• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Have you ever had a female starter?

lordfridge

Good Hunter
Reaction score
I just started Ultra Moon and managed to get a female Litten.
Her name is Princess.
No, I'm not going to change it when she evolves.

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
A couple of times, but I have played through so many times that I was bound to get a few. Oddly, I don't really notice when it happens, I notice afterwards when I am breeding and trying to get Egg Moves or Natures.

Nicolas721

Reaction score
My Charmander in X, who I nicknamed Iris, has been the only time. I've yet to nail a female at the start of the game.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Seeing how I have played Pokémon lots of times, I guess I have had a lot.

Contrainer

Wants back into the Cupboard
Reaction score
In Sun AND Moon, both times I got a female Litten.

Tactician Karina

mains Joker's Crow alt
Reaction score
A few times, my most recent one was getting a female Popplio in one of my replays of Moon.

Insanish Danish

grass princess
Reaction score
I believe my first ever female starter was my Torchic in my (now long gone) Emerald game. My Snivy in Black 2 was also female, and my most recent was my Eevee in Let's Go Eevee. I never soft reset for female starters or anything since I really don't care; every other starter I've ever had has been male.

Stratelier

Reaction score
My starter in Emerald was a female Treecko. I bred her once (so I could transfer the child to HGSS) and, oddly, the child was also female.

In Let's Go my Eevee starter is also a female.

Kyriaki

Steven Stone For Life
Reaction score
For Moon version, I tried resettinng to get a shiny Rowlet.
After a few attempts, I gave up because the cutscenes were too long and settled with a female one.

BigBadButterfree

the Destroyer
Reaction score
My first play of Ruby I did some trading so I had all 3 starters on my team. My Blaziken and Swamper we're both female.

In Black I actually really wanted my Snivy to be a female. Only had to try a couple times for that. Funny enough, my 2 best friends both picked the other 2 starters, and they both got females their first try.

Oh yeah, and at one point I did a solo-mon challenge get run with Blastoise, and it happened to be female.

Also, I'll add this since it's technically a starter, when I played XD Gale of Darkness, I wanted my Eevee to be a female Espeon. I reset that game and watched that horrible opening cutscene So. Many. Times.

Mewfortytwo

Reaction score
First time I started Ultra Sun, got a female Litten that I named Spice. Unfortunately I wasn't entirely happy with my own name so I restarted the game. Then in Platinum I got a female Piplup, but that cartridge turned out to be counterfeit so I didn't play much of it (because you can't safely transfer pokemon from them).

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
It's happened a couple of times. Usually without me even trying or realizing it. One example was my Fennekin in my first playthrough of Y. Got her on the first try and named her Nina (after Breath of Fire's Nina, as one of Nina's meanings is "fire"). I also tend to get lucky in Gen VII when I want a female Popplio, as it often happens on the first try (and I always name her Mero after... Monster Musume's mermaid sheepish chuckle ). And, at one point in Diamond I ended up with a female Turtwig without even realizing it (good thing I named her the gender neutral name of Terra, as I didn't even notice her gender until after Jubilife City... talk about failing a spot check...).

dig

triotriotrio
Reaction score
Yes. Roughly 12.5% of the time.

XGalactic_DragonX

Reaction score
I was Nuzlocking Platinum and my Piplup was female. And while soft resetting Heartgold for a shiny starter I got a shiny, female Chikorita.

Ares

Reaction score
A few times, yeah. Most recent one being Eevee from Let’s Go.

Arylett Charnoa

Unknown Expression
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to restart constantly for female starters. I still do for certain ones. (Like for a Braixen.) I got lucky with a female Treeko, Chimchar, and Popplio in the past as well. Usually, I get a little excited when it happens randomly, because it's rare.

Aulos

Winds <3
Reaction score
I got a female Popplio right off the bat when I got Sun. That was exciting! Otherwise, I've had some over the years, but I don't think many of them I got without trading. I remember getting a female Squirtle in FireRed, but I think it was when I restarted the game.

Meta Boss

Gym Leader
Reaction score
I remember my first playthrough of White 2, I got a female Oshawott, and just kept it. However, this is the exception.

Usually, I will always try to have a fully male team (with the exception of genderless Pokémon like Metagross, of course).

I just don't feel comfortable using female Pokémon in battles, for some reason. I don't really care about the gender of my Pokémon for Contests, and similar non-battle-related side activities, but for battles, I try to use male/genderless Pokémon only.

Last edited:

Cattechu

The Cat ripoff
Reaction score
As of right now I only have my Delphox named Rosemary in my X game.
I have ran in into a lot of female Popplio though since i'm trying to get a shiny one via soft resetting, I also got a female Litten once but then soft restarted because I decided I wanted Rowlet as my starter instead for a file.

lordfridge

Good Hunter
Reaction score
A lot of people are reporting they got female Alolan starters. Are we sure the 12.5% thing is still accurate in this gen?