• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Help with my Y Team (Charizard Y)

RGMX100

Musician and nerd
Reaction score
I pretty much solo ran the entire of the storyline up to the Champion with just my Charizard. I decided to start breeding for IVs and EV training, starting with Charizard. Here's his layout;

Charizard (@ CharizarditeY)
Nature: Modest
EV spread: 4 HP/ 252 SP. A/ 252 SPD
Moveset: Fire Blast, Solar Beam, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast
Strategy: So far in competitive, I've really just switched in Charizard, Mega evolved him (raising his Special Attack and activating Drought), and started sweeping. I will usually get through half of a team, before being hit by rocks or poison.

This may be awkward, but seeing as bug is my favourite type, I'd quite like to build a monobug team (excluding Charizard of course). I know there's Forretress for spinning/entry hazards and Scizor for sweeping, but I'm stumped with clerics and walls etc.
Any help? I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
A monobug team with Charizard. Interesting. While Forretress and Scizor are good bug types, there's also Volcarona who avoids the Fire weakness. Armaldo is another good Bug-type who can spin, use Knock Off and have sweeping potential. Scolipede is also good for baton passing speed boosts and whatever else you desire to Charizard for max potential. Heracross can avoid the 4x Rock weakness while Galvantula (my favorite Bug-type) is good for his Sticky Web at the cost of being frailer then anything else. Just some suggestions. All in all, I won't lie, in the competitive scene, this will be too tough. Id recommend two Bugs at the most for the team and work around that.

I'm sure the BBL has a Bug-type expert *somewhere* ???

Thanks, never thought of using some of these. I looked around for possible cleric bug pokemon but couldn't find any :(

Now that i look, Illumise can learn Wish/Baton Pass and Leavanny/Parasect can get Heal Bell if that helps your search a bit. There's probably a few more.

EDIT: Parasect gets Aromatherapy, which is a good equivalent.

Not many Bugs can get a move that helps out CharY. A good Pokemon that'll help CharY is SmashPass Gorebyss. If you can get CharY out on the second turn, you'd likely end up switching in while the opponent is swapping out their Rocks layer.

Yeah, Aromatherapy is generally better than Heal Bell because it affects Pokemon with Soundproof, thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom