• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever hated a Poke`mon then loved it later?

BBH

Becca Beetem
Reaction score
I've had so many instances where I've hated a Poke`mon, but then I needed it on my team for something or whatever and then I fell in love with it.

I used to really hate Grimer and Muk, but now I absolutely adore them

Every time a new generation comes out, I scoff at and hate every single new pokemon.

But once I buy the game, I get to know and love every one.

Emolga. When I first saw it I dismissed it as "ugh another Pikachu-remake." Later on when I had the game, though, I caught one, and now I think it's one of the cutest Pokemon ever. I loved using mine in the story mode of Black version.

I used to despise some legendaries like Deoxys, Jirachi, Mew, Celebi etc. that you could only get via events. But now that Wifi giveaways exist, I really like them

(Manaphy will always be special because that was the first event-only Pokemon I ever got without a Game Shark/Action Replay thanks to the PKMN Ranger downloadable event)

Makuhita/Hariyama looked awful at first, but I once caught an adamant one, and I raised it, I've grown to love the chubby little sumo.

There's a lot of Pokémon that I used to hate and now love... the most notable example would be Sunflora. XD

I used to hate Emboar, then I used it and really liked it.

And I was also one of those who despised the Vanillite-line when it was revealed, but I gradually warmed to it.

I hated volcarona, I never used fire/bug types EVER. but then Laversta hatched, love has never been sweeter.

I really hated Ferrothorn, for just being so annoying to take down. Now, I love him for the same reason.

I used to hate Luxray just based on the anime, but when I had one on my team in Pt, I fell in love <3
Most recently would be Druddigon. Hated it because it's design and name were just ugh, but after training it up a little, I once again, fell in love lol

I tend to fall in love with, or gain tolerance of Pokemon I previously hated once I train them a bit.

Wasn't really fond of the Nido's till later.

I used to love Flareon, but now I see it as the worst eveelution

Almost all of my favorite pokemon are ones I used to hate (Except Gorebyss, I've always adored that pokemon.).
For Instance, I used to hate Mawile but then I discovered he's a pretty efficient Baton Passer, also DW Mawile is AWESOME.
I used to hate Swalot, but he actually works as a really good Poison Wall. Also look at him, he just radiates coolness.
I used to think Masquerain was one of the greatest bug disappointments(especially with Surskit's Water/Bug potential), however I built a Masquerain Strategy team and now he's one of the scariest pokemon I have.
Cradilly always used to feel useless to me... until I discovered his usage as a Wall... then my whole understanding of competitive play was changed, and Cradilly to this day stands as my favorite wall pokemon of all time.

So yes, I think it's very common to hate a pokemon and then fall in love with it. The reason I believe is because when people think a pokemon "sucks", it's just because they don't know how to use that pokemon, but once they study as to how the pokemon works and what it specializes in, suddenly that not so great pokemon... turns into a weapon of mass destruction.

I used to hate Lilipups; I only caught one as it was the only Pokemon appearing in the grass at the start of Route 1 than Patrat for me.

However, as I begun to train it, I discovered that I loved it and its evolutions.

Cobalion and Virizion. Since I'm inherently biased against legendaries and pseudo-legends, I immediately took offence to their legendary status, unusual colour schemes and weird "boots". Eventually their elegance won me over, and I like both of them now.

I used to hate Durant because they were effing annoying that they appeared too many times.

Now I absolutely love this thing, because I realized its full potential as an invaluable sweeper on my team.

The only Pokemon I ever truly hated was Bibarel, and that hasn't changed...

But I know Kingdra went from one of my least favorite Dragons to one of my all-time favorites after I bred one that kicked serious Poke-behind as a physical sweeper. I also once heavily favored Scizor over Steelix, but my affections toward Steelix increased until I liked Scizor only slightly more.

EDIT: And I used to dislike the Kami trio for being pallete swaps... now they and the Creation Trio are my favorite legendary trios.

I used to hate Weezing, until one saved me in a Nuzlocke. I never realised how bulky it was until that moment.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom