• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Have you ever watched anime subbed and dubbed?

Popper500

The Popcorn Princess
Reaction score
I checked the first 11 pages, and no one had asked this, so I had to know, Do any of you guys watch anime subbed and dubbed? I was watching ouran highschool host club on netflix, and noticed that they offered both subbed and dubbed. I turned on both, and began to notice the differences between dubbed and subbed. Does anyone else do this?

Yep. watched Samurai Champloo dubbed and subbed. ironically the dub was better in my thoughts

Most of the time I watch them on SUB. Not that because i favor the 'Original' voices, but also comes out much faster than the Dub. I'm not saying the Japanese voices are bad, I'm just not defending the Sub like most fanboys do. If an Anime has a option for a English Dub, I can listen to that one IF it sounds and feels better than the original voices. Clannad and Angel Beats had a decent English Dub.

Dubbed and subbed as in watching one version after another? Apart from a few clips of Sailor Moon and Death Note here and there, I honestly can't say I've watched an anime in both versions.

No, both at the same time. This is possible if you watch it through something like netflix, or hulu, where you can have both options. Sometimes, it gets a little confusing though... Generally works the best if you have already seen the episodes beforehand.

Most of the time I watch them on SUB. Not that because i favor the 'Original' voices, but also comes out much faster than the Dub. I'm not saying the Japanese voices are bad, I'm just not defending the Sub like most fanboys do. If an Anime has a option for a English Dub, I can listen to that one IF it sounds and feels better than the original voices. Clannad and Angel Beats had a decent English Dub.

I understand. It's like when I want to watch the new episode of mlp, so I watch it on a livestream at 360p instead of on youtube for 1080p since I can get it in 360p on a livestream right after it airs at 10:30 (I don't have cable.)

I don't really mind me watching it Dubbed or Subbed. sometimes there's certain series that don't even have a Dubbed version, but I'll still watch it regardless. If the series has a dubbed version, I probably have already watched in in Japanese, but I'll still watch it again. (I like watching my favorite series over and over. I can never get enough of them even if the series has ended.)

Yes, I watch anime both dubbed and subbed.
Depending on what anime you watch, there will be differences in the wording of phrases and they might censor some content if dubbed.

For example, if you watch Pokemon: Best Wishes subbed, you would notice that Cilan is using "Tasting Time" (He says it in English) compared to the dubbed English version of "Evaluation Time". Maybe if "Tasting Time" was used in the English dub, it wouldn't make as much sense as "Evaluation Time" would.
Also, sometimes, I feel that Asian media just throws in phrases in English just to spice things up.

I find it interesting though to watch the Hetalia anime dubbed and how they include accents to the characters. For example, England would have a British accent and America would have an general American accent. Thus, the dub version shows how diverse they are while the subbed version gives them more personality.

Going into personality, subbed anime sounds cooler to me than dubbed does and the voices seem to suit the character better.
For example, one time, my little brother and I were watching an episode of Bleach on Toonami. My little brother noted how Rukia sounded like a voice that would be from a video game.

I'm not going into detail about 4Kids censorship as there have already been threads discussing that already.

i do "mix and match" anime-watching as subbed or dubbed on occasion.
generally, i prefer to watch series as subbed. sometimes though i'll watch the dub for various reasons (it may be the only version available to me, or i might've previously watched it in Japanese and want to see if the dub voices/dub edits are any good). also my boyfriend prefers watching dubbed cause he doesn't read subtitles very quickly so he'll only watch the subbed version if the series wasn't dubbed or if the dub has really bad voice acting/too many dub edits or censorship/etc. one of my close friends is the same way, so i've watched most of the Studio Ghibli movies dubbed as well, though i would've watched them in Japanese on my own.

there are only a few series i've actually watched both though - Sailor Moon i've seen pretty much the whole thing both versions, Pokemon i've seen a mix but not the whole thing one way or another. Panty & Stocking i watched both versions..and some of the studio ghibli movies i managed to watch both versions too.

I usually watch anime dubbed when the dub is good, I rarely watch subs because it brings up bad memories of when I tried to learn Japanese in middle school (through Rosetta Stone, my middle school didn't teach foreign languages, and in my high school the only languages they offered were Spanish, French, German, and Italian), that and I'm a bit biased to and don't feel comfortable watching things that aren't in my native language (which is English), plus I rather watch the show rather than constantly having to read words all the time.

I usually watch anime dubbed when the dub is good, I rarely watch subs because it brings up bad memories of when I tried to learn Japanese in middle school (through Rosetta Stone, my middle school didn't teach foreign languages, and in my high school the only languages they offered were Spanish, French, German, and Italian), that and I'm a bit biased to and don't feel comfortable watching things that aren't in my native language (which is English), plus I rather watch the show rather than constantly having to read words all the time.

How is Rosetta Stone? I'm guessing you weren't a fan. It kind of has a high cost of entry for something I'm not even sure will work.

I watch most of my anime subbed - but when I do watch dub, I normally turn on captions and realize that they don't bother putting in different captions based on language, so the subtitles for a dub are normally nothing alike. This was really obvious with Keroro Gunsou, which basically had a gag dub.

I watched the majority of the early Pokemon anime dubbed (both in my mother tongue and in English). Ever since BW, I started watching more of the episodes subs, and now I watch completely subs, but still some of the dubs in my language occasionally.

Death Note is probably the only anime that I've seen both subs and dubs fully. Every single episode. I have to say I was impressed with both Light and L's English voice actors because their acting was better than what I had expected (Miyano Mamoru was the best Light, though XD)

Yep. watched Samurai Champloo dubbed and subbed. ironically the dub was better in my thoughts

Interesting, I did the same, and have the same opinion. Why do you think the dub is better?

For me, I think the dub actors actually do a better job of conveying the unique personalities of the characters. Especially Jin. In the Japanese language version, yes, he talks stoically, but it's not that far out of the ordinary. In the English version, he's super-laconic, which I think fits his personality much better. A perfect example is...

...when Jin kills Muguro, and Mugen confronts him about it. In the Japanese, Jin's response is something like, "I'm sorry, Kohza lied to me" or something. A short, simple sentence, yes, but without much personality. In the English dub, he says, "I was deceived." In English, that's a very odd way to speak. Oddly short. It gives you a much better feel for Jin's personality.

I have to say, (I know this is like opening myself up for murder) but I prefer Dubbed. The actors can express themselves better than the Japanese actors, and it's a lot easier on people who are; Blind, dyslexic, or have any other disease involving the eyes. Plus it makes a little more sense sometimes than the subbed translation.

Interesting, I did the same, and have the same opinion. Why do you think the dub is better?

For me, I think the dub actors actually do a better job of conveying the unique personalities of the characters. Especially Jin. In the Japanese language version, yes, he talks stoically, but it's not that far out of the ordinary. In the English version, he's super-laconic, which I think fits his personality much better. A perfect example is...

...when Jin kills Muguro, and Mugen confronts him about it. In the Japanese, Jin's response is something like, "I'm sorry, Kohza lied to me" or something. A short, simple sentence, yes, but without much personality. In the English dub, he says, "I was deceived." In English, that's a very odd way to speak. Oddly short. It gives you a much better feel for Jin's personality.

I feel that with english, it allows the charcters to show more of their true colors such as Jin being a bit of a snarker and Mugen with his " i dont give a finland" attitude by not using the most proper of words

I have to say, (I know this is like opening myself up for murder) but I prefer Dubbed. The actors can express themselves better than the Japanese actors, and it's a lot easier on people who are; Blind, dyslexic, or have any other disease involving the eyes. Plus it makes a little more sense sometimes than the subbed translation.

Good point, about dubbed anime being good for people with vision problems (of which I am one of those people).

I like subbed more than dubbed because (my opinion) the english version usually mess up on parts that where enjoyable in the japanese version. A great example is K projcet

I only watch both dubbed and Japanese if the dub proves to be just as good as the original. Like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

(Funny thing about the Bebop dub is that, despite it being really well-liked by a number of people, if you watched the original Japanese version - and it helps if you can comprehend the Japanese language - you'll notice that some of the voice direction in the dub is off compared to the original intent despite how awesome the dub is otherwise.)

I only watch both dubbed and Japanese if the dub proves to be just as good as the original. Like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

(Funny thing about the Bebop dub is that, despite it being really well-liked by a number of people, if you watched the original Japanese version - and it helps if you can comprehend the Japanese language - you'll notice that some of the voice direction in the dub is off compared to the original intent despite how awesome the dub is otherwise.)

Totally in aggreement with you Fang!

Usually I watch anime subbed, but sometimes there are anime I can only appreciate to the full extent by watching the English dub, like Baccano! or Black Lagoon. Especially Black Lagoon, cause of the cussing and the bantering. I just feel more of a connection watching an anime dubbed sometimes.

I can't explain it really well but since I can't speak or understand Japanese I can't understand the references if any are made or if something's supposed to be funny, it might not be as funny in text as opposed to being able to hear and understand what's spoken.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom