• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever ditched your Starter?

Never have, i like the starter even when he's annoyingly below his peers (*couh* meganium/serperior *cough*). He's the 1st pokemon you get in the game, I feel it should count for something :)

I can't say I've ditched any of my starters from any version
I will sometimes leave off the team for a bit when I use others but that's it

I ditched my starter for the first time playing BW2. I used Oshawott in Black and Emboar in White, and I just don't like Snivy. I instead started with Oshawott and boxed it the moment I caught a Simipour. Not entirely happy with that decision, but now that I've beaten the game I might just send my L100 Vaporeon over. >.>

I generally only box a starter if I have used all three starters in a recent previous game with similar mechanics, or if I've used 2/3 and I just don't like the third one.

I have done so quite often, it seems. Right now, in Black2, I still have my Dewott, but in Black, I opted for a "desert" team. In HG, ditched Quilava in his 20's, so I could have Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum from the Pokewalker.

yeah............. in emerald, I ditched my torchic when I found that my poochyena could be much stronger in many battles...........

Hmm, it seems that I would end up ditching my starter in White, despite me previously saying that I'd never.

I did in Pearl. I loved my piplup but I ended up using a Shinx the entire game and it became my main pokemon. I didn't like the way the Empoleon looked really and my rival was using the grass type I regretted not choosing later. I initially began using Shinx because its cute and it stuck. Plus it was horribly amusing to see my Shinx and later Luxray just destroy Magikarps.

I never have, I think the main reason for this is that I always use a grass starter and there is rarely a grass pokemon that is better than them.
I also find that you have a certain connection to your starter too.

Not, not really. I always switch it up too, so that may help. Such as either fully evolving it one game, evolving it once or just not evolving the starter. They're really special Pokemon and will always pull through for you. x33

I have however ditched the HGSS Togepi a few times lol

Only once in SoulSilver. I swapped out Cyndaquil for Chimchar to see how that worked. It destroyed Whitney's Miltank, so I'm guessing that it was a good choice...

i usually ditch them after completing the main story and then start forming up an ideal team. i've gone through quite a few rounds of breeding for days and then going back and starting over with a new team, sans starter, though i bred a mudkip for diamond, but i didn't really count that.

I've never ditched my starter, in fact they're probably my most used Pokemon in every game.

i ditched my starter on BW2 .. serperior just suck's and i replaced him with a Lilipup

I never have...but in my re-run of Platinum I am seriously considering it. I have both a Prinplup and a Shellos in my team (that derp face...I HAD to have that derp face). Now. I know that Empoleon is steel/water. I have trained one before. But I really, REALLY want to put my Probopass back in my team. I already have two waters. The ONLY reasonable choice to box would be my Prinplup; all of its uses are covered by Shellos. Any others would throw off the balance of my team (it's still balanced on the merit that Gastrodon is part ground :p)

However, any strengths of the Probopass are covered by another team member.
It would serve only to be the thing you can't kill (unless you have a fighting-type 0.0)
Wrestling with it. Always feel obligated to raise the starter, starter is the best one to ditch for a rather racist jewtalian rock.

Yeah, in Heart Gold. I ditched my Typhlosion at the end of the game.
Mostly since I wanted to use a Flying type against Bruno and the only one I had was Ho-oh, who of course was also a Fire Type and as such I did not "need" Typhlosion.
...I... kinda regretted not using my first partner I obtained against the Elite 4, though.=/

I never have. Because they're my first, I get all emotional with them. My torterra in platinum and Samurott in W2 haven't even been in a box yet. It does limit my team, but if you raise them good, they'll be really good. A lot of people comlain about Serperior, but I like mine a lot. His speed is great and leaf blade is one of my favorite moves. He is on level 100 and obviously can destroy all the in-games, probably why I think of him so high. I always try to work around my starter the legendary and maybe one other designated Pokemon and build my team off of that...

i only ever choose the water starters. the fire/fighting dual type and the dual typed grass only adds weaknesses. in platinum i kept empoleon but in HG and SS i ditched the starters for a hand made team i traded over from platinum. low levels obviously. but i just get tired of the same old thing. and most starters are just the same thing with a different sprite.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom