• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HeartGold/SoulSilver Kanto and Pokedex Guide

AndyPKMN

Reaction score
Starting a new topic because to my knowledge, the old guide topic is long dead.

I got the guide last night. It is amazing.

Neat features:
A daily event schedule (showing both things you can do every day and things exclusive to particular days);
A full Safari Zone section;
A full Battle Frontier section;
An updated Pokegear section, featuring a list of what trainers you can receive phone numbers from, and what they have to offer;
A very detailed "Pokemon Battle Primer," detailing training and battle strategies, and a page on the 2010 Pokemon Video Game Championships;
A National Pokedex Completion Guide, which besides detailing the different ways to obtain Pokemon goes into such details as how to raise a Smeargle knowing False Swipe, Spore, Foresight, and Mean Look;
An updated Pokewalker guide

Needless to say, I am quite impressed.

I grabbed this book too. You never know when you'll be without Bulbapedia or the internet to look something up.

I might buy one out of curiosity, and to help with the Safari Zone, which seems pretty confusing.

How much is it? $10? $20? $15?

It's $20. It's worth it I would say.

There are some errors though...

Treecko is listed as a Pokemon that can be caught in Treehouse in the Pokewalker.
In the Reverse Move Look-up Nightmare is missing and is listed as Bad Dreams.
Dusk Ball is listed as Dark Ball in some places.

Last edited:
Yes, it finally came out yesterday!

I was supposed to have one pre-ordered but I will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it was ordered as there was quite a discount for doing so.

Also, if you guys find any errors in the guidebook please post them as we can use them for the Prima Official Strategy Guide Page. Thanks!

It's $20. It's worth it I would say.

There are some errors though...

Treecko is listed as a Pokemon that can be caught in Treehouse in the Pokewalker.
In the Reverse Move Look-up Nightmare is missing and is listed as Bad Dreams.
Dusk Ball is listed as Dark Ball in some places.

The Platinum book has a lot of errors too; it's to be expected at this point :/

Found another one: on page 161 Slaking's ability is called Slack Off instead on Truant... Even though it says Truant right beside it. ._.

How's the art? Anything new?

Nothing "new," although it does have most of the art that wasn't in the first guide.

Still a good buy, despite errors. I'd say this is THE most comprehensive guide we've ever gotten. Heck, Arceus gets two full pages to himself in the Pokedex section, so it can show the sprites and Pokeathlon stats for all of its forms.

I will buy one but 20 dollars isn't worth buying one but i will wait a week or two since they will know it down to 15 or 10 dollars.

I finally got my guidebook today and it is really neat. Definitely an improvement over the previous guide. I also noticed that the actual publisher of this guide is The Pokémon Company International (TPCi), so they must have teamed up with Prima's Production department to get it done.

I found an error on page 32 to the right of Step 3 where they put "When you crush them, you can find items like Elixir and Revive (p. XX)." where as they were supposed to put a page number there. I guess they didn't look it back over before actually publishing the book. Nothing big though. I am trying to read through the whole thing, but I am only about a fourth of the way through but will see what else I come up with.

I will buy one but 20 dollars isn't worth buying one but i will wait a week or two since they will know it down to 15 or 10 dollars.
Usually they stay about the same price for a while. The longer you wait as well, the harder they will be harder to find as I know it is pretty hard to find the Diamond and Pearl guides now. You may have some luck with getting a used one cheaper.

What other info is in it?
Looking out the table of contents, a basic outline of what is in the book is:

Kanto Walkthrough
Safari Zone Guide
Battle Frontier Guide
Pokedex Completion Guide
National Pokedex

The National Pokedex section in this guide is pretty neat, and has every Pokemon from Bulbasaur to Arceus, which they did not include Arceus in the previous one. For each Pokemon it gives the battle sprites, the PokeWalker sprite, the overworld sprite, and all the learnable moves.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom