• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever ditched your Starter?

It really depends on the Starter. I don't usually ditch Charizard or Samurott.

Never. But I'm thinking about it when I play White 2. I really hate the Unova starters. They're just so weak. I am getting tired of using Oshawott (aka the only good one) I used him in Black, White and Black 2. Snivy sucks and Tepig just doesn't appeal to me. This is the only generation where I do not like any of the starters. In Gen 1,3 and 4 I liked them all.

In my current Black 2 playthrough, the rest of my team is so much better than Samurott it isn't funny.

Never. But I'm thinking about it when I play White 2. I really hate the Unova starters. They're just so weak. I am getting tired of using Oshawott (aka the only good one) I used him in Black, White and Black 2. Snivy sucks and Tepig just doesn't appeal to me. This is the only generation where I do not like any of the starters. In Gen 1,3 and 4 I liked them all.

In my current Black 2 playthrough, the rest of my team is so much better than Samurott it isn't funny.
really?

oshawott is pretty good IMO, and when he was Dewott the guy was my top two team member next to Flaffy.

He always got his ass kicked by Hugh's serperior though, UNTIL I GOT HIM TO LEVEL 80

WHOS BAD NOW HUGH?

Dropped Oshawatt in Black. Technically dropped Tepig in Black 2, but I kept it around for Fighting moves. Not because I wanted it, really >_>

Someday I will... When I found another stronger Water-type Pokemon and switch my Samurott

Nope, I haven't. I wouldn't feel right if I ditched it, for some reason. I was really tempted to in Gen IV, though. I didn't like any of the final evolutions, lol.

really?

oshawott is pretty good IMO, and when he was Dewott the guy was my top two team member next to Flaffy.

He always got his ass kicked by Hugh's serperior though, UNTIL I GOT HIM TO LEVEL 80

WHOS BAD NOW HUGH?

A lot of Pokemon in Unova have very, very high stats compared to previous generations. However, the starters are rather mediocre. They either have only one good stat or their spread is all fucked up. Serperior is really fast, but they made him a tank. Emboar has high attack and respectable special attack, but he's slow on top of being a glass cannon. Seriously?! A slow glass cannon? Samurott has the best stat spread but he's just mediocre...he's definitely no Empoleon, Feraligatr or Swampert.

Outside of Emboar they all have poor movepools. Unova just has bad starters. With that said, Snivy and Servine look really cool! I just wish they had better stats.

I ditched my White 2 starter (can't even remember what it was, I guess i picked Oshawott) as soon as I got my C-Gear, then traded it away for a Seviper Egg.
And then, after a while, I ditched Seviper for a Gastly I found on the Dream World.

I finally got White 2 a couple of days ago, and I decided to blind nuzlocke it, with the added rule of ditching my starter (a Snivy) as soon as I'd caught my first mon, which turned out to be a Patrat T.T

Not in RBY, GSC, or RSE, but in the later games, I do for some reason. In Black 2, I ditched mine soon after I caught a Riolu at Floccesy Ranch. :3

Nah i'll never ditch my starter. i will make sure my starters from any pokemon game reach level 100 first, then i'll give it a rest. :cool:

really?

WHOS BAD NOW HUGH?

A lot of Pokemon in Unova have very, very high stats compared to previous generations. However, the starters are rather mediocre. They either have only one good stat or their spread is all fucked up. Serperior is really fast, but they made him a tank. Emboar has high attack and respectable special attack, but he's slow on top of being a glass cannon. Seriously?! A slow glass cannon? Samurott has the best stat spread but he's just mediocre...he's definitely no Empoleon, Feraligatr or Swampert.

Outside of Emboar they all have poor movepools. Unova just has bad starters. With that said, Snivy and Servine look really cool! I just wish they had better stats.
I haven't played RSE or DPPT, so I can't comment on Empoleon and Swampert's stats

I will agree that feraligatr>samurott though, but I do like Samurott's possible moveset. I kind of wish I kept Razor Shell instead of Dragon Tail though, since I thought that was a sweet little move

Did it on my white 2 playthrough. It felt different, but good at the same time.

For the first time in BW2 -- I ended up replacing my Samurott with a Starmie since my team was having problems with fighting types. I used Samurott in Black, though, and it was the most reliable member of my team.

Never, my starter is there by my side from start to finish. I remember how ever a few years back when I worked at gamestop. I put together a pokemon tournament in celebration of Black and White, I had my team ready to fight just in case there was need for a swap in. And there was so I got to battle, I throw out my Typhlosion and suddenly I over hear like 3 twelve year olds talking smack about my use of a starter pokemon in my team. Mind you this was a fairly easy going tournament none of the kids battling knew anything about EV's, that was the older kids tournament. So after I whooped the poor kid, I turned to the hecklers and said "I've been battling since before you were born. Use your damn starter."

I have never ditched my starter. Besides, why would you pick a starter and ditch it later. In fact, all the starters up to now have appealed to me. I have used most if not all starters and only few have made the game hard but, they will be better later in the game.

I never did and I know I will never do. Not only there is always at least one starter which is appealing enough to me, but other than that, ditching the starter feels deeply wrong to me. Don't know how to explain it clearly enough but it defeats one the game's purposes.

Nope, never. Most of the time, the starter ends up being one of the strongest pokemon in my team actually.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom