• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HeartGold but I only use Grass-types

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Any
yeaaaaaaah
i'm not sure if this thread would go here or somewhere else but whatevs.
So ofc I started off with Chikorita, at the moment she's the only Pokemon in my team
I accidentally evolved her while trying to find a female Bellsprout, and as of the Gym battle she is level 19
so that's neat i guess.

i'm so sad...i can't catch Gastly because it's not a grass type...

as far as i know these are my only options

• Tangela/Tangrowth
  • Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium
  • Sunkern/Sunflora
  • Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume/Bellossom
  • Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebell
  • Exeggcute/Exeggutor
  • Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
  • Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur
  • Celebi

some of which are not very easy to get

feel free to yell at me about how going Grass-only isn't a good idea because grass types are weak against flying AND bug AND ice AND poison and have NO type advantage over any of the gyms OR elite four

• Tangela/Tangrowth
  • Sunkern/Sunflora
  • Exeggcute/Exeggutor
  • Celebi

- Paras/Parasect (Ilex Forest), and some others of 3 and 4 generations later in the game.

Last edited:
As a grass-type connoisseur, this looks right up my alley. Good luck on trying to beat the game!

• Tangela/Tangrowth
  • Sunkern/Sunflora
  • Exeggcute/Exeggutor
  • Celebi

some of which are not very easy to get

feel free to yell at me about how going Grass-only isn't a good idea because grass types are weak against flying AND bug AND ice AND poison and have NO type advantage over any of the gyms OR elite four
1706062021495.png

Oof, I remember I did exact type of run in HG once, too. This game is not kind to Grass-types, that's for sure.

Good luck with your run!

(Also, remember to use the Pokéathlon to your advantage to get your hands on any leaf/sun stones if you need to!)

Good luck! I know it will be hard (I mean, the endgame has Pryce, Clair, Koga and Lance with his Charizard...) but with enough preparation you can do it, I know Meganium can be quite bulky when needed.

Good luck! I know it will be hard (I mean, the endgame has Pryce, Clair, Koga and Lance with his Charizard...) but with enough preparation you can do it, I know Meganium can be quite bulky when needed.
Honestly, Pryce is going to be the HIGH POINT for this run. Though, if this Team can get to Kanto, it will be a lot easier. If I was doing this run, I would be training to get at least +10 levels over the Gym Leaders, but that is just me. Grass type runs in Johto are just absolutely beaten up very hard. Unfortunate for what is usually a pretty solid type.

Back
Top Bottom