• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

I go through phases of being more, then less, interested in it, but I've never actually quit.

I never really quit the games, although there was a bit of a lull in activity during Gen III. Not that I didn't like that Gen, mind you but my interest waned slightly. It came back with Diamond and Pearl and with the Fifith Gen..... Hey, I have a pair of all time faves now. You better believe I'm not quitting anytime soon!

I have quit the anime--I stopped watching full time right after Advanced Gen. My work schedule didn't allow me any time to watch and I just wasn't enjoying the show as much. I'm just now really getting back into it as a lot of the B&W eps are on my CN OnDemand service so I don't miss anything.

I've never quit per se, but due to many reasons, I've stopped playing the games for some periods, ranging from a few weeks to even years.
I had regularly played Pokémon since I got Emerald for my tenth birthday (what a coincidence!), but I know about the franchise since I was a little kid. I had watched the anime until then, but I had never played the games. However, I started to get bored from playing after I couldn't find a picture of Manaphy or something like that in Platinum; it was the last Pokémon left for watching on my Dex. I really wanted to complete it so I could transfer my Pokémon from Emerald and FireRed to Platinum. Also, I accidentally dropped my DS while I was walking on the street, and it was seriously damaged, so I stopped playing for about a year and a half or even two, I don't remember that very well :S
I kept watching the anime, until the voices started to change in my country. Then I lost the track of it because the timeslots changed in Cartoon Network. In 2009 or 2010 I began to read the manga, in MangaFox, but it was banned after a while, and I stopped reading it too :/
It was then when I learnt about HG/SS and later about B/W, but as my DS was broken I wouldn't be able to play them. I waited until my sister got a 3DS for Christmas 2011. We decided to share the console, and I bought White last year, and I just got White 2 :D...
So yeah, that's my long story.

I started playing Pokemon when I was...around 7 or so? It was when it first started becoming popular in the US.

From ages 13 to about 18 (maybe 19) I quit playing. Not because anyone bullied me for it, I just...lost interest, so I missed out on a lot of the sidegames and Generation IV. My brother was the one who got me back into it, so HGSS was my re-introduction into the series.

Yeah, when Generation III was released. I quited because I had no money to buy a Game Boy Advance.
But once I bought my first PC, I played the new games (RSE/FRLG) on an emulator... Unfortunately it wasn't very enjoyable. :[

Anyway, my love for the franchise was renewed when I bought my DS to play Diamond & Pearl. I love these games.

I quit for awhile after HeartGold and SoulSilver because I didn't even play the Diamond, Pearl and Platinum generation. And then I jumped right back in for Black and White.

I quit just before R/S came out, kinda around the time Crystal's popularity was fizzling out. One reason; Pokemon had become dead in my area. No one really liked it anymore (which, incidentally, I had introduced to the area when it first came out). Also, as I was getting made fun of a lot (which got a lot worse after I transferred to another school), I was too depressed to play much of anything anymore. I reentered it kinda on a whim, just playing Sapphire. Gen 3 allowed me to step back into it, with lots of cherished favorites. But for about a year I didn't play or collect anything from the Pokemon franchise anymore, especially since I became target practice to all the bullies in my new school. I will admit, games like Breath of Fire 3, Pokemon, and Ratchet and Clank helped me escape my crushing depression, and learning about these forums helped even more, as I now know I'm not the only game geek with a passion for, I guess you could say, "odd" games. Even though I'm now able to take things as they come more easily, I still kinda play in secret, mainly thanks to all those bullies who crushed every bit of confidence and self-esteem I had, so I guess it's kinda of a "hidden" game series to me. These forums helped me a lot, though I'm still shy and skittish, it helped me find those who were every bit as interested in such things as I was. But for about a year, give or take, I left the series. I still kinda fade in and out every so often, mainly thanks to games like FR/LG and HG/SS (I was starting to despise those regions), but Gen IV and V gave me the confidence boost I needed. Besides, I still get enjoyment of watching my favorite Pokemon do really well in battle, and the reward for raising them feels just as good, especially now that I actually have an idea of what I'm doing. But yeah, I left Pokemon once or twice, but somehow rewove myself back into it.

I just stopped playing for a while when I get bored every now and then. It happens time to time. But I'm playing it at the moment.

Yes. I was big into it when it first came out. I bought Red, then Blue shortly after, then Yellow when it came out. When Gen II came out I got Gold and Silver together the first day they were released. After that my interest kind of waned, I was advancing in high school, started driving, etc... I regrettably never bought Crystal. I still played the games on and off for the next couple years, but that pretty much ceased entirely in 2002-2003. Fast Forward to 2009, I was with a group of my friends and we somehow got to talking about Pokemon, and we decided that it'd be fun to have a competition. We all busted out our Gen I games, restarted them and had two weeks to get a team together, after which we would battle on Pokemon stadium. I lost the competition, but my love was reborn. I went out and bought a DS and Platinum, then Pearl and Diamond. I then purchased all of the Gen III games and I've been hooked ever since.

I quit the anime after Johto, and didn't watch Hoenn/ the BF/ or DP, until the final ten episodes of DP aired. Afterwards I quit Best Wishes and picked it up every now and then, but now I watch it every week in Japanese. The English dub I just can't stand.

As for games, I've never quit except for BW 1, but I picked up BW2 a few days after release.

Anime: Never. I was very, very close to doing so at several points: when Misty left the series (didn't like that), when they replaced all the main characters voices in the English dub (still don't like this move...show's felt so artificial to me since), when May/Max left (they grew on me, then they left...great) etc. in the anime's case. I've never really quit the anime, I guess, but I haven't been happy with the constant replacing of chars since Hoenn, the direction of the English dub since TPCi took over in BF, character chemistry in DP, the writing since BW, among other things. Still I watch the show only to find out how it ends and to have some fun when I can do so. Also because it's my childhood show and as much as I have barely been able to stand its guts in recent years, because I have a bond with the series that I can't seem to sever no matter what.

Games: Never. As for the games, never got into them until GSC. Eventually got RBY, liked em, and I've got most games since. Liked BW1, thought BW2 was cool, but oddly enough I am mixed on what I've seen of XY and the 3D layout so far. Games have left a better impression on me than the anime, though. I always feel more welcome playing them. XD.

Manga: Never got into it. Did like the RSE one, though. Red was cool, too.

TCG: I dropped out after Hoenn. I was only really into it in Kanto.

Last edited:
I never played the Gen III games. I had spent a lot of time on Gen II and was kinda bummed I couldn't trade my pokes over. I got Pearl a couple of months after it came out, played it for a bit but never finished it. I had also gotten Heart Gold, as Gold Version was the game I spent the most time on for Gen II. I recently restarted HG and played through the game, then I picked up White Version this weekend. So I am back into Pokemon again and super-excited for Gen VI, looking forward to raising up a Fennekin!

I was only watching the anime, and I stopped watching it sometime into the Hoenn episodes. And to be honest, I don't really know why I quit watching the show. Maybe I just got interested in other things. But I don't think I totally quit. I mean the show was still on my mind, and I never got rid of any of the stuff I collected from it.

Games: Never. Nothing's better than RSE, but that doesn't mean the later games are bad. XY looks good, though, but not RSE good.
Manga: Never read.
TCG: Wasn't that big into it.
Anime: Stopped watching religiously after Misty left (Gotta Catch Ya Later), only tuned in on occasion after the dub change (WTF were they thinking, IDK.). Never completely stopped, but am watching less and less.

When I first got into Yu-Gi-Oh back in 2001, I came close to quitting Pokemon in favor of it. I stopped watching the anime and playing games for a few months, but after awhile I went back to watching the anime and playing the games. I did have to catch up due to lost time though.

For the games? No. There have been a few days where I'll not play it since It either gets boring or I just want to watch TV or something.
I'm a newer fan, so I haven't really been able to give the TCG/Anime/Manga a chance, so I can't say for sure on those things. But the Games? No. Pokemon is my disease, lol, so I think the only time I will, so to say "quit" on it is when X/Y come out, because I probably won't be able to get the 3DS until Christmas or my birthday. =/ But other then that, I won't ever quit on Pokemon. ♥

When I first got into Yu-Gi-Oh back in 2001, I came close to quitting Pokemon in favor of it. I stopped watching the anime and playing games for a few months, but after awhile I went back to watching the anime and playing the games. I did have to catch up due to lost time though.

As a kid I watched them back-to-back simultaneously, but during that time I do remember thinking the same way. lol.

I did like YGO more at the time, actually.

Last edited:
Well, for a few years after Johto Journeys ended, I lost my taste for Pokemon.... until I got Pokemon Platinum for my birthday. That sparked me back to loving Pokemon, even though the original series will always be the best to me.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom