• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

have you ever sold a game back?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I personally have recently been downsizing my collection a lot, so it begs the question: have you ever sold a game back, whether it be gamestop, ebay, a retroshop, or craigslist.

I used to think "No way", but lately my health issues and now the pandemic has made income for me sparse, so I've had to find ways to make money if I want anything fun at all.

I think these are the games I have traded in:
Yoshi's Island DS (the one exception on this list, this was 12 years ago, I did it to get money for getting Pokemon Diamond. It was completely unheard of for me to trade a game in before this point lol)
New Super Mario Bros. U (came bundled with my Wii U, it was a boring game that I only booted up once. Easy sell)
Mario Tennis Aces
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Yes, I've traded games quite a number of times for store credit that I have didn't enjoy, either not enough to want to play through again or just didn't like at all, over the years. Usually, its trading a game in to Game Trader (which has now closed permanently) or Retro Game Trader for older used games and GameStop for the rarer times I buy a newer game that I want to trade in.

I sold my entire Vita collection (Vita + 4-6 games iirc) a couple of years ago to help pay for my PS4. Other than that, I've sold a few games that I've beaten and enjoyed but otherwise don't see myself replaying (OoT3D, Nier Automata, God of War, etc). As much as I loved them, I was a jobless student so I had to make some money back >>

Last edited:
There are definitely some games in the past that I've sold back, but they were mostly shovelware and licensed games that I accumulated during my childhood from Christmas presents and the like. I don't know if I've ever sold back any decent games, to be honest. I like having the option to play a lot of them, and I don't think I would get that much money back for them in the first place. I can't find my copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and I remember not liking that game, so maybe I've sold that one back somewhere down the line?

Nope. I buy every game with the intention of beating it, and usually always look at online reviews to decide if it's worth it. I also honestly am easy to please with video games, so pretty much everything I buy I like lol. Never needed to sell anything back to buy other things either, since I fortunately can afford things when they come out most of the time!

Super Nintendo to buy PS and PS to buy PS2, Lol. My PS2 died, then I couldn't sell it to buy the Wii or other thing. Neverthelles, I sold the very few original games I had.

Last edited:
only two games i remember selling back:

• dragon quest xi s (switch version): i remember putting some hours into the beginning of the game and i wasn't feeling it and lost motivation at some point. sold this back to gamestop. before anyone roasts me for this, i re-purchased it for pc a long while ago and beat it and had an absolute blast.
  • ni no kuni 2: renevant kingdom: genuinely tried to give this a chance and... i just couldn't. for whatever reason, i couldn't get into the gameplay, the battle system, the fact that there's this odd war system going on that i wasn't too familiar with... i kinda just went "yeah i'm not feeling this" and sold it back.

Fire Emblem Fates in order to get money to repair a car I had a few years back.

Spoilers : I have no cars anymore so this didn't matter much in the end lmao

Back
Top Bottom