• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Hidden stuff about Sonia

RAPTOR948

Reaction score
Okay, when I first looked up the new lab assistant Sonia, I got curious. For one, her name is the Slavic version, as Sonya is Germanic, and Sonja is from old Nordic. I did some digging to find out more.

Sonia is a word to describe wisdom. Sonia meaning Wisdom, you get the feel of her name with her character design. Wisdom is the general theme of her design.

Another point I noticed is that Sonia is dressed particularly warm, which is not uncommon for Slavic people in temperate climates. Dressing in layers is a common Slavic practice in temperate climates.

A feature I noticed on Sonia is that she has an armband much like the dynamax armband the player gets in-game, which suggests she may use the effect herself, and likely has a powerful team of Pokémon herself... Possibly bear or generally Slavic-themed...

Well, remember that among Viking clans, included Slavic, Germanic, and Celtic. And much of Europe's culture was forged by the nords of the various Viking clans.

Sonia is a Slavic name, and her name means wisdom. So the theme is undoubtedly apt. And let's not forget that there is a LOT of depth to Pokémon NPCs, which helps to make the entire game feel more alive.

And let's not forget that there is a LOT of depth to Pokémon NPCs, which helps to make the entire game feel more alive.
Explain yourself. So far Sonia just seems like an older Bianca, with Leon as Cheren if he became the Champion. Those two had some depth, but it was nothing special (unless a girl giving up on the central feature of the games is supposed to be an accomplishment). By the way, "Bel" (Bianca's Japanese name) is Slavic, too. Big whoop.

And it makes sense that Sonia is a Dynamax user considering that she is supposed to research it. Of course, there is very little to discover about it other than its (irrelevant) origin. It's been part of the league for years.

For all we know, the professors in Galar are the only ones to discover it, and it remained isolated from the rest of the world. The details being few and far in between, and professors hitting a brick wall as to it's secrets.

My theory is that Sonia and Leon are both part of an evil team and Leon is using his champion persona to cover for her and distract people's attention.

My theory is that Sonia and Leon are both part of an evil team and Leon is using his champion persona to cover for her and distract people's attention.
I don’t think she’s evil. Probably in love with Leon though so when he’s revealed to be the evil team leader, she either asks you to save him, or begs him to go back to his old self and then still dumps everything on you. Or maybe she decides to defend her unrequited love.

I don’t think she’s evil. Probably in love with Leon though so when he’s revealed to be the evil team leader, she either asks you to save him, or begs him to go back to his old self and then still dumps everything on you. Or maybe she decides to defend her unrequited love.
I have a feeling the "childhood friends" scenario could really develop into something like that, especially since there's a lot of anime/manga detailing stories of childhood friends falling for each other (or being one-sided). We have the professor's assistant who seems to have a secret mission, and we have this champion who's got a heroic persona and huge popularity which may or may not be a façade (or being used like N). There's so much potential to make a brilliant drama with the human characters.

True, and there is potential for something like seeing Sonia beating us to the punch of the championship, and showing she's extremely tactical, like how Cynthia is the most difficult champion of any generation with her versatile team. We might be hard pressed to beat her team if she is a potential opponent!

The name Sonia originates from a Russian Diminutive of Sophia. When dealing with eastern Europeans, the name is Common amongst Romanians and Poles.

The UK has large immigrant communities of both peoples. It wouldn't be surprising if Sonia is the Pokeverse equivalent of Polish or Romanian. It would be funny if this was used to telegraph the region after this one.

BTW (no pun intended) Cheren may have been chosen as a name because it contains a common Slavic root that means black (think Chernobyl. It's ukranian for "black forest")

SONIA stands for the Sterling Overnight Index Average, an Interest Rate Benchmark administered by the Bank of England. The central bank of where Galar is based on.

So she’s a nod to the British Banking Sector. ;)

Now I know the villain will be called Libor. It all makes sense.

If Sonia isn't evil, then the developers of Dynamax could be using her as a pawn. But since Sonia was just researching the Dynamax, she could find out the (unnamed) Dynamax company would be on bribery with International Police to keep secrets from being leaked to public, with many other Dynamax users unknown about it. Unlike Mega Evolutions which could be imported relics, or Z-Moves which are alien technologies, Dynamax would be Galar's Shadow Pokémon, developed by (evil) company to fool people into their technologies for purposes.

If the "Dynamax company bribes International Police" becomes true, then International Police is the true evil team behind the scene, since in real life, UK can have police issues like officers beating pedestrians up. This is highly unlikely, given Game Freak, being Japanese, doesn't want to show police being evil, unless they could want to. We had evil police officers in Japanese-made media, but still.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom