• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

He’s such a good boy

Virbank Video

Reaction score
You know, Dexit really doesn’t bother me. It didn’t bother me when it was announced and it doesn’t bother me still. Like so many others, I saw it as an eventual inevitability for the series. It didn’t put me off or negatively affect my excitement for SwSh at all, I just kept me fingers crossed that most of my favourites would make the cut!

That being said...

Not one of my top 5 favourite Pokémon were included in the Galar Dex :X3: - it did provide me with a new favourite though, in Sirfetch’d - and a lot of designs which I think are some of the best in the series, such as the Dragapult line, Toxtricity, Polteageist and quite a few more. Design wise, I think Galar is a very strong region. Now, I know that a top 5 not being included doesn’t seem like much... it’s a small number. However, I’m not one of those fans who can easily list 100 Pokémon as Pokémon they love. I appreciate hundreds but my favourites are an exclusive group.

1. Stoutland
2. Lycanroc Dusk
3. Dragonite
4. Chimecho
5. Wigglytuff
and now 6. Sirfetch’d

4, 5 and 6 are somewhat interchangable depending on how I’m feeling. (Note - I don’t take pre-evolutions, Megas or G-Max Pokémon into consideration when picking favourites, that’s just me. I certainly appreciate a lot of those designs though - Mega Ampharos, G-Max Snorlax and Grimmsnarl to name a few)

ANYWAY... what am I waffling about?

Well, first of all a quick question - why is Manectric in Galar, when Boltund was introduced? Two electric canines...really?! It seems like an oversight to me. That’s all... just something that has kinda bugged me a little bit.

Now, let me tell you about my Stoutland...

I caught him as a Herdier in the Hidden Grotto at Floccesy Ranch in Black 2. He has an Adamant nature, he ‘likes to relax’ and was EV trained in Kalos and Hyper Trained in Alola. He has 27 ribbons, including a Contest Star Ribbon, a Battle Tree Master Ribbon and obviously the championship ribbon for every region he’s visited so far (with the exception of Unova because the ribbon doesn’t exist...damn Gamefreak, why?!) He’s such a good boy.

I was a little surprised when I discovered that the Stoutland line wouldn’t be in Galar. However, Gamefreak have a golden opportunity to reintroduce my favourite Pokémon and let me travel with him once again - Crown Tundra. I’m from Scotland - when that tweet went out, officially stating that Crown Tundra has been inspired by Scotland... man, that was so cool. I think it’s something that a lot of Pokémon fans really hope for... a region based on their own country. I thought that Galar would incorporate all of the UK in its design inspiration...and while I think it does in very little bits here and there, in my opinion it’s about 80/90% England, as opposed to the entire United Kingdom. I think to people from elsewhere around the world, it’s easy to assume that the landscape and architecture doesn’t differ much between Scotland and England. But really, it does. We have very distinct aesthetic differences on either side of the border. (Sorry Wales and Northern Ireland, don’t mean to ignore you here).

So were Gamefreak saving Stoutland for Crown Tundra all along?

Pokédex entries -

“It rescues people stranded by blizzards in the mountains”
“It’s a trustworthy partner on rescue teams”
“It pays no mind to the cold, thanks to it’s long warm coat”

Name origin (as per Bulbapedia) -

Stoutland may be a combination of stout (bulky) and land (a reference to terriers, whose name derived from the Latin terrameaning earth). It could also be a play on Scotland, as it draws inspiration from Scottish terriers.

Please Gamefreak, do the right thing! :ROFLMAO: And hey, if he can’t come back for Crown Tundra, maybe he can join me in Sinnoh...;)

(P.S - very pleased to be able to welcome Lycanroc back into my team when Isle of Armor is released!)

If anyone reads this and has a similar story about an absolute favourite Pokémon which for the first time has had to be left behind while you journey through a region, I’d love to hear about it!

Many of my favorites didn't make it to the games either, but I don't base my enjoyment on that so I'm not bothered.

I suspect Electrike was put on the game as the commoner for the Thunderstorm climate in the Wild Area, maybe they saw Yamper more as a house dog while Electrike is more "wild".

Your story was cute, I hope Stoutland can visit his "homeland" eventually.

You know, Dexit really doesn’t bother me. It didn’t bother me when it was announced and it doesn’t bother me still. Like so many others, I saw it as an eventual inevitability for the series. It didn’t put me off or negatively affect my excitement for SwSh at all, I just kept me fingers crossed that most of my favourites would make the cut!
This. I do agree that this was going to happen eventually. I mean, it was bound to happen anyway since the number of Pokemon is going up. That I beleive is the main reason they dropped the 'Gotta Catch em all' slogan. The number of Pokemon is so high that it really is not possible to do so.

That said, I too am bummed that some favorites of mine are not in the game, but that did not stop me from playing. Some new Pokemon are now among my favorites, like Toxtricity. Such a cool design. Coalossal as well. Heck, it was the MVP of the fight against Eternatus.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom