• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Help determining whether these cards are fake/real

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalKS

Reaction score
First off the bat I don't know if this is adequate making a thread just for this.
I found these when I was re-organizing my old cards and was having trouble figuring out if these cards were actually real, because some aspects made me suspicious. All of these are not in the best condition as I didn't take care of them when I first got them.

Hitmontop Neo Discovery.gif
Honestly I don't remember how I got this card, what made me suspicious is that the picture doesn't have the holo patterns like the ones on the internet. It may be a reverse, but I don't know a lot about the set so please tell me if anyone knows.

Ho-oh Skyridge.gif
I remembering getting this card in a trade. Similar to the previous one, it doesn't have a holo pattern, and the whole card is just so shiny. I have a Feraligatr from Expedition which is similar in pattern, I looked it up and there were indeed reverse holos of the Feralligatr, but I'm not sure about this card.

Rayquaza ex Dragon.gif
I got this in a trade well, the frames are not as shiny as it should be, it is just plain silver.

Back.gif
These are the back sides of the aforementioned cards, left to right: Hitmontop, Ho-oh, Rayquaza ex.

If anyone has any knowledge about these cards, please share them and help me decide they should go into sleeves or in the bin.
Thanks.

Rayquaza ex seems legitimate, but I'm not so sure on the other two. Maybe someone else can tell if they are.

Compare the paper to a real. Fakes are usually real thin and more grainy rather than smooth.

Look on the side. If you see a piece of black paper in between 2 white ones, it's almost a sure thing it's real.

But I'm pretty sure that that Hitmontop and Lugia are both fakes, since on real cards, I'm pretty sure that the holo isn't supposed to span the entire card.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else knows anything please feel free to share.

I had my suspicions when I had a closer look at them recently, so I don't feel that disappointed. Rather than assuming them as real cards and trading them to someone else, I would prefer to end the cycle here.
Palbert6393, would you mind telling me your reasons for them being fake? I would like to learn more on how to tell the difference between fake and real cards, thanks :D

Well, 1st the Hitmontop. From your description and the picture it looks like the entire card has the look of a revers holo. There were two versions of this card. 1) The holo version in which only the picture is holofol and 2) a non holo version. The number on your card matches the non-holo version, so it should not be shiny in any way. The Ho-oh was also has 2 versions 1) the holofol version similar to Himontop's, and 2) the reverse holo version. While this one is harder to tell Hitmontop, there were two main problems. 1)the holofoil pattern doesn't match the real ones, and 2)The entire border should not be holofoil, only the silver lines. The Rayquaza only had one version, which makes this easier. It doesnt have the embedded patters in the holofoil like it should. Also, the scratches over parts of the card showing silver shouldn't do that. It also appears to be peeling on the corners, which leads me to believe that its cheap cardstock with shiny paper basically glued on. Two things though before you get rid of them. If the Hitmontop is non-foil, as it appears it might be in the picture, then its likely a real card. Also, I'm not extremely familiar with the Crystal cards, such as your Ho-Oh. I'm going off pictures on the internet, however I do have one crystal card at home that I will check thnis weekend when I go home to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom