• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever ditched your Starter?

I never ditched my starter. I always play through with them and even if I end up boxing and switching around most of my team my one consistent member will be my starter.

Nope,and never will.

In Blue, Venusaur was vry strong on my first run, but on my second, Charizard really was worth the hard time to raise.

In Crystal, Typhlosion stayed with my team all throughout

In Emerald, I reached elite four using only Sceptile and Swellow for battles. I'm not kidding. And Sceptile was my very first Pokemon to reach lvl. 100

In Diamond, I liked Infernape. But on my second run, I became attached to Empoleon more. Empoleon was the main contributor to my battle with the elite 4.

In Black, Emboar was with me until elite 4 and Ghetsis. On my second nd third runs, I liked Serperior and Samurott more. Can't decide between th 2, but they stayed with me until post-game.

So, overall, I never did, never doing, and never will, ditch my starter.

I picked Oshawott in White, and ended up getting rid of it as soon as I found a better water type. The starter Pokemon are usually average at best, so I usually get them to the final form and shun them to the PC.

Nope. I hardly ever ditch my Starters, since they're a crucial element to the main games.

Usually I ditch my starter as soon as I catch a poison type as I almost always go monotype poison. Although right now I'm doing a nuzlocke run so I've still got my cyndaquill (now a quillava)

I think on my Yellow version I once traded my Pikachu over to another game so it could be evolved into Raichu. I remember being really sad when I got it back and it didn't follow me around anymore...

By that point in the game, it was pretty much the weakest Pokemon in my party though, so it didn't feel much like a starter. It was really only there so I could have a decent electric-type with me.

Well depends how you mean. In both Diamond and Black the starter I initially picked got ditched. First time I played Diamond I picked Turtwig, first time I played Black I picked Snivy. I just found both of them terrible to use, and better Grass types available (unlike Gold and HG where I had to pick Chikorita as there were no other good Grass types,) in both games I had got the 2nd badge before deciding to ditch them.

So I started again, Chimchar in Diamond and Oshawott in Black, and they both turned out really awesome and stayed in my team for the entire play through!

I haven't before, but I'm going to in Black 2. I'm going to trade the Tepig I select to Black for my shiny Charmander as soon as I can. I just did a game with the Unova starters, and I want to mix it up a little.
(The Tepig will be going to a good home, though- I plan to use him in Black. Plus, I need Emboar to complete the Unova dex, so, hey, two birds with one stone.)

Yes. Lots of times.
In HG, I chose Cyndaquil. It's fine, of course, but I wanted to try something different, so...
I caught a Sentret, raised it into a Furret, and it was a BOSS. It one-shotted everyone except the champion's last two pokemon, and it was my only Pokemon except for my TM slaves.
But that's because I took the time to train it. ;D

Hell yeah I've ditched my starters before. I did it with Meganium and had to do it with Infernape. Taking too many hits from flying and psychic moves and grass type starters are just useless. I rather electric types.

In White, I trained all three starters, then left Pignite in the PC following Burgh and Serperior before Brycen. Only Samurott stayed to the end.
In my current playthrough of Soul Silver, as much as I wanted to properly keep and train a Meganium, She's still sitting in the PC as a Bayleef (I'm at the E4 with an almost-ready team)

I ditched my Chikorita in Gold version when I discovered it's attacks had very little effect on both Falkner's and Bugsy's gym. I didn't know what types were about at that time, but I hated seeing that "It's not very effective..." sign appear everytime.

I've only ever done it once - during my first play-through of Pokemon Blue. I was eight or nine at the time, though. I didn't really get the hang of raising Pokemon yet and instead was constantly using a lvl 84 Raticate against the Elite Four. And I won. Wouldn't do it again. I know it seems odd but you can get awfully attached to those sprites.

I ditched my Samurott when it reached Level 38 in White Version. I consider my Chandelure my pseudo-starter since I use her more than any other Pokemon in that version.

I ditched my Quilava in SoulSilver because I found out about Natures, EV-training and IV-breeding. I couldn't live with the idea that Quilava wasn't the 'strongest'. (That actually sounds more like a rival thing to do than a protagonist).
In White I attempted a nuzlocke so I could appreciate normal Pokemon again (even though I gave up when I caught a Timid Trimburr). I made my Dewott an HM mule, so I could still use it but it would stay a Dewott forever. I liked its design better than Samurott and didn't want it to die.

To tell the truth, I usually do. But why is that such a bad thing? Why should I use a Pokemon that I don't want to use on my team? I only use the starters if I like them. I haven't ditched my Torchic, Mudkip, Bulbasaur, Piplup, and Snivy. I used them because I actually like them. Sometimes I want to experiment with different Pokemon, and I don't want the starter filling up a space.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom