• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Help with dragonite.

Derp-Derp2

Reaction score
Hello

this is my old dragonite:

252 hp
252 attack
adamant
Multiscale
31 hp
31 attack
31 defence
31 sp defence
31 speed

Dragon claw
fire punch
extreme speed
Ironhead

it was outspead by mega mawile

originally it was 252 attack / 252 speed but it couldn't take 1 hit from HA greninja ice beem.

I want a balance of faster than mega mawile but able to take 1 ice beem from HA greninha.
I am then going to give it :

Dragon claw
fire punch
extreme speed
thunder punch (to take out Azumarill 1 TP before belly drum then extreme speed it after)

This works with weakness policy.

i just want some help with what iv values to give it. I was thinking 252 attack then the rest in hp / Spd but im not sure exactly how much. As i said it needs to withstand a stab ice beem from greninja and 1 play rough from full HP.

Hello

this is my old dragonite:

252 hp
252 attack
adamant
Multiscale
31 hp
31 attack
31 defence
31 sp defence
31 speed

Dragon claw
fire punch
extreme speed
Ironhead

it was outspead by mega mawile

originally it was 252 attack / 252 speed but it couldn't take 1 hit from HA greninja ice beem.

I want a balance of faster than mega mawile but able to take 1 ice beem from HA greninha.
I am then going to give it :

Dragon claw
fire punch
extreme speed
thunder punch (to take out Azumarill 1 TP before belly drum then extreme speed it after)

This works with weakness policy.

i just want some help with what iv values to give it. I was thinking 252 attack then the rest in hp / Spd but im not sure exactly how much. As i said it needs to withstand a stab ice beem from greninja and 1 play rough from full HP.

Edit: Never mind I misread your old Dragonite spread, and yeah Mega Mawile with Max speed investment should be able to outspeed said Dragonite.

Last edited:
Only spread I was able to get Dragonite to have a Speed tie with Max Speed Mega Mawile (Which is a dumb move on your opponents part) and survive Greninja's Ice Beam is a 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe.

The damage calc came up as follows:

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 328-385 (85.6 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

So D-Nite dies after Rocks. And if you just want to tie a Max Speed Mega Mawile use the 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe.

Or you could just run Dragon Dance on D-Nite and get to +2 and outspeed both Mega Mawile and LO Greninja.

Dragonite at +2 OHKOs Greninja with Extemespeed 68% of the time and Fire Punch is a guaranteed OHKO at +2 on Mega Mawile

You making a classic mistake of team building. You are focusingin too much on stopping dragonites counters with dragonite itself. What you should be doing is building dragonite to its strenght (boost sweeping) and build pokemon around it that can wreak its weaknesses.

my set is focused around weakness policy, acting as bait and 1hko most with extreme speed or 2hko with fire punch / stab dragon claw then extreme speed after it takes a super effective hit. I don't want to have to swap dragonite out after weakness policy has been used because i loose the +attack.

i was very happy with my 252 hp 252 attack dragonite until it was out speeded by a mega mawile i was happy with my 252 speed 252 attack dragonite until it was 1hit ko with Protean Greninja ice beem with multiscale active. Just want a happy medium between these 2 pokemon. I don't want it to sweep teams i want it to take out threats and currently the threats are mega evolutions, belly drum azumarill, Protean greninja, and possibly Aegislash. I expect most to all have something super effective against dragonite bait them into using it then +2 maby with dragon dance instead of thunder punch +3 extreme speed them to death.

i do however take your criticism but i found it just fails too hard not to 1 hit ko things this gen.

Maby it would be worth taking some of its attack and putting it into its bulk ? hoping they take the bate with weakness policy.

I also like switching into a fairy move / dragon move knowing dragonite can take the hit then turn round and 1hit ko whatever hit me in the first place.

why can dragonite not learn coil >.<

Last edited:
my set is focused around weakness policy, acting as bait and 1hko most with extreme speed or 2hko with fire punch / stab dragon claw then extreme speed after it takes a super effective hit. I don't want to have to swap dragonite out after weakness policy has been used because i loose the +attack.

i was very happy with my 252 hp 252 attack dragonite until it was out speeded by a mega mawile i was happy with my 252 speed 252 attack dragonite until it was 1hit ko with Protean Greninja ice beem with multiscale active. Just want a happy medium between these 2 pokemon. I don't want it to sweep teams i want it to take out threats and currently the threats are mega evolutions, belly drum azumarill, Protean greninja, and possibly Aegislash. I expect most to all have something super effective against dragonite bait them into using it then +2 maby with dragon dance instead of thunder punch +3 extreme speed them to death.

i do however take your criticism but i found it just fails too hard not to 1 hit ko things this gen.

Maby it would be worth taking some of its attack and putting it into its bulk ? hoping they take the bate with weakness policy.

I also like switching into a fairy move / dragon move knowing dragonite can take the hit then turn round and 1hit ko whatever hit me in the first place.

why can dragonite not learn coil >.<

If you don't want Dragonite to sweep then there's no point in using it. Dragonite's point, whether its bulky or not, is to get to +2 Attack and +2 Speed and sweep 2-4 Pokemon.

+3 attack +1 speed is more than good enough
i think i will go dragon dance, extreme speed, fire punch, dragon claw

the power of extreme speed sweeps most non bulky pokemon. looking at a post on smogen forums the possibility's with dragonite is endless and seems to really miss that 5th slot.

btw what was the website you used to check 1hko potential?

+3 attack +1 speed is more than good enough
i think i will go dragon dance, extreme speed, fire punch, dragon claw

the power of extreme speed sweeps most non bulky pokemon. looking at a post on smogen forums the possibility's with dragonite is endless and seems to really miss that 5th slot.

btw what was the website you used to check 1hko potential?

just google Damage Calculation

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom