• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever solo'd?

Have you ever solo'd?

• Gym Battles with one pokemon

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • The Pokemon League with one pokemon

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • The entire region with one pokemon for battles AND HMs

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • The entire region with one pokemon for battles, but used other pokemon for HM slaves

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • Never have solo'd

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters
I think basically any kid who's had a pokemon game has unintentionally soloed (strategy? What's that?)

Or maybe I was just a moron when I was 8. Yeah, I soloed Red with my Blastoise, and I remember it not obeying me more than once (due to it being above the current level threshold). I also remember having to use Struggle a bit in the Elite four.
But I did beat them (eventually), because I remember going to get Mewtwo (Master Ball!).

I probably soloed on Silver too, although I can't remember, Silver is pretty hazy for me, although I do remember choosing Totodile.

Still, I find it more fun having a whole team, although the idea of a Joey run (one Rattata) sounds intriguing.

The younger and less strategic Lugnut often found the concept of team building too much work, so as a result solo'd both Red, and Gold. Ahhh the gold old days.

I have historically done this very often, usually with the starting Pokémon, often due to me being too lazy to raise an entire team...

I have historically done this very often, usually with the starting Pokémon, often due to me being too lazy to raise an entire team...
I have to agree. I begun with Ruby, which was my first Pokémon game to play and Blaziken. Then Sceptile on Emerald. Infernape on Pearl until i caught Palkia.

I have solo'd before...back when I was very young and only trained my starter Pokemon. So yeah, there was around a 50 level difference between my starter Pokemon and the rest of my team when I went to the Indigo Plateau in Pokemon Red.

I should try solo-ing one of these days...it will definitely be fun...

I used to solo the Pokémon League with my Kyogre on Sapphire. Other than that, I've never cared too much to try it. I would try soloing with Reshiram on Black just for curiosity's sake, but the whole "Every single one of Marshal's Pokémon seems to know some kind of move which can one-hit KO him," has prevented me from doing so.

I've solo'd plenty of gyms before, though the only one that pops into my mind are misty and brock. Brock with any of the starters, and misty if I started with bulbasaur. I've solo'd other gyms as well I just can't remember which ones

I remember playing through Crystal with only Arcanine for battling, but using Totodile for Surf, Hoothoot for Fly, Sentret for Cut, Red Gyarados for Waterfall and Whirlpool, Hoppip for Flash, and Machop for Strength.

Last edited:
I've done plenty of Pokémon games with just two Pokémon before, but never one. Even back then I knew having back-up was important.

I actually used to only solo back in the day! I think it wasn't until gen 5 when I started using more than just my starter lol. It was just so easy to only train one thing and have it overlevel everyone because it was all I used, and I never thought of training more until I started wanting to branch out and use my favorites when BW came out. :sweatdrop:

I have unintentionally gone through gym battles with one Pokemon before, but I try not to make it a habit in each run. To be honest, I don't think I'd be able to go through a game with just one 'mon, I feel it'd take even longer for me to complete and would be more frustrating to even try and stick with it. That and I have too many favorites I want to use on my team, so there's really no incentive for me to bother trying anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom