• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

As others may have said, I haven't really ever "quit", or else I wouldn't even be on these forums.
But i do tend to take breaks when a new game hasn't come out for a while. I took a break after Platinum, for example.
And I think it's actually a good thing that I DO take these breaks, because it allows me to "refresh" kind of. And, when I return to it, it gives me a new perspective. I start playing an I notice things I didn't notice before. Patterns... Ideas..
Although, sometimes when I take these breaks, I THINK I'm gonna quit it soon, but another game comes along and I'm back on it.

I sort of had a break from Pokemon during the gap between Diamond and Platinum, but by the time Platinum came out in 2009 I got back into it again. I actually properly quit in about April 2013 cause I was depressed and shit but by December I got back into it again, finally got X and then gradually over the last few months I've been getting more and more into the series again. I'm still not as big a fan as I was from 2010-12 but I'm close.

I almost quit after the second generation when I started picking up different games like grand theft auto and how there was a large delay between gen 2 and gen 3. It was almost a whole year but I got a GBA and bought Sapphire to try it out and now I'm back on the poketrain. I took a short break after gen 5 since I had college to worry about.

I almost did after playing Heartgold/Soulsilver. Least favorite pokemon games ever.

Then I played Black/White which are my favorite pokemon games ever. Now I'm as much of a fan as I was way back when it was super popular.

I sorta quit the anime 4 times, (the OS is pretty much the only completed series i have finished.), I still like the game section of the franchise.

-I quit during advance genration (2003) and came back around diamond and pearl (2007).
-After a few episodes, I quit DP around 2009 and did'nt come back to pokemon until 2011 when I heard that there was gonna be a new anime.
- I watched the Best wishes series, did'nt impress me and I quit for a year until mid 2012 of Best wishes when I came back.
-And after Best wishes, I watched a bit of XY and It did'nt impress me so I quit within 5 episodes, and still can't get into the series.

As for the games, I sorta like them, and the manga part is sorta good too.

Not quite. I've been on hiatus from Pokemon, and while I still pick up White or White 2 every so often, Pokemon just hasn't stayed with me as much as I wish it has. When I joined this forum I promised myself I would never quit Pokemon, but the times have changed. School has caught up with me, and now I find myself going weeks without playing Pokemon.
I was 10 years old when I first started playing, in 2010 when I got HeartGold for my birthday. Before that I had assumed Pokemon to be "stupid" and that seemed to be the general consensus. I played it obsessively, beating the Elite Four in a month and getting my first Level 100s within 4 months. After that I got Platinum. I had discovered Bulbapedia around the time I started playing, and joined the forum in February of 2011, as a fifth grader. For the next year I was all about Pokemon. I amassed quite a few posts, most of which are probably nonsensical (I'm pretty sure I started a fanfiction at one point).
I think it was the summer of 2012 when my interest in Pokemon dropped. I stopped posting as much, and my activity was sporadic at best for another year or so. If you look at my recent activity, my last post was June 14th, 2013, and in that year I probably made less than 100 posts.
When X and Y rolled around I found it hard to be enthusiastic about it. I'm not sure why, whether it was Fairy type, or the new graphics, or something else entirely. I opted not to get it, and actually still do not own a copy of X or Y.
Enter last month, the four year anniversary of when I discovered Pokemon. I finally take a look at the Pokemon Showdown simulator and give it a try. Slowly over the course of the last month I've been getting back into Pokemon. With the Gen IIImakes coming out in November, it looks like I'm going to be sucked into Pokemon again. I realize that my interest will never be the same as it once was, but one step at a time I guess.

I was starting to have a falling out around the time that I first started commenting on the forums, but that's over with now. I think X & Y really helped a lot in rekindling my interest in the series again, especially when Gen 5 did nothing for me in that regard.

I wouldn't call it quit but more of temporarily out of game. I stopped playing X & Y since January 2014. I got bored pretty quick but I enjoy watching NU/UU battles in youtube. That hasn't motivated me to go back though. I'll be back playing once the Gen III remakes come.

I was a very loyal fan from Generation 1 to Generation 3. Around 2005 or so, my interest in Pokemon gradually faded, since I was getting into Sonic (and still love Sonic just as much). I was playing Pokemon Emerald at the time, and I gradually began to play it less and less until I completely forgot about Pokemon.

A few years later, Super Smash Bros. Brawl got me curious about Generation 4, so I decided I would buy either Diamond or Pearl. Before I made my decision, Platinum was announced, so I decided to wait. Months later, I bought Platinum, and I instantly re-fell in love with the series. :love:

Then, I quit again. Generation 5 was pretty disappointing (and in retrospect, completely unneccessary), but I was keeping my fingers crossed for Ruby/Sapphire remakes, since I loved Heart Gold. When Generation 6 was announced, that was the nail in the coffin, and I refused to have anything to do with this new generation.

I quit for a while and deliberately kept away from anything Generation 6 related (which was easier than I thought), but today I found about the announcement for Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, which was made yesterday on the 7th. As much as I hate those names, I'm too thrilled by the news of the remakes to really care about the names.

It's ironic that I stumbled across this topic, since I'm coming back to Pokemon and this forum today. I haven't been here since last August.

Last edited:
Yeah, about 3 times I played Red when my brother played Blue, then I was allowed to play Yellow.
I then got Gold when he got silver but my parents decided he could have Crystal, being spoilt I vowed never to play Pokemon again, so this was first boycott and I stopped watching the anime too.

But then Ruby came out and I was back, I also went on to play FireRed and Emerald. And while I tried the anime I kept dropping in and out, I missed most of the middle.

I played Diamond while my brother played Pearl, he decided he didn't want Platinum so I got it and all was good, we then played HG(me) and SS (him) together, and he went off to have a family and so SS is the last game he ever played he now has a wife and kid. So I decided to end it there as it was the perfect end, I'd come full circle etc, finishing in Kanto. I watched the whole of DP series.

Then I hit a dark point in my life and everything was uncertain and I sort of fell back into Pokemon by playing Black, this time alone, no one played White, but it was a one off and I decided to re - retire. My younger brother who I had tried for ages to persuade Pokemon with us, especially with White, then decided to take an interest after watching me play Black and got himself Black2, seeing him play Black2 relit my passion and I watched him play it so I pretty much know the story.

When X/Y were announced we decided to both get one each, I was back again, I got X my younger brother got Y and we've still not finished them yet lol as we are busy.
Now I'm considering not getting the RSemakes so I could be about to quit again, but if my younger bro gets one I will probs get hooked back in again, or for the 3rd version, or Gen 7.

Although I never officially "quit," I did have a phase where I didn't really care about Pokémon anymore. But then that mall tour for Pokémon B/W really brought me back!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom