• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

^ That. I took a break from it for about a year (roughly around the time D/P were released). I don't think I could ever officially "quit". Even if I say I could, I know it wouldn't last. x3

Gen 4 made me quit, (at least until Gen 5,) despite the introduction of many powerful Pokemon, I really disliked a LOT of their designs.

Few exceptions include Dusknoir and the two Eevees. It took a very long time for the popular Lucario to grow on me too.

The legendaries on the other hand were brilliant, especially Darkrai, but man I couldn't even start the game properly since I didn't like any of the starters.

By the way, I raise Pokemon base on their looks lol, and to me, Gen 4 is by far the worst.

Kind of...
When I was a kid,I went crazy for Pokemon....

I became a adult and life is now very important to me right now so...sort of like mellowing down if you want to put it that way.

Nope, but I usually take a break to play other games for a while, then go back to Pokemon.

Nope. At most, there's been some periods of time where I pay attention to some of my other fandoms more. (Like how much I've been paying attention to Zatch Bell for the past half year.) But, above all, Pokemon's always been my number one top interest above all others ever since I got my first Pokemon game. I never cared for any of those sneering comments that go all "You like Pokemon?" because I've got enough friends that are into it that I can ignore it.

Gen 4 made me quit, (at least until Gen 5,) despite the introduction of many powerful Pokemon, I really disliked a LOT of their designs.

Few exceptions include Dusknoir and the two Eevees. It took a very long time for the popular Lucario to grow on me too.

The legendaries on the other hand were brilliant, especially Darkrai, but man I couldn't even start the game properly since I didn't like any of the starters.

By the way, I raise Pokemon base on their looks lol, and to me, Gen 4 is by far the worst.

Feel you fully on this one. Similar feelings myself.

Gen IV is honestly my least favorite gen, games, anime, and manga. Gen V gets a lot of flak for its designs etc., but it isn't my least favorite...Gen IV is. Don't know why that is...just didn't work for me. Granted I still got the games and such, but I got bored very quickly for some reason.

The anime...urgh, I...don't even want to list the complaints I have about DP. I couldn't stand Brock in this saga (he had his moments like in the Tag Battle Tournament; helping Autumn...but for the most part, he was shafted to such a great extent...so sad for me to watch), and why I felt Ash/Satoshi was dull as paint in personality here. xD.

Twice. The first time was my first playthrough of Silver. My Togetic reached level 100, and I didn't see any point in playing any more since nothing could give it a fair challenge. It wasn't until a several months later that I realized I could just restart the game.

The second time was in Emerald. I was in the basement of the S.S. Tidal, and ended up battling Sailors Phillip and Leonard back-to-back, and thought I was stuck because I was in the hallway and didn't realize that I could move down one space and leave. I didn't touch the game for a while after that.

After 3rd gen I lost interest and didn't play again until 5th gen was being hinted. I didn't really feel like I missed much since 4th gen didn't interest me much. Considering quitting again though.

I was in total retirement from pokemon and all other video games up until last october.......

When my cousin talked me into getting X/Y :/

I got interested when SoulSilver came out, dropped interest shortly afterwards (Chuck's gym was the main cause), and now am vividly interested once again.

There was a brief time in early middle school that I lost interest, but it soon came back in full force and has remained ever since, as is obvious by my still hanging around this forum after five years.

I wouldn't say I ever "quit", however a lot of times when I get into a new fandom, said new fandom will take over my free time and will distract me from the others. That's what happened when I got into Di Gi Charat back in 2010, it distracted me from Pokemon. Then My Little Pony distracted me from Di Gi Charat a few years later. During these distractions, I still would play a Pokemon game every once in a while and would still get the occasional piece of merchandise, but it was at a much slower rate than when I first got into Pokemon in late G3/early G4 when I was in my last year of elementary and my first year of Jr. High. Luckily, generation 6 has gotten me more into the Pokemon fandom again, and I've been working on giving all my fandoms an equal amount of attention instead of getting into one and ignoring the others.

But ever since I've been into Pokemon, I've loved it.

Roughly spring 2001 to early 2010.

Reasons for quitting probably included:
-the end of the publication of TopDeck, the official magazine of (former English-language Pokémon TCG publishers) Wizards of the Coast.
-overshadowing by other interests including pro wrestling, retro gaming and The Simpsons.

I don't think Gen 2 was to blame - I quite liked the new Pokémon.

Reasons for coming back probably included:
-hype for Black and White
-a vibrant online community

I never quit, I just played it a lot less during the Gen 5 era. And even then it was only because I was too lazy to EV train for competitive battling.

As jaded as I can be with Pokemon I have made sure to play at least 1 game of each gen, so no I have never quit.

Actually, yes. When Black and White came out, the Pokemon in that game (in my opinion) went downhill, and the games were repetitive and boring, with no new features, just the same battle styles, but...when X and Y came out, I actually got interested again! There were many new features, the animations have amazingly improved; there's the wonder trade, where you could get random Pokemon non-stop, even legendaries, and even Poke-amie. X and Y is the reason why I love Pokemon again. I've lost interest since Black and White for two years, without even watching the Anime, but when the new games came back, I've become interested again, enjoying the new features and it even inspired me to watch all of the older Pokemon episodes again. So I suppose you could say...I took a break?
I have to study Pokemon types again, though..after 2 years, you're bound to forget their weaknesses and some moves..

I never quit thinking about Pokemon, but my actual gaming time has dipped in activity since I pursue other interests, like the PS3 or anime or tumblr.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom