• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever had a female starter?

My first ever starter was female without me realizing it.

Pokemon Red. 1998. Picked Squirtle and named it Angela. Years later transferred the now-Blastoise to Gold, only to find out it was a female the whole time! For a long time, I thought there might have been some kind of programming trick that saw I gave it a girl's name, but now I'm pretty sure it was just serendipitous :)

Also got a female Snivy for the first time in White 2 - named it Bronzelle after the bronze serpent in the Bible. She's in my Moon box right now.

Soft-reset for the Female Eevee in Let's Go because of its unique tail markings and so that I could name it Evangeline.

I think my first starter ever, Squirtle, was female. I also remember getting female Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig and Oshawott.

I've softresetted for a female Popplio in Sun.

And there's the female Pikachu in LGPE, but I don't count that one.

yes i have :3.... well, except for pokemon yellow, red & blue... & some other situations, such as frillish in my next copy of pokemon y

Last edited:
Yep, my female Treecko in Emerald, Haruna. I wasn't soft resetting for it and was pretty surprised.
Sadly, my DS died halfway through saving, and the save file Haruna lived in was erased. >:/

DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER.

The very first time I attempted to play Diamond, I wound up with a Female Piplup. I then deleted the save file for a Chimchar because I cannot leave the Fire Mafia.

My girlfriend on the other hand apparently didn't know that there was a male leaning tilt to the gender ratio for starters. Because she gets female starters quite often. Hell, during a play through of one of the games she ended up giving her Bulbasaur my name because she got a girl. xD My girlfriend is blessed with some kind of magic luck.

There's been several times throughout my plays where I've gotten female starters. Though not all of them I remember.

I'm pretty sure in my last playthrough of HeartGold I got a female Chikorita.

I've had it happen a few times, only two times where it happened when I first started the game. On a restarted playthrough of Pokemon White 2, I got a female Snivy right off the bat.

But my most memorable was my female Cyndaquil in Pokemon Crystal. I had never played a Pokemon game before this, and I knew very little about Pokemon at the time. I had no idea the low chance for a female starter was a thing. When I later learned that my Piper had a very rare chance to be a girl, I was blown away that my first time ever playing a Pokemon game, I got the uncommon female starter.

I got a female Oshawott as my White 2 Starter, which I wasn't happy with since Samurott looks so masculine.

I think I my Chimchar in one of my Platinum runs was female, but I think that was on purpose so I could breed it and trade the offspring for the other 2 sinnoh starters.

If we're talking about the beginning of the game, then I actually happen to get female starters very often. I would say just as close as the 50% of the times.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom