• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever ditched your Starter?

You could say Grass starters and I don't have a long-standing history together. They always get the short straw and wind up stuck in the PC at some point.

Treecko was put away in Emerald immediately after it got to Sceptile.
Torterra in Diamond tried, but didn't prove itself effective enough to keep around.
Chikorita in SS never made it to Meganium (until White when I had nothing better to do)
And even when I pushed my Serperior to 50 in White 2, I boxed it.

Gen V is the only gen in which I've ditched a starter (my Samurott). It was actually the weakest Pokemon on my team, despite having the highest level.

I always feel I get pretty attached to my starter, its like that one cuddly toy you have from your childhood and keep throughout your whole life

I just realized that in all my years of playing these games, I have never once ditched my starter until playing Black 2. I can't believe I broke my streak!!! : /

It's not my fault - I had just used Emboar TWICE to go through both Black and White (in which I used exactly the same team for some reason). I didn't take Oshawott because I thought that B2W2 was going to be the game that fixed BW's lack of water type problem, and Snivy sucks and is ugly. :( Stupid Unova starters. I even managed to get through most of Platinum using that damn Torterra, only to lose my streak without realizing it...

I've ditched my starter in monotype challenges before.

For normal play throughs, I don't think I've ever ditched my starter. I was, though, seriously tempted to on my first play through of Black. Serperior made me rage. I practically soloed the game with a Darmanitan.

After beating the E4 in B2, I left my Samurott in my PC unless I needed to Surf or use Waterfall.

I began this after playing Diamond, I trained Empoleon to Level 100 and then I think I got Platinum and trained Torterra to Level 66 then substituted him for another Pokemon.

I never "ditched" any of the starters as of generation five. I simply like them more than most Pokemon, and, even if I am not impressed by their fighting styles, I find movesets that make them strong.

i never ditch my starter because i always choose one that ends up working well in my team and i love starters so no except in hg i don't have any starters in tht team but i decided i was gonna do it tht way before i even started

I ditched my Cyndaquil in my second run of SoulSilver and used the Chimchar that I ditched in my third run of Diamond instead. I also plan to ditch the starter I choose in Gen VI, since none of them appeal to me right now.

The first time I ditched my starter was in White version. I wasn't interested in using Tepig. I planned on picking up a Chandelure, but I never did. My White team struggled a lot because I depended on Hydreigon and Lilligant (traded in) to beat most of the game while everything else I trained (Vanilluxe and Zebstrika) died in every other battle. That team was a mess.

I ditched the starter again in White 2 (I don't even remember what starter I picked lol). I made quite a balanced team of 6 members. Although nothing went horribly wrong, I am still in Victory Road...

Well I wanted to have a badass Team once during a run-through of Heart Gold. I picked Chikorita (just for the lulz of trading it after catching 2 Ratatta's and 3 HootHoot's alongside it). My boyfriend was round at the time, so I got him breed me a bunch of eggs on his Platinum so I could train an awesome Team all the way from eggs throughout the whole game xD It consisted of Piplup, Ralts, Magby and Shinx (I hadn't trained one in a while), and he also traded me a Master Ball over too. So I'm on my way to get my 5th Badge, and then Raikou jumps out of no where xD So I caught Raikou, and my Team for the playthrough ended up being Empoleon, Gardevoir, Magmortar, Luxray and Raikou! It was an awesome Team (despite having two Electric types haha), but yes I have ditched my Starter.
It's fun to try run through's with different Teams and different Pokémon rare to that Region, I also feel like a badass training Pokémon in Johto before the Elite Four that have never been seen there before xD

I've ditched my starter several times.

The problems I find with keeping your starter is that some of them are restricted to one playstyle only, some of them aren't dual types and thus I find they hurt the versatility of the team, and quite frankly it makes playthroughs boring. I don't want the same old Pokémon on my team; I want variation to make this playthrough different than the last ones.

No, I grow too attached to my starter to ditch 'em. Also, they're rare, and I love that! ^-^

I've never ditched ANY starter... Ever...

-Is what I would be saying before I played Pokemon Black.

Black was the only game I've ever ditched my starter in. I didn't really like the starters in Gen 5. I started with Snivy, and I just didn't want to keep any of the starters in my team, and I also had a much better (In my opinion) team, without them.

Note: I base my "Good"ness of teams on their looks, mainly, but also type, and stats.

I did unintentionally ditched a starter once in the original Gold. The starter was Totodile and I ditched it for a Pidgey which evolved into a Pidgeot, though I didn't ditch the poor crocodile completely : when I've beaten Lance, the Totodile had become a "weak" Lvl 32 Feraligatr.

The only other time where I ditched a starter was when I ditched an Infernape in Platinum. After beating Maylene, I traded Infernape on the GTS for a Pokémon I don't remember. Plus, the Infernape had Nasty Plot (which was only available to Chimchar at lvl20+ or something like that). Not that I regret it now, since I don't really like monkey Pokémons aside of Primeape.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom