• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hey, please rate my team!

Reaction score
Okay so I guess some background info would be good to give you guys. I just got back into pokemon circa black/black 2, and the last version I played was gold/silver, so it's been a while. I've taken on the steep learning curve and I think I've done alright in making a team. I've beaten the PWT, Champions Tournament, Cynthia, Black Tower and all the other postgame fights but now I'm working on the Battle Subway and the last two super trains (multis and doubles) with a group of ten pokemon.

Here they are

Samurott Lv 90 (my starter) Torrent ability with a calm nature
Surf
Ice Beam
Megahorn
Hydro Cannon (thinking of changing this, idk what to though)

Garchomp Lv 81 w/ choice scarf
idr the nature, sand veil ability
outrage
dragon claw/soon to be fire fang
earthquake
dig

Zoroark Lv 94 with leftovers and a hasty nature
focus blast
swagger
dark pulse
grass knot

Electivire, lv 73 Hasty nature but motor drive is it's ability. Choice Band is the item it holds
psychic
brick break
ice punch
thunderbolt

Volcarona lv 69 Impish nature with Power herb (for the subway to charge up certain moves)
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Overheat
Solarbeam

Scrafty lv 70 with quick claw and bold nature
Drain Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch
Head smash

I have a few more pokemon that I switch in like Ampharos (lv 100), Mienshao (lv 50), Conkeldurr (lv 55), Jolteon (lv 54) and hopefully my reborn quagsire (MR SWAGSIRE) but for now these are the few I use. Critiques and advice are all welcome

Last edited:
If you want a long streak in the subway, you need to learn about ev's and iv's and then also apply that knowledge. It also helps a lot if you have a good strategy. As for the individual pokémon:

Surf
Ice Beam
Megahorn

Megahorn gets weakened by the calm nature, but because you haven't ev trained, keep it to not waste the attack ev's you undoubtedly have. I recommend grass knot over hydro cannon, you need a special move that can hit water types too, because of the lower attack stat.

outrage
earthquake
dig

You don't need both dig and earthquake. If you want to keep the choice scarf, remove dig for fire fang. Otherwise, don't teach it fore fang at all and teach it swords dance instead. Possible items to work with that is: lum berry, yache berry, life orb, haban berry.

focus blast
swagger
dark pulse
grass knot

Focus blast and swagger are terrible in the battle subway. Both of them rely on luck, which you won't have for a lot of consecutive battles. You need flamethrower on it to hit steel types. If its the N zorua, give it hidden power, that will be a decently powerful fighting move. Otherwise, nasty plot is a decent filler move for the last slot.
Leftovers is wasted on a frail pokémon. It will take so much damage that the recovery doesn't help. Focus sash is the ideal item.

Electivire, lv 73 Hasty nature but motor drive is it's ability. Choice Band is the item it holds
psychic
brick break
ice punch
thunderbolt

Choice band boosts its attack, so you should focus on physical moves. Therefore, replace thunderbolt by wild charge. Earthquake got similar coverage to brick break, but with more power, so replace brick break with earthquake. If you want to keep a special move (to not waste the ev's), replace psychic by flamethrower. Without flamethrower, it will struggle against pokémon such as forretress and ferrothorn.

Volcarona lv 69 Impish nature with Power herb (for the subway to charge up certain moves)
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Overheat
Solarbeam

Impish is a terrible nature for a Volcarona, it lowers Volcarona's important special attack. The moves and item is decent, you won't get a big improvement there.

Drain Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch
Head smash

Quick claw replies on luck and is therefore not good in the subway. Head smash deals a lot of recoil, Scrafty doesn't have the hp to take that, it's also inaccurate. Bold nature lowers its attack, which is bad for Scrafty. I'm unsure about what a good replacement for head smash is.

focus blast
swagger
dark pulse
grass knot

im no expert but ill give you my opinon firstly get rid of swagger its worthlesss confusion is not worth increasing there attack slap nast plot since zororak is a special attacker it will help you sweep pokemon. Grass knot is only good on heavy oppentes which you rarely see so i would get rid of it, zoroark has low defences so you could use u-turn to escape your enmey or night daze which has a great chance of decreasing accuracy of your oppnents accuracy helping you suruvive longer. since your weak to bug i would get rid of focus blast as its not worth the accuaracy it misses when you need it most so i would use flamethrower.

leftovers is bad on a pokemon will zorarks defneces and hit points use anything else that increases it dark type moves or a focus sash, use nasty plot survive opponents attack with focus sash and sweep with dark pulse.

Surf
Ice Beam
Megahorn
Hydro Cannon (thinking of changing this, idk what to though

as for your samurott i suggest replacing hydro cannon with rain dance which is what i have on mine but you could use revenge instead since your slow and will almost always go second, super power is a ove reliable fighting type move you could use this would mean you have more reliable attacking options

Drain Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch
Head smash

scaffty i would get rid of that head smash its inacurate and hurts you i think you should take a chance on high jump kick slighlty more accurate gets same type attack boost and will only deal dmage on you if it misses ,drian punch is ok as your only fighting type move but i suggest somthing stronger to back it up

quick claws ok i guess i cant think if much else at the moment to replace it with. all our other pokemon and movesets are good you have been a bit unlucky on some of the natures but it happens

Grass knot is only good on heavy oppentes which you rarely see so i would get rid of it

Zoroark doesn't have a good replacement for it. It gets 80 power against most of the pokémon in the subway (if I remember correctly), which is decent power and the coverage isn't too bad.

or night daze which has a great chance of decreasing accuracy of your oppnents accuracy helping you suruvive longer.

The flinch chance from dark pulse is a lot more reliable. Also, the 5% chance to miss can be fatal in the subway.

as for your samurott i suggest replacing hydro cannon with rain dance

Two surfs are more powerful than one surf after a rain dance. You also get two chances on a critical hit. Three surfs will deal as much damage as one rain dance and two surfs, but 3 surfs have a higher chance of getting a critical hit. The samurott won't last long enough for rain dance to be beneficial. There's also the fact that it makes Volcarona's fire STAB less powerful. It's a useless move, there are better uses of the moveslot.

which is what i have on mine but you could use revenge instead since your slow and will almost always go second, super power is a ove reliable fighting type move you could use this would mean you have more reliable attacking options

In addition to a lower base atk than base sp. atk, it also got a calm nature. Physical moves are not ideal. It does better with a special majority.

hey guys, thanks for the feedback :)

quick update, I got rid of dig on garchomp and replaced it with stone edge, but I'm thinking of going with fire fang instead cause stone edge has not been as helpful as I thought it would be in the subway

I also got rid of swagger on zoroark and put U-turn, then replaced the leftovers with a Wide Lens (this was before I saw your posts today so don't think I'm not listening) to make up for the inaccuracy of Focus Blast. I don't know where to get some of those berries but I do have a life orb or two to use in case that's better than the wide lens or Focus sash. To further clarify things this is N's Zoroark by the way, and I think I still have the Hidden Power TM. I like that TM's are reusable now, really saves a LOT of trouble

I'm a bit disappointed to hear Volcarona's nature hampers it so >_<. Why's the game gotta do me like that maaan?

Samurott I can definitely say I'm glad to hear you guys dig the idea of Grass Knot on him, as I was debating that for a while.

Ah, an awesome thread started by my Gen II fan friend, Typhlosionisafirebadger.

Can this be another team-rating thread that ignores annoying things like tiers(that I have yet to learn) and instead lets everyone constructively rate teams?
To be honest, in-game team, UU team, OU team... It's all the same, isn't it? I mean, no matter what, you'll breed a Pokemon for the right nature and Egg Moves, then EV train them if you can, then you'll trade them over(usually letting your new game hatch them to have the right OT) and then do everything with them. I mean, some things, like the Battle Frontier, Battle Subway, and PWT are nearly the same as competitive battling, right?

So can I post a team here?

Oh, and DO NOT TEACH GARCHOMP FIRE FANG(unless you have Forretress, Ferrothrorn, and Scizor)
If you want to cover Ice, I advise Iron Head.

Ah, an awesome thread started by my Gen II fan friend, Typhlosionisafirebadger.

Can this be another team-rating thread that ignores annoying things like tiers(that I have yet to learn) and instead lets everyone constructively rate teams?
To be honest, in-game team, UU team, OU team... It's all the same, isn't it? I mean, no matter what, you'll breed a Pokemon for the right nature and Egg Moves, then EV train them if you can, then you'll trade them over(usually letting your new game hatch them to have the right OT) and then do everything with them. I mean, some things, like the Battle Frontier, Battle Subway, and PWT are nearly the same as competitive battling, right?

So can I post a team here?

Oh, and DO NOT TEACH GARCHOMP FIRE FANG(unless you have Forretress, Ferrothrorn, and Scizor)
If you want to cover Ice, I advise Iron Head.
Hey man! sorry for the late response but sure, this can be a thread like that since I got some good advice. I've been meaning to come back and post updates here.

I went with Rock Slide instead of Fire Fang in the hopes that I can make the AI flinch a bit more and use Garchomp that way to cover people. I know Zoroark is frail as hell so I've used the wide lens and his tremendous speed to fire off stuff and sweep people.

I've never really done the breeding thing before and I had to adjust to the physical/special split but It's been a learning process. I'll try Iron head and see how that works out for me. I usually couple Garchomp with someone that can take care of ice but thanks for the tip dude

Originally Posted by Typhlosionisafirebadger:
I went with Rock Slide instead of Fire Fang in the hopes that I can make the AI flinch a bit more and use Garchomp that way to cover people. I know Zoroark is frail as hell so I've used the wide lens and his tremendous speed to fire off stuff and sweep people.

Iron Head and Rock Slide have the same flinch rate, but Iron head is more powerful and more accurate.

Also, for Zoroark I completely recommend Flamethrower but I think you also should keep Focus Blast.

Alright, I need a few more shards to teach Garchomp Iron Head, and I taught Zoroark flamethrower to balance his moveset out. U-Turn wasn't doing what I wanted it to :(

Now uh I have a question about Scrafty. I'm thinking of teaching him hi-jump kick but I'd like to keep drain punch as well, good idea?

his other moves are ice punch, crunch and dragon claw (probably getting rid of this for something else, like fire punch maybe)

Alright, I need a few more shards to teach Garchomp Iron Head, and I taught Zoroark flamethrower to balance his moveset out. U-Turn wasn't doing what I wanted it to :(

Now uh I have a question about Scrafty. I'm thinking of teaching him hi-jump kick but I'd like to keep drain punch as well, good idea?

his other moves are ice punch, crunch and dragon claw (probably getting rid of this for something else, like fire punch maybe)

For more shards, just do the funfest mission.

Redo your Scrafty and get a better nature(such as adamant) or run a special set(which really doesn't work for Scrafty).
I like the move Drain Punch though. You can combine it with moves like Bulk Up and Substitute to make your Scrafty a defensive behemoth.

okay so for scrafty if I can't catch a new one that I like, the ideal move set would be bulk up, drain punch, substitute and rest with the berry that wakes you up on the same turn might change rest for Payback though since he's not that quick

Okay so I guess some background info would be good to give you guys. I just got back into pokemon circa black/black 2, and the last version I played was gold/silver, so it's been a while. I've taken on the steep learning curve and I think I've done alright in making a team. I've beaten the PWT, Champions Tournament, Cynthia, Black Tower and all the other postgame fights but now I'm working on the Battle Subway and the last two super trains (multis and doubles) with a group of ten pokemon.

Here they are

Surf
Ice Beam
Megahorn

outrage
earthquake
dig

focus blast
swagger
dark pulse
grass knot

psychic
brick break
ice punch
thunderbolt

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Overheat
Solarbeam

Drain Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch
Head smash

I have a few more pokemon that I switch in like Ampharos (lv 100), Mienshao (lv 50), Conkeldurr (lv 55), Jolteon (lv 54) and hopefully my reborn quagsire (MR SWAGSIRE) but for now these are the few I use. Critiques and advice are all welcome

I think that Electivire should replace Thunderbolt with Tunderpunch. Wolt Charge is fine too but it gives recoil. Then replace Psychic with something else. I dont know what but Electivire is not good at special moves. On Samurott Scaid instead of Hydro Canon. I have Scald on my own Samurott and it works well.

Hey dude, this is kind if old but yea my samurott has scale now and I went with the elemental punches and Buick break for vire

team over all looks really good but theres a few questionable move slots. im assuming you are using them for move coverage but it makes your pokemon alot less effective then they could be. for one i would ditch hydro cannon on samurrott, try replacing it with aqua jet maybe just to get a priority move but having hydrocannon is redundant if you have surf. samething with garchomp, i would pick either dig or earthquake, its your choice but earthquake hits harder. why do you have psychic and thunderbolt on Electivire if he has a choice band? stick with phisical attacks or change the item. lastly zoroark is a great pokemon and im sure he is affetive as is but alot of sets use sucker punch on it and it might make him even more effective. just some suggestions hope they help good look with the battle subway!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom