• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hi, I'm the LivingAngryCheese.

LivingAngryCheese

the Shadow Hunter
Reaction score
So I've signed up for the cross-forum mafia game (I'm from FTB) and I was like, 'Bulbagarden! That's that Pokemon thing isn't it! I'm going to join it!' So here I am. That was a very short story.

I've been playing since Pokemon platinum, and my favourite starter is piplup. My favorite Pokemon is darkrai.

Hi, welcome to the forums :)

I hope you have a great time here, and if you need any help, feel free to ask me or another staff member.
Thanks! By the way, could somebody explain what the mass forum games are and how they work?

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks! By the way, could somebody explain what the mass forum games are and how they work?

I'm assuming you mean URPG and FB. I don't know much about FB, so I'll leave that to someone else. For URPG, I tried to include the basics of what you need to know in the starter approval post (and I'm not sure if you've figured it out since this question anyways), but I'll do my best to explain it a bit further and feel free to message me or ask in the general chat thread if there's anything I missed.

In general, "large scale forum RPGs" (RPG is sometimes a misnomer, the actually level of RP involved varies a lot) are similar to MMOs but primarily based on forums. There is some form of progress involved that is kept over any length of time, even if you vanish for years (as long as the game still exists and your information can be found) and usually some sort of currency which is earned in game (I have yet to see one that has any real-world currency involved in any way) and used to purchase some (or all) of the things you want. They are obviously based on forums, but often include discussions or events through other methods such as instant messenger applications. You are typically responsible for keeping track of your own stats, such as what Pokémon you have acquired and how much currency you have on hand, which also allows quite a bit of freedom in how you'd like to do so (as long as it includes the basic information it needs).

URPG in particular has five main sections and a trial section. The main sections are:
Battles: Almost identical to in game battles but with a few changes. There is no four move limit (and there also aren't restrictions based on method moves are obtained, for instance a Charizard accepts TM Reflect even though it only does in gen 1 games and event moves can be acquired no matter the origins of the event). Critical hits cannot occur unless something increases the chance of it (such as using Slash or Focus Energy, other critical hit rates are unchanged). Randomized damage is fixed. An attack that does a certain amount of damage will always do that much damage in the same circumstances.
Contests: Again, almost identical to those found in the games with some changes. There are contests based on Hoenn contests in RSE and based on Sinnoh contests in DPPt, as well as another mode made specifically for URPG. Again there is no four move limit. Moves more recent than the original generation were filled in by the Head of Contests at the time of move release, so more recent moves are still usable. [ORAS contests have been in a bit of a limbo because of this]
Stories: Those who are good with story-writing (or even those who aren't) can write stories to capture Pokémon. Pokémon are divided into ranks based on a variety of criteria, higher ranks have more requirements on what stories can pass while lower ranks are pretty easy to achieve if you just make a good effort, even if you're not a great story writer.
Art: Similarly, you can use pretty much any form of art you can think of to capture Pokémon, again with various ranks being easier or harder. I've seen art forms varying from Minecraft sculptures to actual sculptures to banners to hand-drawn pictures to tapestries to Photoshop-made images and more.
National Park: The main RP area, you can bring a few of the Pokémon you've acquired into the park with the ability to capture more Pokémon while you are in there.

It's worth mentioning that while it sounds like you need to be artistically skilled to get Pokémon, it's entirely possible to get what you want without any level of artistic skill, but obviously it still requires effort in other places. For instance, I have barely any artistic talent in any of those three last areas and still have managed to get 129 Pokémon, I think the second most (maybe third) out of anyone I'm aware of. Pokémon can be acquired at the Pokémart (with currency earned by participating in the non-artistic areas or by doing a profession for any of those areas) or Berry Store (with currency earned through Contests). Things not obtainable in either of those can usually be acquired by trading (things acquirable at the mart) with someone who acquires them from writing, art, or the park.

The trial section isn't yet here, but it's a different RP-based section. Feel free to ask me more about by PM (or "Conversations" as I think they call them now?) if you want more info.

While it is possible to do all things related to URPG on the forums, most people prefer to use an instant messenger such as AIM or Skype to speed things up. We also have a set of channels on the same IRC server as Bulbagarden's, but that hasn't been very widely used. If you need invites to any of those, feel free to ask me or any other URPG Staff member (only staff can invite to the AIM chat, but if you did ask someone else they should be able to direct you to the correct person). We're always happy to answer questions and get things like chat invites taken care of!

As I said before, I'm pretty clueless about FB so maybe someone else can help you there, but I hope this answers all your URPG questions! If not, I'm always happy to answer the ones you may still have or otherwise help you get started. [And if this is too long and you just want to ask a few questions, I'm happy to answer those even if I mentioned it here]

So I've signed up for the cross-forum mafia game (I'm from FTB) and I was like, 'Bulbagarden! That's that Pokemon thing isn't it! I'm going to join it!' So here I am. That was a very short story.

I've been playing since Pokemon platinum, and my favourite starter is piplup. My favorite Pokemon is darkrai.
You... You.. Look.. Familair....

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom