• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Heartwarming Winter Tales - Rules Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the exact opposite of what you were saying about the contest's deadline....just saying. It's still a good idea.

Pretty sure he just meant that if you had a set deadline and then the results somehow came out earlier than expected, people would be happy with that.

I think people just need to have patience. You guys say you aren't writing for the prize and don't care about winning it but it doesn't seem that way. Kayi, Ryuu and whoever else is judging have lives too and it is difficult to read all the entries and decide.

Go back, read all the good stories again and enjoy the fact that everyone put forth great effort. Seriously guys, there are some awesome holiday stories. Great job!

Patience though. The results will come when they come.

Happy New Year!

Pretty sure he just meant that if you had a set deadline and then the results somehow came out earlier than expected, people would be happy with that.

I think people just need to have patience. You guys say you aren't writing for the prize and don't care about winning it but it doesn't seem that way. Kayi, Ryuu and whoever else is judging have lives too and it is difficult to read all the entries and decide.

Go back, read all the good stories again and enjoy the fact that everyone put forth great effort. Seriously guys, there are some awesome holiday stories. Great job!

Patience though. The results will come when they come.

Happy New Year!

It's mostly just suspense. No matter whether you care about winning or not, you still want to have a general idea of a date. To use a metaphor:

Say your friend/relative/lover brought you to see a movie. It's a double feature showcasing the talents of some lame actors, and its plot is nothing special. It's a standard story- some heroes learn about an ancient conspiracy, they get in a few fights, and the big bad has just revealed his plan. The heroes have finally figured out the location of the Mac Guffin. You really don't feel any attachment to the characters at all, and you really just want it to be over.

You leave the theater at the break between features, and your friend/relative/lover just won't shut up about it. What's going to happen next? Are they going to win? Will they set up for a sequel? What happened to the mouse? After hearing this for a few minutes, you start to wonder the same things. In fact, you start to look forward to the second feature.

At the end of the break, everyone starts to make their way back to the theater. You take your seat, you place the popcorn where it's easy to reach, and you stare at the boring trivia that keeps popping up on the screen. Did you know that Justin Bieber is a Pisces? I didn't. Eventually, the screen goes black, and the lights dim. The theater is silent.

Nothing happens. The screen stays black, and a murmur starts up in the audience. All of a sudden, you hear someone on the intercom:

"Hello. This is the manager of Generic Theater, and I'd just like everyone to know that the tape for Generic Adventure 2 caught fire during the intermission. We're sorry for the inconvenience, and we hope you understand. If you show your ticket at the booth, we will be sure to refund you completely."

So you leave the theater again, and you're rather disappointed. While your friend/relative/lover gets your money back, you see the manager standing near the entrance to the theaters. You go up to talk to him.

"You're the manager, right?" you ask.

"Yes," he says.

"I was watching Generic Adventure 2 with my friend/relative/lover, and she/he really liked the first half."

He nods. "I'm not surprised. It got a Metascore of 76."

"Do you think you could give me an approximate idea of when you'll get a new film? I mean, I know you can't give me an exact date, but do you think you could just give me an idea?"

He thinks for a few seconds, counts off on his fingers, then looks you in the eye. "No," he says.

"Not even a guess?"

"No."

"A wild guess?"

"No."

"Do you think it might arrive on a day that ends with Y?"

"No clue."

You stare at him for a while, looking confused. Without saying another word, he walks away.

That's what this is like. It's like going to a movie with your friend/relative/lover.

And there we have it, another classic GIROG metaphor. Never fails to disappoint.

Anyway, no, this isn't the opposite of what I was saying about the deadline for the contest.

For the deadline I said - You shouldn't extend the deadline, thus making people wait longer for something than you said they'd have to. That's annoying.

For this situation I said - It's alright to reduce the deadline, thus making people wait shorter for something than you said they'd have to. That's delightful.

The judges have until the end of the month to calculate their results.

Well, there you have it. I guess that's settled? Even though I'm not even a part of the contest >_>

Don't sell yourself short. There's a lot to read and a lot of really good submissions.

Hello to all my Workshop darlings! :ksmile: *hugs all*

We finally have our preliminary list of winners for all the Holiday Events here! :-D (courtesy of recently-married Archaic; don't forget to congratulate him and Kasumi! :p)

Quoting from there (and taking a lot of liberties):
  1. Legacy: the BW preorder
  2. Gastly's Mama: cute banner
  3. Lambie: cute banner too!

Congratulations! :-D

Congrats to the winners I suppose, and well, that was a ultimately a huge waste of time on my part. :( Though I should've seen this result coming when I had to mutilate just about everything in it. Ah, who am I kidding, I should've seen it coming even if I didn't.

</shameless, and let's face it: somewhat pathetic attempt to get at least comments on mine>

Wow! Thanks so much mods, not only for picking my fic (that I threw together in like 45 minutes), but for doing these awesome holiday contests in the first place. The Garden is simply awesome!

Congrats to all in the Heartwarming Winter Tales contest. There were truly some amazing holiday stories to read! I love the WW!

The contest is officially over! Congratulations to our lucky winners, and a big thank you to all who participated!

I am now closing and unstickying this thread; it is no longer of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom