• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV High Guardian Spice - Crunchyroll's first Western cartoon

Reaction score
E8JChW0WYAA2X1t

In 2018, Crunchyroll randomly dropped a trailer for, of all things, a Western cartoon that they funded, called High Guardian Spice. Buuuut said trailer was more like a behind-the-scenes featurette you'd find on a DVD than an actual trailer, revealing absolutely nothing about the show itself, not even a story premise or character names, just the staff talking about it, along with said trailer talking up more to the fact that its staff was all female and diverse than anything about the show. To say this trailer made a BAD impression...is an understatement. High Guardian Spice became a literal target overnight, with millions of people just absolutely hating on the trailer, and the show itself by extension, hurling nothing but vitriol at it for a variety of reasons, some reasonable (Why is Crunchyroll funding a Western cartoon? Shouldn't this be on Nick or Cartoon Network?), some not-so-reasonable (We don't need no SJW stuff in our animez!!! Wokes and gender politics are ruining everything!!! The whole show is shit even though we never even watched it!!! We're gonna keep hating it and everything about it no matter what!!!). Needless to say, the backlash was so severe that the show wouldn't even be mentioned again for another three years, with an actual trailer dropping later on. Today, the entire show was put up on Crunchyroll. Unfortunately, the bad first impression was still fresh in peoples' minds, and some continue to hate it even after the fact. Some are even hating it because one staff member was revealed to be rather...intensely misandrist, even though that person is just, well, one person who worked on the show, completely ignoring the fact that a whole team of different people worked on it.

Myself? I actually DO plan on watching it, because, frankly, I really think all the mindless hatred it got is really overblown. HGS was just a victim of poor decisions and bad marketing, and, for some reason, Crunchyroll put a warning on it saying it contains content for mature audiences even though it has nothing of the sort. The creator of the show even confirmed this in an interview fairly recently. I want to actually give HGS a fair chance, judge it for myself, and see if it's really as bad as people claim it is rather than just hate on it because it exists. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. And thus, I commence the official discussion thread for High Guardian Spice. Remember: Keep discussion limited to the show itself, and the rules of the forum apply here as well. Any discussion of the show must be civil and rational. Please be considerate of others and...well, don't be a jerk. If you like the show, cool. If you don't, that's fine, too, but any harassment, bullying, or vitriol made in bad faith will not be tolerated.

Just remembered this show out of the blue a couple of days ago and was wondering whatever happened with it.
To say this trailer made a BAD impression...is an understatement. High Guardian Spice became a literal target overnight, with millions of people just absolutely hating on the trailer, and the show itself by extension, hurling nothing but vitriol at it for a variety of reasons, some reasonable (Why is Crunchyroll funding a Western cartoon? Shouldn't this be on Nick or Cartoon Network?), some not-so-reasonable (We don't need no SJW stuff in our animez!!! Wokes and gender politics are ruining everything!!! The whole show is shit even though we never even watched it!!! We're gonna keep hating it and everything about it no matter what!!!).
Can personally attest to that. I was a regular on Crunchyroll's forums at the time, and I still have trouble believing some of the things I saw.

Alright, finally finished it today and...I like it! It's nothing special and it does have issues, but now, having watched the entire show, I can say with fairness that HGS does NOT deserve the utter vitriol it's gotten. Will write my review of it on my blog later on.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom