• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

Groudon

User Title
Reaction score
I quit a while after Black and White came out.I came back to the series because no other franchise gave me the same level of enjoyment that Pokemon has.

I had ever quited Pokemon shortly after finishing my primary school's life, but I came back because of influences by friends in secondary school. I also learned some Japanese words (such as Japanese Pokemon names) from this franchise. (I first learned Japanese words from Japanese motorsports videos) As of these, I'm now more capable of reading Japanese texts.

I quit Pokemon for a while after High School. This was mainly because I believed people would make fun of me for playing it at my age and I didnt want that, becuase I was already made fun of a lot. I didnt know there were sites like this with people my age and older that still enjoyed Pokemon, and I had no friends and knew no one still interested in it. I still did like Pokemon though. After a while I had an urge to play Pokemon again and dug out Pokemon Gold. I continued playing the older games after that and eventually discovered this and other Pokemon sites. I dont plan on quitting again. I no longer care what anyone thinks of me playing.

I had to quit watching the anime for about 3 years when they moved it from local channel to Cartoon Network (at the time I had basic cable and CN was not part of it - eventually my family ended up getting DirecTV at the time and I picked up again - missed out on Hoenn - now my family has Dish Net, I don't care about it, I watch cartoons online).... apart from that I will never quit watching anime or playing the games.

Yes. Ten-and-something years ago there was a big boom about Pokémon and everyone was watching, collecting stickers etc. Most kids in here didn´t know about the games and somewhere about Johto League this all subsided. I didn´t have internet that time and all my friend went into puberty and thought that Pokémon is too childlish and pathetic to follow, so I somehow lost the touch with the franchise.
Last year I remembered this all and looked in google, if there are more than 251 Pokémon, I stared in awe at next three generations and fell into it again :)

I stopped keeping interest in pokemon after RSE because the time between RSE and DP felt pretty long, and the fact a new console was needed to play DP made me quit pokemon for a while. I occasionally watched the anime when I surfed the channel and it happened to air.

I came back around the release of Platinum or so. A friend lent me her game and I had fun playing it. Generation 4 really got me back on track that I found my interest in pokemon again.

The only time I deliberately quit was in the fall of 2001, during my sophomore year of high school, because I wanted people to like me. I'd never had any real friends throughout my entire public schooling experience, and the fact that I was in high school and still liked Pokémon wasn't really helping. So I made it look like I didn't care about Pokémon anymore, or any of the geeky things I liked, and my idiot classmates quickly accepted me into their fold. A few weeks later, I realized I was denying my individuality for the sake of impressing a bunch of assholes I never liked anyway, so I told them to piss off and went back to my fandom.

But then just a few months later in January 2002, I began to gravitate away from Pokémon naturally. Specifically the anime - I was getting bored with the monotony of the Jouto saga, and stopped going out of my way to catch new episodes. Plus, I was becoming a really big Simpsons fan, so I felt like my tastes in animated TV programming were maturing, and a kids' show like Pokémon didn't fit with that. That's what prompted me to create this big elaborate fanfiction project that I called "Pokémon Intensity", which was basically a grouchy, cynical, sitcom-style reimagining of the anime with swearing and sex jokes. I deliberately eschewed the adventurous tone of the anime (and actually took a lot of pot-shots at it) because I felt like my version was "right" and the anime was wrong. Amazingly, even though I got back into Pokémon in earnest in 2003 when Ruby and Sapphire came out, it took me until 2007 to finally put this fucking awful fanfic in the trash where it belonged.

I never intentionally quit, but I did naturally grow out of it around 8th grade/high school, so Silver was the last game I had played. I stopped watching the anime around the same time. Over the years I caught wind of Gen 3, but Gens 4 and 5 went right by my radar, so I was a bit overwhelmed when I found out there were over 600 Pokemon. The additional 100 added in Gen 2 had already annoyed me lol. I don't know what made me revisit Pokemon, but I picked up White back in October and really enjoyed it (new Pokemon and all). From there I played SS since I loved the original Silver so much. I have to say I'm really enjoying the new games, which is really saying something because I almost always prefer the original of anything.

The anime on the other hand, not so much. Finding out Misty left pissed me off, but finding out that Ash was still 10 broke my heart. That's not what I was expecting for the anime.

I was really into the anime when I was a kid, but I quit it the moment they changed the voice actors. It was like they were kicking my childhood in the shins by changing the voice actors.

The games, on the other hand, I tend to play for ages and then take a break because, like you said, the enjoyment wears off. But I do wind up replaying them a few months later.

Shamefully so, when I was like 12, because kids are cruel and used to bully me, but thanks to martial arts training, I got confident on myself, so I was able to go back, despite what everyone thought of it.

I never cared a whole lot what other kids thought of me --heck, when it first became popular I was the only girl in my school who even played and that made me cool for about 15 minutes. After that, eh...it's just a game, and if other people don't like it then they obviously need to find a hobby that makes them as happy as Pokemon makes me. The only time I ever quit the game was after Gen III....I hated those games. Picked it right back up when Gen IV came out :]

i didnt quit, i just stopped for a month to play some new ds games i got. i would never quit pokemon if my life depended on it. this was my childhood and is my future :D

Shamefully so, when I was like 12, because kids are cruel and used to bully me, but thanks to martial arts training, I got confident on myself, so I was able to go back, despite what everyone thought of it.

This always happens with Pokemon. Oh, you're all having fun as 8 year olds pretending to be Charmander and getting annoyed at that one kid that always wants to be fuggin Mewtwo, then BAM. Everyone hates it and you're a terrible, terrible child if you even mention pokemon.

And then when you get a bit older, everyone turns around and loves it again. I was going to murder someone when I found out the new class fad was PokeMMO. Started by the same kids that would give everyone else shit about it.
Solution was simple enough. Join the bandwagon and absolutely kill them.

Ahem. Anyways...

I have never "quit" pokemon as such. I get preoccupied with other things, but the game is always in one of my DS's, ready to be played.

I think the biggest break I took from pokemon is only for a couple of months or so, but only because another fandom had my attention.

This always happens with Pokemon. Oh, you're all having fun as 8 year olds pretending to be Charmander and getting annoyed at that one kid that always wants to be fuggin Mewtwo, then BAM. Everyone hates it and you're a terrible, terrible child if you even mention pokemon.

And then when you get a bit older, everyone turns around and loves it again. I was going to murder someone when I found out the new class fad was PokeMMO. Started by the same kids that would give everyone else shit about it.
Solution was simple enough. Join the bandwagon and absolutely kill them.

Ahem. Anyways...

I have never "quit" pokemon as such. I get preoccupied with other things, but the game is always in one of my DS's, ready to be played.

I think the biggest break I took from pokemon is only for a couple of months or so, but only because another fandom had my attention.

I think you were the reason I got back into Pokemon, because I mentioned going on Pokemon Crater and BAM. FRENDZ 4 LYF.
But that was around year 8, it must have been. So, from years 7 to about 9, Pokemon is seen as not good and if you like it, like it's face-the-other-way-you're-putting-me-off-you're-lowering-the-IQ-of-the-whole-street kind of terrible.

I quit after GSC, although not intentionally. I guess Pokemon lost its popularity in the UK after then, I didnt catch the anime either. When RSE came out I was in secondary school and being in an all girls school, it was never mentioned. In 2009 my boyfriend at the time got me a DS for christmas, with some god awful game. I was looking on amazon at games and saw Pokemon: Platinum. I didnt even realize that pokemon was still going. SO I got the game, and have been re-hooked ever since.

Its a good job to, if it wasn't for playing Pokemon and using Pokemon forums, I wouldn't really do anything apart from work...

I quit halfway through D/P for about a year. I can't actually remember what brought me back. (Whatever it was, it caused me to join these forums!)

The only time I ever really quit... well, I guess you could say there were two times?

The first was after I had beaten the heck out of SoulSilver and got really bored from attempting to breed for specific natures. I didn't stop liking the series, I just stopped playing until Black and White came out.

And then I quit after I beat White. Above scenario. Bored as heck, and didn't even get more than 200 entries in my National Dex.

And I'm back with Black 2. 589 entries later, I'm still going strong. Heck, I even reopened these forums.

I quit it a few years ago. It wasn't intentional, it just...happened. I became preoccupied with other things, such as Battle B-Daman and YGO, and I was too young to use forums so I didn't have anybody to talk to, and my interest just faded, and went. It's normal to lose interest in something for a while, I think.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom