• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever had a female starter?

A couple of times, but I have played through so many times that I was bound to get a few. Oddly, I don't really notice when it happens, I notice afterwards when I am breeding and trying to get Egg Moves or Natures.

My Charmander in X, who I nicknamed Iris, has been the only time. I've yet to nail a female at the start of the game.

I believe my first ever female starter was my Torchic in my (now long gone) Emerald game. My Snivy in Black 2 was also female, and my most recent was my Eevee in Let's Go Eevee. I never soft reset for female starters or anything since I really don't care; every other starter I've ever had has been male.

My starter in Emerald was a female Treecko. I bred her once (so I could transfer the child to HGSS) and, oddly, the child was also female.

In Let's Go my Eevee starter is also a female.

For Moon version, I tried resettinng to get a shiny Rowlet.
After a few attempts, I gave up because the cutscenes were too long and settled with a female one.

My first play of Ruby I did some trading so I had all 3 starters on my team. My Blaziken and Swamper we're both female.

In Black I actually really wanted my Snivy to be a female. Only had to try a couple times for that. Funny enough, my 2 best friends both picked the other 2 starters, and they both got females their first try.

Oh yeah, and at one point I did a solo-mon challenge get run with Blastoise, and it happened to be female.

Also, I'll add this since it's technically a starter, when I played XD Gale of Darkness, I wanted my Eevee to be a female Espeon. I reset that game and watched that horrible opening cutscene So. Many. Times.

First time I started Ultra Sun, got a female Litten that I named Spice. Unfortunately I wasn't entirely happy with my own name so I restarted the game. Then in Platinum I got a female Piplup, but that cartridge turned out to be counterfeit so I didn't play much of it (because you can't safely transfer pokemon from them).

It's happened a couple of times. Usually without me even trying or realizing it. One example was my Fennekin in my first playthrough of Y. Got her on the first try and named her Nina (after Breath of Fire's Nina, as one of Nina's meanings is "fire"). I also tend to get lucky in Gen VII when I want a female Popplio, as it often happens on the first try (and I always name her Mero after... Monster Musume's mermaid sheepish chuckle ). And, at one point in Diamond I ended up with a female Turtwig without even realizing it (good thing I named her the gender neutral name of Terra, as I didn't even notice her gender until after Jubilife City... talk about failing a spot check...).

I was Nuzlocking Platinum and my Piplup was female. And while soft resetting Heartgold for a shiny starter I got a shiny, female Chikorita.

I got a female Popplio right off the bat when I got Sun. That was exciting! Otherwise, I've had some over the years, but I don't think many of them I got without trading. I remember getting a female Squirtle in FireRed, but I think it was when I restarted the game.

I remember my first playthrough of White 2, I got a female Oshawott, and just kept it. However, this is the exception.

Usually, I will always try to have a fully male team (with the exception of genderless Pokémon like Metagross, of course).

I just don't feel comfortable using female Pokémon in battles, for some reason. I don't really care about the gender of my Pokémon for Contests, and similar non-battle-related side activities, but for battles, I try to use male/genderless Pokémon only.

Last edited:
As of right now I only have my Delphox named Rosemary in my X game.
I have ran in into a lot of female Popplio though since i'm trying to get a shiny one via soft resetting, I also got a female Litten once but then soft restarted because I decided I wanted Rowlet as my starter instead for a file.

A lot of people are reporting they got female Alolan starters. Are we sure the 12.5% thing is still accurate in this gen?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom