• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

I wouldn't say quit but I have definitely stopped playing for a couple of months before due to probably wanting to take a break or because I got bored. Either way I still love Pokémon and will still keep playing it until the wheels fall off and it can't ride anymore which will probably be a long time from here.

Last edited:
i've never quit the game series, i've taken breaks from playing them for some periods of time but i never lost intrest in the pokemon games.
the pokemon anime however i did quit, and i stoped around the time Misty left the series..and no that's not why i stoped watching, i just got older and started feeling like the anime was too ....can't find the words to describe but i felt like i was too old for it..but i never felt too old for the game series.

I did "quit" once, I think it was sometime in 2005/2006, when the anime stopped airing here. I began playing again in 2009 when Platinum was released.
I also took a short break from playing between the realease of BW and BW2. I love pokemon though, so I don't see me quitting anytime soon.

Yep, I kind of lost interest for many years around late Johto/Gen II. I did borrow and play the Gen III games in that time, but they didn't get me back into the franchise as I found them disappointing.

Funnily enough even though I didn't like the Hoenn games, it was the Hoenn saga of the anime that really got me back into the franchise again. I decided on a whim to watch it through in early 2010 and absolutely loved it. Getting a DS and all the DS titles pretty much sealed the deal, especially with all the excitement of the Gen V release in that same year.

I quit for a few years after some time playing the Platinum. I didn't played Gen V til B2W2. So this whole BW thing is so new to me.

I wouldn't say I quit playing pokemon and I plan on not quitting but I did stop playing it for a while

I don't think I ever truly quit Pokemon. I did have to stop playing the games last month, but i don't think that counts since it was against my will. And it was because I got in trouble for not finishing my book reports (but I made up for it last week).

I don't think that I ever quit Pokemon. I didn't lose interest in either the games or the anime. I got interested in other shows, like Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I didn't stop playing the games or watching the anime. Even with people making fun of me for enjoying Pokemon, I didn't consider dropping it in favor of getting into whatever was popular with them. I didn't see the appeal of doing something I really didn't want to do or the appeal of trying to be accepted by people who treated me like dirt anyway. I just didn't showcase my interest after awhile and pretended that I didn't care about it, which was easier to do. I just never felt bored enough with either the games or the anime to drop the franchise completely.

For me, it was about a decade.

In 2001, I was about halfway through Crystal when I found about RS. Being a 13 year old with very limited allowance, I didn't want to save up all that money just to buy a GBA and a copy of a game. Plus, when I read that the Pokemon from the Gen I and II games were incompatible with Gen III and that RS would only have some of the Pokedex available, I decided to quit. Why leave all the Pokemon I raised lovingly in Silver? And, most of all, why play a Pokemon game where many of the older ones weren't even available without hacking? (this was way before FRLG were announced) Gen III seemed like a step back from Gen II in all areas to me. I also thought I was growing too old for the franchise, starting junior high and all.

However, during that decade off I still had some bile fascination, if you will. I checked some fansites once in a while just to see all the new Pokemon from Gens III and IV. With the advent of Youtube, I watched game videos and listened to music. I even eventually caught up with all the movies, with the better animation and legendaries and all. I always loved the Legendary Birds and some of the Internet memes, and did buy a little bit of merchandise when I was an undergrad in the late 00s. Some of my college mates treated it fondly, and many people participated in the first annual Pokemon Profile Pic Month on Facebook in 2009. Pokemon, to me back then, was something from my past that "would always hold a special place in my heart," but not something that I would actively be involved in again.

Besides, by that time, I realized that Gen IV piggybacked off of Gen III and I missed a ton of events, so I would be way behind on stuff if I ever got back into the fandom.

Then Black and White were announced in spring 2010...

I had found out about Gen V when a high school mate posted the reveal of Zorua and Zoroark on another friend's Facebook wall. After raging and thinking that the franchise "sold out," I still had the bile fascination to look into what they were releasing. Then I read that BW were going to be more story intensive and a fresh start.

Hmmmmm, I thought. Maybe I should actually play the games again if they're semi-rebooting everything. I then decided to buy a DS in time for BW's US release. Then I looked into HGSS, because Gen II was my favorite gen at the time. I realized that HGSS took the first Pokemon games I ever played and made them BETTER, including making my favorite Pokemon available in the wild and all the extra features. I decided to buy HeartGold and a used DS just in time to get Mew in fall 2010.

After playing Gen V, I don't regret my decision. I'm a bigger Pokemon fan now than I was in middle school. I've gone to cons and other events meeting likeminded fans. Anime-wise, I still stick to the movies, but I wanna watch a few choice episodes and the upcoming saga looks awesome. The TCG is what got me into the franchise, but I haven't bought any cards in years and only get promos to add in my binder. I am building up a little plush collection, though.

I wouldn't say "quit" but I was in several situations where I couldn't play the newer games because I didn't have a certain system. Such as I couldn't play any gen 3 games cause I didn't have a GBA till 2005. Neither could I fully play Diamond and Pearl till 2010 cause I didn't have a DS of my own. I would still paly older games but I felt left out cause I couldn't play the current ones.

I have a month after BW2 came out, then came back in about a week ago. I just didn't have the time for it anymore

After I lost my Game Boy Advanced I pretty much quit Pokémon for a couple of years until I really, really wanted to get into it again. After looking things up again I saw that I had completely missed the release of GenIV So I bought a DSi and Platinum and never looked back after that. Sometimes I don't play for a while, but never for too long. I don't think I will ever quit these games as long as they make them, and even then I'll just keep playing the old ones.

I quit like after gold/silver because I just lost interest. That and I was heavy into street fighter/tekken and never got around to purchasing the Hoenn/Sinnoh games

lots of cool looking pokemon though in those areas, no doubt

I did quit the anime sometime around Advanved, and got back into it once Diamond and Pearl was first announced and when I got Diamond for the DS. I haven't quit since them but I usually stop playing the main games after a while once I beat the main story.

yeah i did for ages i was obssesed with pokemon consistenly till around 2009 i think thats when i sold my pokemon diamond and emerald to help buy an xbox 360. i also stopped buying cards going to pokemon card tournamnets and watching the anime altogether partly because i lost the channel they were shown one. i went 3 years without even thinking about pokemon, I was obsessed with comic book heros (mainly batman) for most of that time but now im back into watching the poke anime once again and of course addicted to the games, Im watching BW every week and re-watching MQ at the moment.

I've never really properly quit Pokémon, but I've taken breaks, especially when I got obsessed with other games (like Ace Attorney...). But whenever there's a new Pokémon game coming out, or an event, or my little brother is watching new episodes of the anime and makes me watch them with him, it always gets me back into it. Yeah, I don't think I'll quit for another few years at least.

I won't say I quit the franchise as much as I am phased out of it, since other interests gradually took over. That was during the time when Generation 3 was beginning, since I thought of Pokemon as a shallow game series. However, what got me back was when I found out how deep the gameplay of the series is, even having competitive battling (something I thought was not possible because people could just switch back and forth to no end). I have a feeling that I will phase out at one time, although it's probably not in the near future.

Thanks for reading.

No, actually. I mean, my interest in it has waned several times over the years, but I've never fully quit.

I did for a couple of years, because my mother was putting a lot of pressure on me. Made me get rid of almost all of my cards and merch...man, I'm still mad about that...

But I missed out on Ruby & Sapphire, and almost missed Diamond and Pearl. I'm back, pretty much full-swing, though I don't talk about it too much, because nobody I know really knows/understands/cares, lol, but no more hatin'. Just bought myself a new Pokedoll. *slaps hand* Bad.

Yeah, in 3rd grade. I kinda forgot about my Pokemon cards and such. :sweatlol:

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom