• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HD remasterings of first five movies to air in Japan: Set to air on Kids Station star

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
HD remasterings of first five movies to air in Japan: Set to air on Kids Station starting next ...

The first five Pokémon movies will air in digitally remastered high definition for the first time on Japanese television on the channel Kids Station. One movie will air each Sunday at 12:00 midday, starting from Feb. 17, 2012.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: HD remasterings of first five movies to air in Japan: Set to air on Kids Station

Hmmm... Interesting. Wonder if they will be released elsewhere in their new forms.

Re: HD remasterings of first five movies to air in Japan: Set to air on Kids Station

Are these brand new remasters or just the DVDs being played on TV?

Are these brand new remasters or just the DVDs being played on TV?

I'm actually not sure. I think they are brand new remasterings as it said it was the world-wide premiere, but that could just mean the world-wide TV premiere.

I think it would be cool if they animated them again. With the new technology. I usually can't tell the difference between HD and normal.

I think it would be cool if they animated them again. With the new technology. I usually can't tell the difference between HD and normal.

These are digital remasterings, so if you put them side-by-side typically the remasterings are much brighter. HD is really only noticeable if your screen is big enough.

I wonder if they'll follow it up by released these remastered versions on bluray.

I wonder if they'll follow it up by released these remastered versions on bluray.

They are already out on BluRay in Japan. These are almost certainly the BluRay versions. Well, TV stations run at a lower bitrate so they're worse than the BluRay versions.

They have been out for a few months: Amazon.co.jp

They are already out on BluRay in Japan. These are almost certainly the BluRay versions. Well, TV stations run at a lower bitrate so they're worse than the BluRay versions.

They have been out for a few months: Amazon.co.jp

I hope to god this means we may eventually get the remasters here in the USA/Europe/Australia and get them on bluray.

I can't speak for Europe or Australia, but the only blurays in pokemon we've ever gotten in the usa is the four from miramax in that collector's set (4Ever-Destiny Deoxys). And while they were in widescreen, they were not like the japanese blurays (Heroes had the blue color and cut the intro telling the history of Altomare). Since the japanese blurays let you have English audio, I don't see why they haven't been made available to everyone else yet.

This is too much to ask I know, but I just hope this could maybe be a sign that the other parts of the world will get this too, then maybe a bluray release.

sonic10158 said:
Since the japanese blurays let you have English audio

They don't, actually. The Blu-rays only have the 2.0 and 5.1 Japanese audio tracks; the English audio track was not included.

I did a pretty in-depth review of the Blu-ray set here, for those of you who are only just now finding out about its existence.

sonic10158 said:
Since the japanese blurays let you have English audio

They don't, actually. The Blu-rays only have the 2.0 and 5.1 Japanese audio tracks; the English audio track was not included.

I did a pretty in-depth review of the Blu-ray set here, for those of you who are only just now finding out about its existence.

hmm, that's odd. I could have sworn the Japanese release came with it. I even came across a download of the bluray rip (someone used some program to rip the movie from the disc so you could put it on an ipod) of some of them (movies 1,2,3,&5) and it came with both languages. Maybe it was another release that did.

hmm, that's odd. I could have sworn the Japanese release came with it. I even came across a download of the bluray rip (someone used some program to rip the movie from the disc so you could put it on an ipod) of some of them (movies 1,2,3,&5) and it came with both languages. Maybe it was another release that did.

I don't think they've ever released the Pokemon anime bilingually. The dub likes to edit scenes when they adapt the anime, be it text on-screen or cutting/adding frames or entire scenes.

I don't think they've ever released the Pokemon anime bilingually. The dub likes to edit scenes when they adapt the anime, be it text on-screen or cutting/adding frames or entire scenes.

They have, actually. It wasn't the dub, but I know for a fact they have. Not released outside of Japan though. For example here is the first one:

Pokemon: The First Movie / Pocket Monsters: Mewtwo Strikes Back Complete Edition / Pikachu's Summer Vacation [Limited Pressing]

The title on the page may say english subtitles, but it includes the english audio too (according to the further info section and both reviews of the product). They also did this for some of the other movies.

Do you think there will be a promotion tie in with the movies?

Dogasu said:
You may notice that I keep bringing up the price. This set retails for 38,640 yen, which, as of this writing, translates to US $446.00. THAT’S ALMOST HALF A GRAND, PEOPLE! If you divide that price by 13 (I'm not counting the shorts because I figure they should be coupled with the movies with which they aired), you're paying roughly 3,000 yen (about US $36.00) per movie.
How many people can even afford paying so much for a movie set? It's far more reasonable to watch these remastered versions on TV. I wonder if the remaining movies will be broadcast in the foreseeable future.

Dogasu said:
Here's the thing, though: ShoPro actually thinks paying more for a Blu-ray set you would for the Blu-ray player itself is actually reasonable!
It seems to me that Musashi was implying that the set wasn't worth the price, even though Nyasu was going along with the shameless promotion.

Musashi: "Kudou-san? This is Musashi, back in the studio. If this is the fifteenth anniversary set...then why isn't this year's movie being included as well?"

(the muzak stops)

Kudou: "Um..."
Musashi: "Kudou-san? This is Musashi, back in the studio. 1,249 minutes...how many hours and minutes is that?"

(the muzak stops again)

Kudou: "Um..."
Musashi: "Kudou-san! This is Musashi, back in the studio. I opened up our copy of the set and was wondering why there's an empty slot for two discs in that back. W-what is that for?"

(the muzak stops)
At least someone speaks up her mind.

Do you think there will be a promotion tie in with the movies?

Kids Station shows the Pokemon movies on a constant rotation. They're just switching over to the new remasters now because they have access to them. There's nothing particularly noteworthy to see here.

sonic10158 said:

There aren't any other Blu-ray releases of the movies in Japan. There's only the one that came out last November and, as stated earlier, that one didn't have the English audio on it.

Now the DVDs, yes, but only for movies 1-3. Media Factory hasn't been including the English dub on their DVDs for any of the movies since then.

What you came across was probably someone ripping the video from the Blu-rays and then taking the English audio track from the American (or Canadian, Australian, etc.) DVDs and tacking that on there as an extra. The legit release of the Blu-ray only includes the Japanese tracks.

Silktree said:
How many people can even afford paying so much for a movie set?

Well, I bought it, so that's at least one.

The Blu-ray set wasn't meant to be something you buy for your kids. It's a product meant for older collectors who can afford to drop half a grand on a thirteen movie set.

The Japanese DVDs of the first 3 movies (including the 2011 reprints, according to Dogasu's detailed movie guide which should pretty much resolve any question of what languages included in each release) included the 4Kids dub as an audio track. The 'English subtitles' in these movies are the dub dialogue - not a direct translation. The Blu-ray box set released late last year doesn't include these.

It's possible that they don't include it due to the presumed WB rights expiration during the Arceus Gap. Movies 1-3 are still out of print in the US.

The movies definitely wouldn't be the same if they redid the animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom