptile, Blaziken, Infernape, Torterra, and Empoleon.
I think that Meganium is underestimated, and that every pokemon can be good.
Typhlosion and Swampert are definitely are overestimated and exaggerated to sound like they are soooo awesome. While their appearances may be intruiging, Typhlosion's movepool is bone dry, and swampert's is overestimated.

Also, the unova starters Suck, in my opinion.

A fire and fighting type again? Whats up with this? We already have Blaziken which was awesome, then infernape that was exceptional, but now emboar is here, and it doesn't even learn ONE fighting type. So guess what, you have to keep that pathetic move, arm thrust, until you can teach it brick break or a better fighting move.

I kinda like Samurott's design and all, but it's movepool is kinda dry.
Sure yeah, it can learn some water and ice moves, and ONE bug type, yeah thats great.

Ah great, A grassy snake. My favorite, serperior. The first time I played White, I first saw they first moves, and I was like: " Oh hey this snivy must learn good moves!"
Wrong. The best move it can learn, is either dragon tail, or giga impact, or even solar beam.

I quickly restarted the game, with tepig, beat most of the game, then restarted with oshawott, and beat the game.
I grew bored with all three of them, snivy before he even turned into a serperior.

What's my fav starter? ah, good ole charizard.

So back to the main topic, I have pretty much never given up my starter, except for once, when I released my torterra.

No, never. Your starter is always one of the best-trained Pokémon on your team, and thus is always a force to be reckoned with. Maybe, in future games, if I think the starters are really bad, I'll ditch mine, but not otherwise.

I did once, in my most resent play through of Emerald I got rid of my Torchic because I had other Pokemon in mind for my team. I'm not a big fan of Torchic anyway, so it turned out fine.

I have not intentionally put away the starting Pokèmon to use something else, but I have lost starting Pokèmon by accident.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom