• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Headscratching moments

matt0044

Reaction score
This threads about moments in the Anime that don't make you rant so much as make you got "Huh?" when you think about it.

For one: how are Ash, May or Dawn able to be Trainers when they don't seem to have even the bare basis down when they start? You'd think they'd be better educated before being sent into the world yet Dawn forgets to unshrink the Poke Ball and May shows how she hardly knows how Pokemon Evolution works. I fear to think how they'd managed without meeting Ash. If the Professors were remotely smart enough, they'd have them take a test so they know said basics.

I also wonder how the Poke Ball comes back to the Trainer when it's throw. Wouldn't it be more practical to thrust it out forth and let the Pokemon come out?

Anyone else got a headscratching moment to share?

Seriously, if I started wondering some little things in this show I would be scratching my head all the time. XD

I thought the point of Trainer School was for people to learn the basis of Pokemon, capturing, and battling before becoming a trainer, so the fact that Ash, May, and Dawn were clueless first starting off made no sense to me. I mean of course I didn't expect them to know everything, and in May's case she wasn't even interested in Pokemon when she first started out, but seeing hoe excited Ash was you'd think he'd g to Trainer's School to learn the basics before heading off on his journey. Also I know that games no not equal the anime, but the fact that in the games you have preschoolers who battle you and yet Max couldn't capture a pokemon himself baffled me.

I wonder why Team Rocket and other villains teams respect the party limit of 6 Pokémon to begin with. They're supposed to be the bad guys and they never respected other rules, so why do they bother leaving their Pokémon at the headquarters?
During the Orange Islands arc Charizard's tail flame almost gets doused by a Poliwrath and it is treated as a big deal, but during his departure episode in Johto he is thrown into a large body of water and his flame turns out to be okay.
Also, every time Ash asks for persmission to re-challenge a gym when he loses. It is their job to accept the challenge, he doesn't need to beg for a rematch.

I wonder why Team Rocket and other villains teams respect the party limit of 6 Pokémon to begin with. They're supposed to be the bad guys and they never respected other rules, so why do they bother leaving their Pokémon at the headquarters?

Thinking about it, maybe it's because the TRio would have too many mouths to feed then and wouldn't be able to raise all of them.

When I think about the made-up language and symbols, they may as well use Japanese since that'd be no different aside from being an actual language. I don't think international fans are going to mind that much. It just make me scratch me head and ask "why?"

Last edited:
Why Cameron is allowed to be a trainer.

Yeah. Who in their right mind would make the kid who thought the Unova League would be in Johto a Trainer?

Seriously, if I started wondering some little things in this show I would be scratching my head all the time. XD

True but it can be funny to think about how this or that doesn't seem to add up in hindsight.

Why Ash almost never used Palpitoad.
Why Cameron is allowed to be a trainer.
Yeah. Who in their right mind would make the kid who thought the Unova League would be in Johto a Trainer?
Because he was able to train a well balanced team of Pokémon, he is not weak and he knows how to battle. It's not that hard to figure out and the mistakes Cameron made are things he can easily correct or learn, it does not effect his abilities as a trainer when it comes to Pokémon battles. Asking how somebody can become a trainer is more suited for a character who's opposite the former description; constantly losing, no bond with their Pokémon.

On the subject of Cameron, here is one that I don't think anybody can figure out: How does Cameron snapping his headband on his forehead give him an idea (a brainwave) and why does it only hurt when he fails to think up one?

Last edited:
Because he was able to train a well balanced team of Pokémon, he is not weak and he knows how to battle. It's not that hard to figure out and the mistakes Cameron made are things he can easily correct or learn, it does not effect his abilities as a trainer when it comes to Pokémon battles. Asking how somebody can become a trainer is more suited for a character who's opposite the former description; constantly losing, no bond with their Pokémon.

On the subject of Cameron, here is one that I don't think anybody can figure out: How does Cameron snapping his headband on his forehead give him an idea (a brainwave) and why does it only hurt when he fails to think up one?

If he journeyed to Jotho with seven Unova badges a good team do not help. But I can see your point. He is not completely dumb.

I was talking about how he's on a journey and is such a scatterbrain that it's a wonder how he survive on the road and all. He's a good enough Trainer, that's true.

The itchiest moment of all:
250px-Thunder_Armor.png

The itchiest moment of all:
250px-Thunder_Armor.png

I hated this moment, it happened only because they could'nt think of a way for him not to lose so this thunder shield (that was never seen before of after this episode) happened. Pure duex ex machina here.

When Pokémon in the anime learn super uber moves right away (e.g. Giga impact, flamethrower, hydro pump, etc.)

Why is it that some of Ash's Pokemon evolve and others just... don't? If they used an Everstone, that'd explain things but they don't ever attempt to explain how Snivy, for example, has never shown signs of becoming a Servine. And if Oshawott's going to be there looking cute, at least explain why he's not a Dewott.

It's just... why?

How did Kotty ever manage to win his 7 other badges?

(Man, the Isshu GLs must suck even worse than we thought...)

How did Kotty ever manage to win his 7 other badges?

(Man, the Isshu GLs must suck even worse than we thought...)
By battling them, like every other trainer does? I don't understand why it's confusing, Cameron is not weak, he's just scatterbrained and not the sharpest tool in the shed, there's a huge difference. He clearly knows how to battle, his Pokémon are strong (a dumb and/or scatterbrained character who is able to take on strong opponents is not uncommon in anime, heck Ash is one of these people). Also if Cameron messes something up he will only complain for few seconds but then quickly gets over it and tries to find something to make up for it and if it's something he can't fix; Cameron doesn't give up, he just moves on and continues with what he's doing so his chance of succession is still probable. That's called putting your best foot forward and this is why he's able to defeat his opponents, because Cameron has one of the attitudes a Pokémon trainer should have, being optimistic and always pushing on. If Cameron had been the complete opposite then his success would have actually been confusing, but saying that he most likely wouldn't have succeed in anything at all if he was somebody who would constantly give up on himself and mope all the time (just going by how the anime would most likely portray this).

Last edited:
In the games Pokemon can only Mega evovle under a battle...
But the Blaziken belonging to Capt. Blaziken Masked Hero, is in it's Mega form in the anime many times and mostly it's not even in a battle. That's a bit weird xD
Like that Blaziken should only be in that form under a battle, not before or after a battle, lol. I think that even prof. Sycamore said in the anime that Pokemon can only Mega evolve under a battle and return back when the battle ends. Well that Blaziken is not following the rules here xD

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom