• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hey, I can do a team to RMT too!

Alexey

Pronounced "alek-sEi"
Reaction score
Some will be surprised by this, but this OU team is an actual OU team. Took me about an hour to hit 1400s on Showdown with this, so it fares pretty well, I believe.

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 Spd / 184 HP
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Gunk Shot
- Destiny Bond

The annoyer/secondary physical sweeper of the team. This is also what I was building the team around of. Sucker Punch, Will-O-Wisp, and Destiny Bond are, I believe, self-explanatory: the latter two being Prankster priority status moves, Destiny Bond guaranteeing at least one KO if played right. Gunk Shot is what I deem to be an element of "Alexey's weird stuff", serving as an anti-Fairy Stone Edge and nailing Chesnaught and Breloom (the latter especially if I burn it at a predicted switch and it has already put something else to sleep). However, its usefulness really depends on opponents team: if it doesn't have fairies or non-Ferrothorn Grass-types, it turns into a wasted moveslot (which is why I was also considering Knock Off for spam or Shadow Claw for STAB). When it does, though, the element of surpirise is very real. Except when it misses. Which I don't like. But it somehow misses a lot less than Stone Edge does.
Also does some scouting prior to MEvolution with Frisk.
As for the Speed EVs, they are needed to outspeed MScizor and Mamoswine (Mamoswines don't invest in Speed, right?)

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Primary sweeper. Nothing to explain, really, though I am not sure whether I should invest in Speed or in bulk.
I also reeeeeally want to put Stone Edge or Pursuit on it, but there's nothing to get rid of. :/

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Dazzling Gleam

Spinner/Special sweeper. Fun to KO non-Sashed Greninjas. :D
Scarf allows it to outspeed everything else that isn't Scarfed, whereas Psyshock allows not to be completely walled by some Special walls (though I am not sure if it's useful and I should go for coverage instead with something like Grass Knot, Signal Beam or TBolt).
And random burns, which is always good.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Well, SeedProtect Ferrothorn is SubProtect Ferrothorn. I have invested in SpDef, though I am not sure whether I should have some investment into Physical defenses (it takes most Physical hits pretty well anyway, and scares most physical attackers off with Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs).

Volcarona @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain

I needed something that can take special hits, nail Steel types after Chandelure is down or before I can afford to send it out, and take out Water types. Weakness policy is useful to switch in on a Scald (or even simply take one), because it pretty much never OHKOes and allows to hit back hard (usually with a Giga Drain). In addition, Bug coverage is pretty good and allows (sometimes) to take out Dark-types such as Tyranitar, if boosts were stacked prior to that.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

This is another Special Sweeper/revenge killer. Shadow Ball allows to 2HKO XZard, which allows to usually get rid of it, unless it decides to hit me without boosting (which doesn't happen often). Flash Fire is for an extra immunity to safely switch into Fire moves, it's three attacking moves are standard. Not sure, though, if I should drop Will-O-Wisp (I already have two burn-inflicting Pokemon on the team) for Pain Split or Psychic (the latter specifically to take down MVenusaur).

-------------
My primary concern is that I have absolutely nothing that packs EQ or Stone Edge/Rock Slide, but I don't know what to remove. In additiion, I used to run Vaporeon as cleric, but ended up replacing it with Chandelure beacuse I had nothing to revenge kill things.
In addition, the team's significant Ground weakness concerns me.

EDIT: Will try replacing Chandelure with banded Staraptor. Will try out once I return home.

Last edited:
A couple things I see that could be worked on here. First off items, you should replace black added with leftovers as it helps Bisharp stay around. Secondly having a scarf on your spinner is a bad idea. I'd suggest replacing it with a life orb to keep its sweeper like tendencies. You should instead give the scarf to the nuke (Chandalure) and replace will I wisp with HP fighting for a truly powerful RKer. I'd suggest swapping protect with Power Whip on ferrothorn for some coverage. He honestly doesn't need protect with bulk + recovery. I'd also suggest replacing gunk shot with shadow Claw or shadow sneak as it's very situational.

~For Bisharp, you shud try replacing Black Glasses for Life Orb. And keep the Speed Ev's over Hp.

~For Starmie, you shud replace it w/ Greninja. Greninja just outclasses Starmie in everyway x-cept for the access of rapid spin. And since Defog is a new entry hazard remover....hey hey hey~
And if your gana scarf Starmie, why not Scarf Greninja! :D

~For Ferrothorn, you shud keep it Defensive. Making it Spa Dafensive makes it Ability useless, and your gana want to use that ability.
Also, swap out the Rocky Helmet for Leftovers when using Protect. That's a free 6% Hp rite there every time you use it. And maybe 12% if they switch out. And yes, It does rack up.

~For Volcarona, you replace it completely because you have Chandelure. And you replace Volcarona and not Chandelure becuase you have a Ferrothorn. Chandelure and Ferrothorn check each other's weakness' thus, having good synergy. I would suggest a Dragon or a Flying Type for the missing spot. Or perhaps a Defogger or a Spinner.

and that is Jeff's Advice~
Woosh~!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :)

Banette. The issue I have with Shadow Claw is that it doesn't hit anything that Sucker Punch or Gunk Shot doesn't either. The only thing I can think of is Metagross. In addition, Banette is pretty slow and very frail, so it relies on priority and unexpected things: if I ever go for Shadow Claw, Banette will simply be KOed prior to it hitting anything. Shadow Sneak, however, is something I have been considering and will try out. Thanks.

Now, for Bisharp. Thanks for noticing the EVs, I have actually already changed them to max Speed. Don't know why I forgot to change them here. As for the Life Orb, I must say that Life Orb was my first item of choice. However, that recoil tends to KO myself at the worst of times, so I replaced it with Black Glasses after considering that Iron Head doesn't even need any boosting, it's Dark STABs being primary. I will, however, try Leftovers - this one didn't even cross my mind.

Starmie. First of all, there will be no Greninja on my team. My team will not be having a Greninja, a Talonflame, a Garchomp, a Dragonite, or a Rotom-W. Ever. It was hard enough to bring myself to use Ferrothorn. That's my personal quirk. :) Why it has Scarf is to KO other Scarfed 'mons, such as Hydreigon, and to not be outsped by 'mons that have Speed which is naturally higher than that of Starmie. As for the Life Orb + Rapid Spin combo, I was VERY hesitant about that at first, for obvious reasons. So I decided to simply try it, fail, and change Scarf for something else. However, it turned out to be a lot better than expected, as it allows, of all things, to feign weird sets (though I honestly don't know what that could be, without Life Orb recoil being revealed, but that's how it turned out to be in practice). After seeing a Rapid Spin and switching in something that can KO Starmie (to which I respond by switching out), most do not expect a Scarf when it comes out again. So I'll be keeping the Scarf for now.

Ferrothorn. This is where I'll be simply taking both advices and trying both sets out, as I don't have much experience with it.

Volcarona. Now that I think of it, it does seem like a better idea to swap it for something else. I guess that this is what will be going off in favour of Staraptor. However, I am hesitant to keep two Scarves on the team with Chandelure and Starmie.

Chandelure. HP Fighting isn't happening, because I have no way of getting one on cartridge (well, I do, but either breeding or finding one to trade will take extremely long time). In addition, I can't think of anything HP Fighting would KO that a combo of Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, and Flamethrower wouldn't KO. The only thing it would damage is Heatran, but Heatran will inevitable KO back with an Earth Power or whatnot. I am, however, slapping a Scarf on it.

Last edited:
I run 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD on my ferrothorn. It works quite well, you get the SpA boost and help his already incredible defense. You don't need to fully invest in SpD. I wouldn't recommend Staraptor I'd suggest Talonflame, but I understand why you wouldn't want to use him plus you have a RKer and fire type already. I'd suggest a bulky Crobat set with defog since you don't have a spinner. You can also use black sludge for some nice recovery.

Edit: as for hp fighting:

Umbreon
Heatran
Rhyperior
Tyranitar
Bisharp
Crawdaunt
Diggersby
Weavile
Excadrill
Greninja
Absol
Aggron

Most of those are hit by Energy Ball or Flamethrower.
I'd actually recommend HP Ground, for Heatran, as the other 3 moves deal with everything else on the list.

Most of those are hit by Energy Ball or Flamethrower.
I'd actually recommend HP Ground, for Heatran, as the other 3 moves deal with everything else on the list.

Let's not forget all those pesky normal types I didn't mention. Fighting is a great offensive type and while most pokemon I mentioned are covered HP fighting is still really good and garentees a OHKO on Aggron, Bisharp, and Tyranitar. Some common threats out there. I'm not nessecarily saying you need it, it's just really easy to take people by suprise with it.

I thought that HP Fighting was a staple? I'm sure I saw it once on some standard set...

In any case, what I was referring to is the fact that GenVI HP is only superior to other SE moves when it deals quad damage, with it having 60 BP. As of Normal-types, the most relevant of them are Blissey and Chansey, which are Blissey and Chansey and will therefore ignore the HP anyway. :D
I think I'll try both HP Ground and Fighting (as Psychic, which I have currently slapped in the 4th moveslot, doesn't add anything to the coverage, because there aren't many Poison-types which wouldn't be covered by Chandelure's other moves). Thanks for the recommendations. :)

Last edited:
Ferrothorn should run Relaxed 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD (I think BAK mentioned this)

Chandelure needs HP Fight because this:

252+ SpA Chandelure Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 180-212 (52.7 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even if literally every Pokémon in the game besides TTar was immune to HP Fight, you would still run it in the fourth slot because the ability to 2HKO TTar on the switch is invaluable. A Chandelure without HP Fight is like that nerdy kid on the playground with a "Kick Me" sign, but instead it says "Pursuit Me!"

1. Banette. You said this is an ou team, i dont the see reason why i see banette then. Sure prankster+diestiny bond is p good, But due to its fragility, it is almost always threatened to be ohko'd the turn it on. and with bulky mons like aegi everywhere i doubt this set would hold its ground in ou. For starters prankster does not activate in the turn you mega evolve so i suggest you put in a protect there. Also why gunk shot? It has a low acc and if it misses i am p sure banette cant take hits.
Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond

2. good set, nice glasses although the ev's need a bit work out. I dont see the point of the max speed ev's, yes it will help you speed creep things but i think a bulky sweeper for bisharp would be much better with 252 hp/252 atk/4 speed adamant obv.

3. Scarf starmie is new, bad gimmick nonetheless. Starmie is knows for its amazing coverage potential and its p good base speed. choice scarf would be much better on a excadril and you should consider it. since it gives a fast and powerful eq too. Also if you intend on using starmie switch scald for hydro pump because you need the power and thunderbolt/icebeam instead of dazzling gleam.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head

4. Standard ferro, no comments. But change the ev's to 252 hp/4atk/252 def with a relaxed nature

5. weakness policy on volcarona what?? Its even worse than sitrus volc tbh. with that rock weakness and ou being filled with scarf drills, mega ttar's and lando i am p sure this set wont survive not that it will without weakness policy either but volcarona cant abuse it as much as other mons like dnite or aegi.
Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]
this is what i use, helps beat heatran and chandel among other things but you could try the last slot with hp ice/rock too. item can be changed to life orb. But this is completely up to you.

6. chandelure is something i am not happy with in this team. It acts like an overview of everything else. Also the whole team becomes kinda scarf eq weak if played properly. since i referred exca over starmie, i think you should change chandel for rotom wash. absolute beast this gen and the typing helps your team too.

fun team and if you play on showdown hope we play against each other.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom