• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Here's how we could figure out how many Pokemon will not be in SwSh...

TapLover

Reaction score
The official Stragedy guide goes for 352 pages. Now try and invest in the regular page length of Prima's Pokedex listing and see where we end up to.

That's not low in the slightest. 400 is huge.
The amount of cut Pokémon would be truly abysmally high. Unacceptable if you consider that the 3DS games could easily support 700-800 models.

Even Diamond/Pearl supported 493 different species.

I personally left the whole National Dexit thing behind me; I understand the decision, especially if each new generation introduces a few dozen of new Pokémon. But I think it's reasonable to expect at least as many models as in the 3ds series; Gamefreak should be able to do that. It'd be a shame, otherwise.

Last edited:
The amount of cut Pokémon would be truly abysmally high. Unacceptable if you consider that the 3DS games could easily support 700-800 models.

Even Diamond/Pearl supported 493 different species.

I personally left the whole National Dexit thing behind me; I understand the decision, especially if each new generation introduces a few dozen of new Pokémon. But I think it's reasonable to expect at least as many models as in the 3ds series; Gamefreak should be able to do that. It'd be a shame, otherwise.
If we were able to live with 493 in a game, it's not impossible to live with 400 at the least. And it's not like then it just had 493 amounts of data in the games, this is all accessible to obtain in one game, if you get what I mean.

If we were able to live with 493 in a game, it's not impossible to live with 400 at the least. And it's not like then it just had 493 amounts of data in the games, this is all accessible to obtain in one game, if you get what I mean.
Disagree; we were able to live with 493 because that were all the 'mons in existence.

400-475 is far too few for a 60 dollar game while older gens had more.

XY: 416
SM: 352
LGPE: 400
SwSh: 352

The only explanation I have for LGPE is the inclusion of interviews and concept art. Anyway, SwSh being below XY (457 Pokemon) isn't a good sign.
Wait I don't think the number of pages is representative to how many pokemon are available since I think the guide talks about other stuff as well

Disagree; we were able to live with 493 because that were all the 'mons in existence.

400-475 is far too few for a 60 dollar game while older gens had more.
Like heck it is. There've been plenty of other expensive games that exists that had less then 400 creatures.

Wait I don't think the number of pages is representative to how many pokemon are available since I think the guide talks about other stuff as well

Like heck it is. There've been plenty of other expensive games that exists that had less then 400 creatures.
Not Pokémon games. Why wouldn't they be able to reach roughly the same as the 3DS games in terms of numbers? Why should we be content with fewer monsters than in the national dexes of gen 4-7? I understand them not being able to support a thousand or so models, but 600? Should be doable, as they did that in the past as well.

Not Pokémon games. Why wouldn't they be able to reach roughly the same as the 3DS games in terms of numbers? Why should we be content with fewer monsters than in the national dexes of gen 4-7? I understand them not being able to support a thousand or so models, but 600? Should be doable, as they did that in the past as well.
Gee, it's almost as is the game is bigger with more content, and the price of a game comes from more than the data inside it. Imagine that! Look at Digimon Cyber Slueth. 50 bucks and only had over 200 digimon when over 800 exists.

Gee, it's almost as is the game is bigger with more content, and the price of a game comes from more than the data inside it. Imagine that! Look at Digimon Cyber Slueth. 50 bucks and only had over 200 digimon when over 800 exists.
Are you daft? That's a whole different game and franchise. Stop with the absurd what-aboutisms.

Pokémon XY was a HUGE step-up from the DS games, yet they were able to support more than 600 Pokémon. The models had to be made from scratch, as well, while SwSh uses the same models (with some tweaks here and there and higher resolutions, but the old models, nonetheless).

Also, creature-design probably doesn't go in the way of environment-design, I guess they both have different teams. So, if creature-design was able to do 600+ in Gen V, VI and VII, why not in Gen VIII?

Are you daft? That's a whole different game and franchise. Stop with the absurd what-aboutisms.

Pokémon XY was a HUGE step-up from the DS games, yet they were able to support more than 600 Pokémon. The models had to be made from scratch, as well, while SwSh uses the older models (with some tweaks here and there and higher resolutions, but the old models, nonetheless).

Also, creature-design probably doesn't go in the way of environment-design, I guess they both have different teams. So, if creature-design was able to do 600+ in Gen V, VI and VII, why not in Gen VIII?
I don't care if it's a different franchise, it only proves that video game's price isn't determined by the number data, models, or creatures inside it.

I don't care if it's a different franchise, it only proves that video game's price isn't determined by the number data, models, or creatures inside it.
No of course it isn't, nor was I claiming that to be. I just pointed out that the standard shouldn't be lowered if the price increases. And whether you care or not about it being a different franchise, comparing the Digimon games to Pokémon is apples/oranges. You should just compare the Pokémon games with other main-series Pokémon games.

You're also not adressing the other points I made.

No of course it isn't, nor was I claiming that to be. I just pointed out that the standard shouldn't be lowered if the price increases.

You're also not adressing the other points I made.
Except the price increased cause that's the basic price of console games for years. Again you don't buy a game for the data inside it. Otherwise, just pla showdown and play it for free if money's an issue. If not, you're just buying a console game.

Except the price increased cause that's the basic price of console games for years. Again you don't buy a game for the data inside it. Otherwise, just pla showdown and play it for free if money's an issue. If not, you're just buying a console game.
You still completely miss the point. Price increase or not, the standard quality of the game should be preserved. A set amount of Pokémon on par with older generations included.

I can afford the 20 bucks extra, no problem. That's not the issue. Also, you're still not adressing the other points I made.

You still completely miss the point. Price increase or not, the standard quality of the game should be preserved. A set amount of Pokémon on par with older generations included.

I can afford the 20 bucks extra, no problem. That's not the issue. Also, you're still not adressing the other points I made.
You point is you feel this "standard" determines the price of the game, which it does not. I am stating your points and it's not a good one. Again, the number of pokemon doesn't determine the price of the game, nor the quality.

You point is you feel this "standard" determines the price of the game, which it does not. I am stating your points and it's not a good one. Again, the number of pokemon doesn't determine the price of the game, nor the quality.
No, let me rephrase my point:

We know and understand that Gamefreak won't be able to include MORE Pokémon in the national dex than before, but why should we be okay with LESS than the usual amount of Pokémon?

It'd just be odd if the games come with fewer stuff than older games but with an higher price, was all I'm saying. Seeing as there are not that much new things and plenty of scrapped things.

Let me rephrase my point:

We know and understand that Gamefreak won't be able to include MORE Pokémon in the national dex than before, but why should we be okay with LESS than the usual amount of Pokémon?

The extra bucks was just to point out that'd be hypothetically odd to pay more for a game with a lower standard than older games.
How many times do I have to say it? You. Don't. Buy. The. Game. For. The. Number. Of. Pokemon. In. It. You buy it to play a game! This isn't settling for less!

Again you don't buy a game for the data inside it.

Then... what do you buy a game for? The box art? The data inside, the content, is the whole reason for getting the game. The Pokémon themselves are content and a selling point. To some people, they’re a major selling point and a deciding factor in getting the games.

Again, the number of pokemon doesn't determine the price of the game, nor the quality.

I disagree on the quality part. I’ve seen people dislike or even skip out on certain Pokémon games like Black or Sun because they don’t like the roster. They feel the quality of Pokémon is poor, and thus the quality of the game(s) is(are) poor. If the regional Pokédex of SwSh has a bad lineup, I’d say that would affect the quality of the game to an extent.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom