• Do you use Discord? Do you like catching Pokémon? Have you heard of Elaria? If you answered yes to the first two, you should give it a go! Professor Tilia is always looking for new people to help fill her Living Dex!

It just so happens she is hosting an event right now, where you could even get your own Pokémon form added into the game! Details can be found over in the Elaria discord server, right here
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • What happened to the Pokemon GO section?

Hey all! We wanted to let everyone know that the Pokemon GO section has officially been merged into the Pokemon Video Games section. You can find more information in this thread.

• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Have you ever had a female starter?

Reaction score
A lot of people are reporting they got female Alolan starters. Are we sure the 12.5% thing is still accurate in this gen?
Yes, it is. I guess they are either lucky, or just from repeated playthroughs.

Informed Casual
Reaction score
My first ever starter was female without me realizing it.

Pokemon Red. 1998. Picked Squirtle and named it Angela. Years later transferred the now-Blastoise to Gold, only to find out it was a female the whole time! For a long time, I thought there might have been some kind of programming trick that saw I gave it a girl's name, but now I'm pretty sure it was just serendipitous :)

Also got a female Snivy for the first time in White 2 - named it Bronzelle after the bronze serpent in the Bible. She's in my Moon box right now.

Soft-reset for the Female Eevee in Let's Go because of its unique tail markings and so that I could name it Evangeline.

Call of Fate
Reaction score
I think my first starter ever, Squirtle, was female. I also remember getting female Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig and Oshawott.

Cool cat
Reaction score
Not that I remember. In fact, I have received a shiny starter (Tepig) before I have ever recieved a female one

ᴅʀɪꜰᴛɪɴɢ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴀ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ
Reaction score
More often than not they were male, but not like I really cared enough to soft-reset for a female starter. But I have gotten them in the past, yes.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
I've softresetted for a female Popplio in Sun.

And there's the female Pikachu in LGPE, but I don't count that one.

Reaction score
yes i have :3.... well, except for pokemon yellow, red & blue... & some other situations, such as frillish in my next copy of pokemon y

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes i have :3.... well, except for pokemon yellow, red & blue... some other situations, such as frillish in my next copy of pokemon y
Were you using a randomizer to get a Frillish as a starter?

Goodnight, to all the astray children.
Reaction score
Yep, my female Treecko in Emerald, Haruna. I wasn't soft resetting for it and was pretty surprised.
Sadly, my DS died halfway through saving, and the save file Haruna lived in was erased. >:/

DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER.

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
The very first time I attempted to play Diamond, I wound up with a Female Piplup. I then deleted the save file for a Chimchar because I cannot leave the Fire Mafia.

My girlfriend on the other hand apparently didn't know that there was a male leaning tilt to the gender ratio for starters. Because she gets female starters quite often. Hell, during a play through of one of the games she ended up giving her Bulbasaur my name because she got a girl. xD My girlfriend is blessed with some kind of magic luck.

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
There's been several times throughout my plays where I've gotten female starters. Though not all of them I remember.

I'm pretty sure in my last playthrough of HeartGold I got a female Chikorita.

Informed Casual
Reaction score
Just got another one! Began Pokemon Black and got a female Oshawott. I've named her Maru-chan after the Japanese name (Mijumaru) but then realized it's also a ramen pun :p

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
I've had it happen a few times, only two times where it happened when I first started the game. On a restarted playthrough of Pokemon White 2, I got a female Snivy right off the bat.

But my most memorable was my female Cyndaquil in Pokemon Crystal. I had never played a Pokemon game before this, and I knew very little about Pokemon at the time. I had no idea the low chance for a female starter was a thing. When I later learned that my Piper had a very rare chance to be a girl, I was blown away that my first time ever playing a Pokemon game, I got the uncommon female starter.

(◔_◔)
Reaction score
I got a female Oshawott as my White 2 Starter, which I wasn't happy with since Samurott looks so masculine.

You are beautiful to me, exile
Reaction score
I think I my Chimchar in one of my Platinum runs was female, but I think that was on purpose so I could breed it and trade the offspring for the other 2 sinnoh starters.

Reaction score
If we're talking about the beginning of the game, then I actually happen to get female starters very often. I would say just as close as the 50% of the times.